James Lowe signs for Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Lar
Mullet

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by Lar »

Is that not a bit bonkers? Wales have no greater familiarity with NZ than ourselves (re RWC 1/4 final in 2011) and we have loads more experience of playing in Cardiff (and England) than the Argentinians (re RWC 1/4 final in 2015).

I think the trip to Japan can only help those who travelled for the RWC in 2019 but let's not kid ourselves lack or familiarity with the venue or the country were not reasons we lost to Wales in 2011.
Four Stars
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Experienced the culture?
I see you've tried to strawman my response there, but in any case, yes, as you'll know if you've been to Japan there are an inordinate amount of small cultural nuances that will be unfamiliar. Just like there are when travelling to NZ, Aus or SA.
They might be more insulated from this, but if culture familiarity means they are 1% more comfortable than other sides when the RWC comes around then it'll be worth it.

And then there's all the other things I mentioned that you conveniently ignored :lol:
When someone uses the word strawman, its generally because they resemble Baum's

I mentioned the stadia and have since dismissed the trite rubbish about food and temperature also.
So correct me if I'm wrong now, but your argument is that having recently toured in a country is no advantage to young guys when it comes to playing a World Cup there (and indeed not only that, but playing the team you're probably facing in the WC opening game twice)?

That takes fair twisted logic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

R-Dog wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Of course they'll hit the ground running (or as running as we ever do at world cups) - they'll be staying in the same kind of hotel they always stay in all over the world, eating the same food the IRFU nutritionists prepare for them in Carton House and they'll acclimatise to the temperatures the same way they do whenever they go somewhere hot.

The trip had absolutely nothing to do with RWC 2019 and everything to do with RWC2023. And thats okay, but lets not pretend its any different

Sure all the experience of Bi annual 6 Nations games in France and Regular European cup visits stood up to us well for the W/C in France a few years W/C's Back and The only reason we lost to Wales in the Quaters in NZ was lack of familiarity...
Speaking of strawmen :lol:
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Here's what Ringrose himself had to say, so you can make up your own minds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YKgHEJxLhc
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

artaneboy wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Yeah- amazing, who'd have thunked that might be the result of playing on an injury...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suppose they thought the experience he would gain of Japan ahead of the World Cup meant that it was worth the risk. The IRFU like playing the long game. It could all work out pretty well in the end
Ah come on! Let's just admit they f~#ked up- shall we? There's no upside in Ringrose being out with a serious injury just as he's starting to realise his potential. And there's definitely no benefit to Leinster.
I wouldn't say there's no benefit. Leinster should be in a better position strength-in-depth-wise come Christmas time than they would have been if Ringrose hadn't aggravated his injury. The extra opportunities for ROL and probably/hopefully Conor O'Brien should in theory make them stronger options sooner than they otherwise would have been
Last edited by leinsterforever on July 28th, 2017, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

leinsterforever wrote:Here's what Ringrose himself had to say, so you can make up your own minds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YKgHEJxLhc
he didn't know at the time that he'd be out until christmas..
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:[

So correct me if I'm wrong now, but your argument is that having recently toured in a country is no advantage to young guys when it comes to playing a World Cup there (and indeed not only that, but playing the team you're probably facing in the WC opening game twice)?

The history of Irish world cup campaigns shows with absolute certainty that it is of no advantage or benefit.

It might have been different in the amateur days, but now the modern player exists in a bubble that prevents anything external from influencing them. Even the food they eat will be brought with them down to the milk for their barrys tea.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Eh, time in camp Dave. Doesnt matter where it is, its of benefit to player and team.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote:Eh, time in camp Dave. Doesnt matter where it is, its of benefit to player and team.
Yeah I know that, thats kind of my point.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:[

The history of Irish world cup campaigns shows with absolute certainty that it is of no advantage or benefit.

It might have been different in the amateur days, but now the modern player exists in a bubble that prevents anything external from influencing them. Even the food they eat will be brought with them down to the milk for their barrys tea.
That's objectively untrue.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Not only is it true, its by careful and deliberate design and it will get worse as rugby clubs take players in younger and younger like they do in soccer and their 'society' becomes 'the squad'.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:Not only is it true, its by careful and deliberate design and it will get worse as rugby clubs take players in younger and younger like they do in soccer and their 'society' becomes 'the squad'.
You should go visit the Stade Marcel Michelin and come back and tell us how nothing external influences modern players Dave.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Not only is it true, its by careful and deliberate design and it will get worse as rugby clubs take players in younger and younger like they do in soccer and their 'society' becomes 'the squad'.
You should go visit the Stade Marcel Michelin and come back and tell us how nothing external influences modern players Dave.
Thats not what I'm talking about as I suspect you well know.
I have Bumbleflex
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

James Lowe has confirmed that he will be playing for Tasman in the Mitre 10 cup. This competition runs to the end of October so it seems unlikely he'll be playing for Leinster in the first rounds of the European competition. Hopefully he can at least stay healthy until he gets here.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Lowe was included in Planetrugby's Super Rugby team of the year.
http://www.planetrugby.com/news/super-r ... he-year-5/
11 James Lowe (Chiefs): Lowe tops the charts for clean breaks (40), is second for metres made (1355), third for offloads (31) and joint-third for tries (11). He will be sorely missed from Super Rugby as he heads off to Leinster. Meanwhile, South African duo Makazole Mapimpi (Kings) and Courtnall Skosan (Lions) showed they are devastating finishers, bagging 11 and nine tries respectively.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

rdsblue wrote:James Lowe has confirmed that he will be playing for Tasman in the Mitre 10 cup. This competition runs to the end of October so it seems unlikely he'll be playing for Leinster in the first rounds of the European competition. Hopefully he can at least stay healthy until he gets here.
That sounds crazy. Would Leinster & the IRFU agree to that?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

El Diablo wrote:
rdsblue wrote:James Lowe has confirmed that he will be playing for Tasman in the Mitre 10 cup. This competition runs to the end of October so it seems unlikely he'll be playing for Leinster in the first rounds of the European competition. Hopefully he can at least stay healthy until he gets here.
That sounds crazy. Would Leinster & the IRFU agree to that?
of course they would, and they did.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

2 year contract. Also didn't know we would be down Henrose and Ringshaw when he signed.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:2 year contract. Also didn't know we would be down Henrose and Ringshaw when he signed.
The fact he'd play Mitre 10 was in the original announcement (on page 1 of this thread). It's an odd one given the Champions Cup in particular is a much bigger tournament. I'm assuming that he's under contract so must see it out. Does the 2 years include this season? It is what it is but given injuries, the Lions and the group we're in we could be out by the time he arrives...
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Flash Gordon wrote: given injuries, the Lions and the group we're in we could be out by the time he arrives...
Mr Doom & Gloom....and the season hasn't even started :)