Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by desperado »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:They often have to make do without Olding, but losing Jackson for a large chunk of the season could end up being disastrous
Very, very serious challenge for the two guys and a major wake-up shout for all sports stars - no matter what the outcome.

This is the sort of situation which has been more familiar in the NFL in the past and more recently with high profile soccer stars across Europe.

Profile and reputation don't win matches, but they are the core components in generating sporting income.

Hope the lads have a just outcome.
I'm sure you hope that justice prevails.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I remember that Mils Muliana was charged with sexual assault a while back. The police came to his hotel room in Wales arrested him and led him away in handcuffs. It turned out he had allegedly pinched some girls ass in a nightclub. It was thrown out after a few months as rubbish and while I in no way condone that type of behavior to women at all the British law system is a lot more draconian and less sensible than ours. They are a lot quicker to prosecute and while I have no idea if the two players are guilty or innocent it does not surprise me for a second that this has gone to trial. The faintest sliver of evidence and they will bring it to the courts.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

desperado wrote:I'm sure you hope that justice prevails.
I was just about to post something similar.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

sunshiner1 wrote:I remember that Mils Muliana was charged with sexual assault a while back. The police came to his hotel room in Wales arrested him and led him away in handcuffs. It turned out he had allegedly pinched some girls ass in a nightclub. It was thrown out after a few months as rubbish and while I in no way condone that type of behavior to women at all the British law system is a lot more draconian and less sensible than ours. They are a lot quicker to prosecute and while I have no idea if the two players are guilty or innocent it does not surprise me for a second that this has gone to trial. The faintest sliver of evidence and they will bring it to the courts.
Let's not be too quick to generalise about the prosecution of rape. Neither you nor I have any idea at all of the details of this particular matter. As someone who has professional involvement with the justice system (in this State) I can assure you that cases of rape/sexual assault require far more than the 'faintest sliver of evidence' before they get to trial and to extrapolate from the Miliaina case that the CPS are trigger happy in this regard is quite a leap. Muliaina wasn't prosecuted as there was insufficient evidence. The criteria employed by the prosecution services in Belfast may well differ from those used in Cardiff. What is certain is that no-one on this forum will have any useful input into the matter.

TLDR: Let's all shut up about the case until it concludes
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hippo wrote:TLDR: Let's all shut up about the case until it concludes
I concur
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Leaving aside the case as I don't think commenting on something nobody knows anything about is really helpful, this is a huge blow for Ulster and Ireland. I'm a Sheffield United fan and the length and nature of the Ched Evans trial blew an almost guaranteed promotion. From an Irish point of view, J10 is constantly being targeted and is not getting any younger so his body will need management when he's available. Joey is currently injured so from an Irish perspective we are pretty vulnerable. Ulster are completely screwed having lost Jackson and Pienaar. I wonder would the IRFU consider throwing the cheque book at the problem and bring Madigan to Ulster?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Is McPhillips still at Ulster?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Flash Gordon wrote:Leaving aside the case as I don't think commenting on something nobody knows anything about is really helpful, this is a huge blow for Ulster and Ireland. I'm a Sheffield United fan and the length and nature of the Ched Evans trial blew an almost guaranteed promotion. From an Irish point of view, J10 is constantly being targeted and is not getting any younger so his body will need management when he's available. Joey is currently injured so from an Irish perspective we are pretty vulnerable. Ulster are completely screwed having lost Jackson and Pienaar. I wonder would the IRFU consider throwing the cheque book at the problem and bring Madigan to Ulster?
Hasn't he just signed a (rumoured) whooper with Bristol? Getting him out of that might be financially 'problematic' at best.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

The following wouldn't inspire much confidence if I were an Ulster fan...

Scrum Half
John Cooney
Paul Marshall
Dave Shannahan
Aaron Cairns
Jonny Stewart

Out Half
Peter Nelson
Brett Herron
Jonny McPhillips
Angus Curtis
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

domhnallj wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:Leaving aside the case as I don't think commenting on something nobody knows anything about is really helpful, this is a huge blow for Ulster and Ireland. I'm a Sheffield United fan and the length and nature of the Ched Evans trial blew an almost guaranteed promotion. From an Irish point of view, J10 is constantly being targeted and is not getting any younger so his body will need management when he's available. Joey is currently injured so from an Irish perspective we are pretty vulnerable. Ulster are completely screwed having lost Jackson and Pienaar. I wonder would the IRFU consider throwing the cheque book at the problem and bring Madigan to Ulster?
Hasn't he just signed a (rumoured) whooper with Bristol? Getting him out of that might be financially 'problematic' at best.
Yep, 500k I believe though 20% less with sterling's depreciation. Top level rugby, international rugby vs playing the Ealing Trailfinders might help though.....from an Irish perspective, we're a bit thin on the ground and as posted and as Ciaran posted, Ulster are totally focked!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

domhnallj wrote:
Wonder if they could procure him on a season-long loan? Would no doubt be expensive though.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Hioppo

TLDR: Let's all shut up about the case until it concludes
I've said my piece and happy to let justice take it's course.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

cormac wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Wonder if they could procure him on a season-long loan? Would no doubt be expensive though.
Not a bad idea, Bristol should walk it in that division and they have an international fly half in Pisi in place already. I'd honestly be surprised if they lose a game all year but Madigan's salary will put a huge dent in their finances!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

CiaranIrl wrote:The following wouldn't inspire much confidence if I were an Ulster fan...

Scrum Half
John Cooney
Paul Marshall
Dave Shannahan
Aaron Cairns
Jonny Stewart

Out Half
Peter Nelson
Brett Herron
Jonny McPhillips
Angus Curtis
Nope it does not inspire any confidence at all and was one hell of a reason that Pienaar should have been kept knowing this was pretty much sure to happen after the BBC leaked the original story that they were being questioned, that garnered public interest and any chance of charges being dropped vapourised. It could well be a lengthy court case and I doubt they will feature this season unless a judge takes the stance that evidence is too poor for a full trial, this again is unlikely because of their public standing as players and also the previous media interest. All will become clearer after first court date when charges are put to them on 23rd August.

Meanwhile Ulster have not only lost their preferred 10 but also his backup and none of the alternatives inspire any confidence at all at this stage.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Sign Bryn Gatland as a project player. That would be amazing.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

CiaranIrl wrote:Sign Bryn Gatland as a project player. That would be amazing.
It certainly would as Munster already have Tyler Bleyendaal as a project.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Isn't Bleyendaal IQ this season? If Connacht were allowed sign Deegan who is a project I don't see why Ulster would be not allowed too. It seems to be a free for all at the moment because of the new residency time laws
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

sunshiner1 wrote:Isn't Bleyendaal IQ this season? If Connacht were allowed sign Deegan who is a project I don't see why Ulster would be not allowed too. It seems to be a free for all at the moment because of the new residency time laws
Can't see them allowing another project though and there is also the cost to come in so IRFU would have to sanction that as well as I don't see insurance paying out in the circumstances.
There is also the fact that Gatland might not even want to move
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Gosh, why not? After us treating his father so well?
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Isn't Bleyendaal IQ this season? If Connacht were allowed sign Deegan who is a project I don't see why Ulster would be not allowed too. It seems to be a free for all at the moment because of the new residency time laws
TB IQs in January
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon