Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's a bizarre argument.

I don't think the NIQ rules state that you can sign/re-sign someone if another province doesn't already have a player in that position and/or two of your players are charged with rape.

I don't like Nucifora, but the hate for him is ridiculous. If Ulster end up getting Donald then that's a good thing on Nucifora's part. I wouldn't go overboard with how good he is though, been a long time since he was at his best and despite having a bit of a resurgence he's still had some very poor years too. In the circumstances he'd be great though, can't see them doing any better anyway.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The first rule of NIQ club is THERE ARE NO RULES. The "rules" published a few years ago were downgraded to "guidelines" not long after.

Each case is judged on it's own merits. Not that difficult when there are only 15 or so players in total to consider.

Pienaar is known to not fancy playing 10. But that was mainly because he wanted to play 9 for the Boks. I would say he would have only been too happy to play 10 in the absence of Whacko. Something that was known about at the time and could have been used as a bargaining chip in contract negotiations.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's a bizarre argument.

I don't think the NIQ rules state that you can sign/re-sign someone if another province doesn't already have a player in that position and/or two of your players are charged with rape.

I don't like Nucifora, but the hate for him is ridiculous. If Ulster end up getting Donald then that's a good thing on Nucifora's part. I wouldn't go overboard with how good he is though, been a long time since he was at his best and despite having a bit of a resurgence he's still had some very poor years too. In the circumstances he'd be great though, can't see them doing any better anyway.

The NIQ rules, which we saw last season don't actually exist, have nothing to do with this whatsoever, so I don't know why you're bringing it up. Nucifora knew this was coming down the line. Nucifora knew that Ulster were likely to need a significantly qualified outhalf. Nucifora forced a significantly qualified outhalf out of Ulster. Now Nucifora is trying to source a significantly qualified outhalf for Ulster. This isn't expecting him to be wise before the event, he was privy to the information back in November - and what did he do? He went on his holidays.
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's a bizarre argument.

The NIQ rules, which we saw last season don't actually exist, have nothing to do with this whatsoever, so I don't know why you're bringing it up. Nucifora knew this was coming down the line. Nucifora knew that Ulster were likely to need a significantly qualified outhalf. Nucifora forced a significantly qualified outhalf out of Ulster. Now Nucifora is trying to source a significantly qualified outhalf for Ulster. This isn't expecting him to be wise before the event, he was privy to the information back in November - and what did he do? He went on his holidays.
He was privy to the information way before that Dave, even before it broke in the press IRFU knew Jackson was not going to Chicago "for personal reasons"
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

If Nucifora didn't factor Pienaar in as a starting 10 for ulster this year it could've because Pienaar isn't actually good enough to be a starting outhalf if ulster want to progress. Or even tread water. He's a huge loss as a scrumhalf. As an outhalg he's a versatile nine.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote:If Nucifora didn't factor Pienaar in as a starting 10 for ulster this year it could've because Pienaar isn't actually good enough to be a starting outhalf if ulster want to progress. Or even tread water. He's a huge loss as a scrumhalf. As an outhalg he's a versatile nine.
Is he any worse as an outhalf to any of the options Ulster are looking at though? Probably not - the guy played international rugby at 10 for what was at the time the best team in the world. On top of which there'd be no settling in time, no learning time needed - he would have been already there. Also, with a new scrum half in there, who better to guide him through his settling in and learning period from the 10 slot than his predecessor and one of the best of the modern era? There was no way for Ulster or Irish rugby to lose out.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:If Nucifora didn't factor Pienaar in as a starting 10 for ulster this year it could've because Pienaar isn't actually good enough to be a starting outhalf if ulster want to progress. Or even tread water. He's a huge loss as a scrumhalf. As an outhalg he's a versatile nine.
Is he any worse as an outhalf to any of the options Ulster are looking at though? Probably not - the guy played international rugby at 10 for what was at the time the best team in the world. On top of which there'd be no settling in time, no learning time needed - he would have been already there. Also, with a new scrum half in there, who better to guide him through his settling in and learning period from the 10 slot than his predecessor and one of the best of the modern era? There was no way for Ulster or Irish rugby to lose out.
Precisely.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ulster 17/18

Post by Morf »

johng wrote:I hear rumors that Jonno Gibbes is bringing Stephen Donald to Ulster for obvious reasons
Am I the only one who thought 'fishing'?
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
He also takes the kicking pressure of any young 10 till he gets the rest of his game sorted.
Anyway not here and not sure Donald will be here either, there was supposed to be someone ready to sign weeks ago but we didn't have clearance to seal the deal.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

rooster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

He was privy to the information way before that Dave, even before it broke in the press IRFU knew Jackson was not going to Chicago "for personal reasons"
Because that's why Pienaar left...obviously. If he was Irish I suspect he'd have been allowed to stay.

He's also a scrumhalf by and large, so this would have given him an easy out with the fans but that's about all..and like I said, would have had to have been granted based on potential charges, which would clearly be awful logic for a whole host of reasons. Imagine explaining that to the public back in January or whenever it was that Pienaar left? The budget implications?

Also my understanding was that nobody expected the lads to be charged. Getting into the States with anything dodgy hanging over you can be tricky, that doesn't equate to charges being anticipated.

Rooster you really lose all objectivity when it comes to Nucifora and just go along with whatever suits your agenda against him. Ulster need an outhalf because of a dire and reasonably unexpected situation, and it looks like they're going to get one. So stop moaning about Nucifora/Pienaar and just be thankful that you won't be lumped with an IQ ten. If that doesn't happen then go for Nucifora with both barrels but for now it's a bit ridiculous IMO.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruiradh Jackson signs one-year contract with Glasgow, moving back from Harlequins.

I have quietly keeping my eye on him as a possible Ulster signing. He would have been very suitable and knows our league.

Have my eye on two others in NH clubs but we'll just have to wait and see.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Ruiradh Jackson signs one-year contract with Glasgow, moving back from Harlequins.

I have quietly keeping my eye on him as a possible Ulster signing. He would have been very suitable and knows our league.

Have my eye on two others in NH clubs but we'll just have to wait and see.
Main motivator in moving back to Scotland according to him was more Scotland caps so doubt he was ever a runner
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Well it does appear we have found a NIQ 10 and not one who has been mentioned hereo or anywhere else
LeRoux, the only gripe I have with Nucifora is he has the man management skills and decency of a psychopathic tasmanian devil .
And by the way once the Jackson case hit the press before it even was a case that was the turning point when it certainly was going to court.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Who is the ten?

Bristol have announced Piutau is joining them next season
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:Who is the ten?

Bristol have announced Piutau is joining them next season
Piutau was always going end of season, to be honest it baffled most of us why he was hired in the first instance instead of a back row.
As for the 10 he is a real surprise addition and I wish the lad well with his time with us.
Announcement possibly tomorrow.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

As for the 10 he is a real surprise addition and I wish the lad well with his time with us.
Announcement possibly tomorrow.
A welcome addition or a Meh addition?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So It's not Donald Stephens then?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Not sure whether it sounds leftfield like a Nicky Robinson or "mercurial" like Michalak

Peter Grant is available and is South African too
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: Ulster 17/18

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote:
johng wrote:I hear rumors that Jonno Gibbes is bringing Stephen Donald to Ulster for obvious reasons
Good rumour!

Would like to see Beaver in the league. He's a good player and a great bloke.
Would he fit in with Ulsters unique "culture".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Big name if the rumours are correct
I have Bumbleflex