Rob Kearney

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Didn't they play in Dublin?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Latest arrivals and injury update heard this week.

James Lowe will arrive in October. Fardy will arrive this weekend in Dublin. Ringrose will be our longest recovery. Henshaw ETA estimated mid to late September. J10 and SO'B no major issues other than already indicated in media. Jamie training from this week.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Seems that everyone bar the Lions 5 are back in pre-season training this week.

As for James Lowe he's contracted with Tasman through to the end of the Mitre 10 Cup. That comp start on August 17 and the round-robin games finish on the weekend of 13/14 October. Semi-finals and finals a week and two weeks later respectively. So, he'll definitely be unavailable for the first two rounds of the Champions Cup. At best he'll probably be available for a game on the October bank holiday weekend, but more likely to be November before he plays for us.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Latest arrivals and injury update heard this week.

James Lowe will arrive in October. Fardy will arrive this weekend in Dublin. Ringrose will be our longest recovery. Henshaw ETA estimated mid to late September. J10 and SO'B no major issues other than already indicated in media. Jamie training from this week.
This I find especially galling. Ringrose went on the tour to USA and Japan. Don't get me wrong - the tour was valuable on many levels but if a player is playing through an injury surely he should not have gone on a relatively low key tour (where several other non-Lions picks were also left at home). Ringrose played all three matches when he could instead have had his shoulder surgery around five weeks earlier than he did. His five month recovery period suggests it wasn't that minor an issue.
Four Stars
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Is that official RTB? Henshaw back mid Sept would be a boost. Of the two injured centres, we could probably do with him more as ROL can play a passable Ringrose impression but we have nobody who can do likewise for Henshaw.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Lar wrote:

This I find especially galling. Ringrose went on the tour to USA and Japan. Don't get me wrong - the tour was valuable on many levels but if a player is playing through an injury surely he should not have gone on a relatively low key tour (where several other non-Lions picks were also left at home). Ringrose played all three matches when he could instead have had his shoulder surgery around five weeks earlier than he did. His five month recovery period suggests it wasn't that minor an issue.
apparently it was minor and then playing 3 more games made it worse.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Lar wrote:

apparently it was minor and then playing 3 more games made it worse.
Yeah- amazing, who'd have thunked that might be the result of playing on an injury...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

artaneboy wrote:Yeah- amazing, who'd have thunked that might be the result of playing on an injury...

I suppose they thought the experience he would gain of Japan ahead of the World Cup meant that it was worth the risk. The IRFU like playing the long game. It could all work out pretty well in the end
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

leinsterforever wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Yeah- amazing, who'd have thunked that might be the result of playing on an injury...

I suppose they thought the experience he would gain of Japan ahead of the World Cup meant that it was worth the risk. The IRFU like playing the long game. It could all work out pretty well in the end
Ah come on! Let's just admit they f~#ked up- shall we? There's no upside in Ringrose being out with a serious injury just as he's starting to realise his potential. And there's definitely no benefit to Leinster.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

If anything, I reckon the kid was hoping he might get a call up to the Lions, if he was out playing in Japan with Joe. At the end of the day it's his own decision, whether to play on through injury or take a break and have it seen to. I for one wouldn't begrudge him risking missing the start of the Leinster season, in order to keep himself in with a chance of playing on a Lions tour to NZ.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

Ah come on! Let's just admit they f~#ked up- shall we? There's no upside in Ringrose being out with a serious injury just as he's starting to realise his potential. And there's definitely no benefit to Leinster.
They don't give a shart about leinster. Bringing Ringer is what was best for Ireland long term. We often criticise them for their short term out look. I dont have a problem with this.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote:
I suppose they thought the experience he would gain of Japan ahead of the World Cup meant that it was worth the risk.
What does this actually mean? Experience of Japan? Did he become a salaryman for a year or something? Because it looked to me like they stayed in a big global luxury hotel chain with their own chef and went on tourist trips. I doubt they actually met anyone japanese that hadn't been put on the schedule 6 months previously!

Experience of Japan, mar dhea!
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
I suppose they thought the experience he would gain of Japan ahead of the World Cup meant that it was worth the risk.
What does this actually mean? Experience of Japan? Did he become a salaryman for a year or something? Because it looked to me like they stayed in a big global luxury hotel chain with their own chef and went on tourist trips. I doubt they actually met anyone japanese that hadn't been put on the schedule 6 months previously!

Experience of Japan, mar dhea!
It's fairly obviously a benefit for players to have visited and experienced the culture, climate, food and stadiums of a country that many of them will be playing a World Cup in. Particularly so when it's Japan.
Silly comment Dave.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Experienced the culture? They were on a package tour with some rugby. The stadium thing might have some value, but the rest of it was club 18-30 for ruggers. I mean one of their works outings was to an american football game. In f%~king japan. After leaving America. Oh they've all gone totally otaku now alright
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

That's as maybe. They mightn'd have learnt squat about Japanese "culture", but they got to check out the place in terms of logistics, food, temperatures etc. etc. Essentially it was an acclimatisation trip in preparation for RWC 2019, so that when they they get there in two years time, they'll hit the ground running. As I said in an earlier post, I thing Ringrose's presence on the tour had less to do with national team duty and more to do with keeping himself on Gatland's radar - and that's his own choice and responsibility not the IRFU's. Joe's or Lucifora's.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:Experienced the culture?
I see you've tried to strawman my response there, but in any case, yes, as you'll know if you've been to Japan there are an inordinate amount of small cultural nuances that will be unfamiliar. Just like there are when travelling to NZ, Aus or SA.
They might be more insulated from this, but if culture familiarity means they are 1% more comfortable than other sides when the RWC comes around then it'll be worth it.

And then there's all the other things I mentioned that you conveniently ignored :lol:
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

Dev Toner is big in Japan.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Of course they'll hit the ground running (or as running as we ever do at world cups) - they'll be staying in the same kind of hotel they always stay in all over the world, eating the same food the IRFU nutritionists prepare for them in Carton House and they'll acclimatise to the temperatures the same way they do whenever they go somewhere hot.

The trip had absolutely nothing to do with RWC 2019 and everything to do with RWC2023. And thats okay, but lets not pretend its any different
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Experienced the culture?
I see you've tried to strawman my response there, but in any case, yes, as you'll know if you've been to Japan there are an inordinate amount of small cultural nuances that will be unfamiliar. Just like there are when travelling to NZ, Aus or SA.
They might be more insulated from this, but if culture familiarity means they are 1% more comfortable than other sides when the RWC comes around then it'll be worth it.

And then there's all the other things I mentioned that you conveniently ignored :lol:
When someone uses the word strawman, its generally because they resemble Baum's

I mentioned the stadia and have since dismissed the trite rubbish about food and temperature also.
I have Bumbleflex
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Dave Cahill wrote:Of course they'll hit the ground running (or as running as we ever do at world cups) - they'll be staying in the same kind of hotel they always stay in all over the world, eating the same food the IRFU nutritionists prepare for them in Carton House and they'll acclimatise to the temperatures the same way they do whenever they go somewhere hot.

The trip had absolutely nothing to do with RWC 2019 and everything to do with RWC2023. And thats okay, but lets not pretend its any different

Sure all the experience of Bi annual 6 Nations games in France and Regular European cup visits stood up to us well for the W/C in France a few years W/C's Back and The only reason we lost to Wales in the Quaters in NZ was lack of familiarity...