Connacht 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

bonzo
Learner

Re: Connacht 2017 - 2018

Post by bonzo »

scentofgunpowder wrote:Former Australia u20 Andrew Deegan replacing Boshoff apparently.

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-andrew-dee ... 2-Jul2017/
Could he be IQ through grandparents? Or does playing Aus U20s tie him to them?
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

bonzo wrote:
scentofgunpowder wrote:Former Australia u20 Andrew Deegan replacing Boshoff apparently.

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-andrew-dee ... 2-Jul2017/
Could he be IQ through grandparents? Or does playing Aus U20s tie him to them?
The Aussies use their 'A' side as the 2nd qualifying team, so not tied to Australia.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Theyre teasing us with all these Aussies with Irish sounding surnames
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Apparently not IQ but could be wrong. Another Meh signing. While I wasn't expecting huge names the recruitment at Connacht this season had being so-so.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Apparently not IQ but could be wrong. Another Meh signing. While I wasn't expecting huge names the recruitment at Connacht this season had being so-so.
agree on the mehness, project player deadline aside Connacht could do with a few big boys

Update: Fox is a no8 and definitely a project but 42 saying hes joining via academy which doesnt seem enticing but also thought you had to be IQ to get into a provincial academy?
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Connacht have signed Rory Scholes.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Nice!
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

scentofgunpowder wrote:Connacht have signed Rory Scholes.
Mehness personified. Left Ulster cause he wanted to play 15 exclusively. Went to Embra and disappeared. They released him at the end of the season.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

johng wrote:
Mehness personified. Left Ulster cause he wanted to play 15 exclusively. Went to Embra and disappeared. They released him at the end of the season.
Not really sure what happened to him at Edinburgh but I was a fan when he was at Ulster. We need backup to O'Halloran with Leader struggling after his injury problems and Brennan being very green.

Most of the squad that won the Pro12 could have been described as "mehness personified" when they were signed.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Thought he left Ulster for gametime? Edinburgh seem to have decided to drop their mass foreign and project player project. Hes a good IQ signing, sure if he left Ulster in a strop he can still come good, like an inverse Ben Foden
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
johng wrote:
Not really sure what happened to him at Edinburgh but I was a fan when he was at Ulster. We need backup to O'Halloran with Leader struggling after his injury problems and Brennan being very green.

Most of the squad that won the Pro12 could have been described as "mehness personified" when they were signed.
I'm a fan. He was a cracking player for the Irish U20s – 6 tries in 9 starts [source: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixtures ... ef=dynamic ] and a lot of exciting line-breaks, good running and clever play.

I think he's a good pick-up for them and it's good to see him back in Ireland. Still surprised that they let Gaffney go though.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

johng wrote:
Not true, he went to Edinburgh to get more game time on wing or fullback as his options were very limited with Ulster, sadly it didn't work out for him as he was promised
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Gafo is playing in Otago last I heard
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

rooster wrote:
johng wrote:
Not true, he went to Edinburgh to get more game time on wing or fullback as his options were very limited with Ulster, sadly it didn't work out for him as he was promised
According to himself he was looking to play more 15

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4199763
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

hugonaut wrote:
scentofgunpowder wrote:
johng wrote:Mehness personified. Left Ulster cause he wanted to play 15 exclusively. Went to Embra and disappeared. They released him at the end of the season.

I'm a fan. He was a cracking player for the Irish U20s – 6 tries in 9 starts [source: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixtures ... ef=dynamic ] and a lot of exciting line-breaks, good running and clever play.

I think he's a good pick-up for them and it's good to see him back in Ireland. Still surprised that they let Gaffney go though.
I think him and Kelleher can be more complete players than Matt and Niyi.

I was surprised about Gaffney too, not sure what happened there really. I played with him and Sean O'Brien underage and I thought they were both guaranteed to make it.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
rooster wrote:
johng wrote:Mehness personified. Left Ulster cause he wanted to play 15 exclusively. Went to Embra and disappeared. They released him at the end of the season.
According to himself he was looking to play more 15

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4199763
Now you bring that up I remember the conflict in reports from our own local press at the same time.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Rumours that Connacht are trying to sign Samoan centre Rey Lee-Lo. No idea if true. As for Scholes the guy couldn't make the Edinburgh 23 let alone the XV not impressed at all.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Rumours that Connacht are trying to sign Samoan centre Rey Lee-Lo. No idea if true. As for Scholes the guy couldn't make the Edinburgh 23 let alone the XV not impressed at all.
Was it you who said same thing in Pro14 thread about Cardiff offloading him mid contract as well as FVDM? If so that rumour is persisting
Would be a good signing
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

simonokeeffe wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Rumours that Connacht are trying to sign Samoan centre Rey Lee-Lo. No idea if true. As for Scholes the guy couldn't make the Edinburgh 23 let alone the XV not impressed at all.
Was it you who said same thing in Pro14 thread about Cardiff offloading him mid contract as well as FVDM? If so that rumour is persisting
Would be a good signing
Think that was me, the rumour seems to have died down and the guy who started it was saying it's unlikely, maybe Sunshiner has heard something since.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Would be a good signing
Think that was me, the rumour seems to have died down and the guy who started it was saying it's unlikely, maybe Sunshiner has heard something since.
I want it to come true
And not just to hobble Cardiff