Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

jimbobjoe
Mullet

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by jimbobjoe »

I wonder will the addition of the SA teams and the cash injection with them cause Pro14 to SORT OUT THE BLOODY WEBSITE :evil:
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

kermischocolate wrote:Very odd fixtures. Glasgow only have 3 home games in 2018. Also what happened to all games in SA will be on a Saturday?
Ulster have 7 home in 2017 and only 4 in 2018, even worse the away matches most go to are the Italians and Connacht add in Port Elizabeth and those are all pre Christmas as well, not a well balanced season at all.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I had a scan through all the fixtures the other day to see what ones (outside the Island) were worth going to. I came up with Ospreys at the end of March. And then only if we are either out of Europe or have a home QF.

Every other fixture has something against it.

EG. South Africa. Too soon and too dear.

Glasgow. Playing them twice in Europe and No Ireland players because it's the week before the AIs

Treviso. Week or perhaps 2 before a likely trip to Exeter.

etc etc.

Leinster have 7 away and 4 home before Christmas. Do you think that is better Roostie?
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Not great either John, I think all our favorite trips early in season and Connacht on 23rd December is my biggest bugbear, I have always done at least one of the Italian trips and do both when we have traditionally had Connacht on St Stephens day but this year just has blown the thing apart, her indoors and myself thinking of just taking a week somewhere warm and stuff the rugby to be honest this season.
The largest part of the home matches in a couple of months and then a month between matches does nothing for the enthusiasm, anyway unless we get a decent 10 and Cooney stays fit and exceeds expectations I expect us to be out of the running before 6 Nations starts.

Would it not have been pretty simple to swap some of the home/aways round and evened up the season, I know it could have been done in Ulster fixtures with a couple.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Why would all the teams sign off on such imbalances? Doesn't seem like there's any need for it.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The SA teams have a 5 week break in the middle of the season.

Edit: plus there's no games in SA between Dec 2 and the the start of March, apart from derby game.
That must make scheduling a bit of a mare.
Dont Panic!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Dexter wrote:The SA teams have a 5 week break in the middle of the season.

Edit: plus there's no games in SA between Dec 2 and the the start of March, apart from derby game.
Wonder will that just be for this season as they have 2 basically running back to back?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

kermischocolate wrote:

Wonder will that just be for this season as they have 2 basically running back to back?
No it's because you can't play rugby in Bloomfontain and PE in the middle of the summer. 30 + degrees
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

johng wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:

No it's because you can't play rugby in Bloomfontain and PE in the middle of the summer. 30 + degrees
That's not really true for PE but the traditional rugby season shuts down for the summer everywhere in the SH which means it will be interesting to see what effect it has on the Cheetahs and the S Kings this season. They essentially have December and January off. They get their warm up games out of the way at the end January between each other (which must favour them when you think about it) and then they will be pretty fresh starting back on the weekend of 9 February having had a nice two month break to all intents and purposes (just when we have lost our front liners to the 6N).
Four Stars
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This may be only for this Season as Cheetahs and Kings will have played non-stop since February and players will need a break. Next year they could certainly play some Pro14 games in Dec and Jan, despite the European games in that period.

It is almost possible to re-work the fixtures to see what might work with a bit of imagination and less direction from Broadcasters. They have exercised the whiphand this Season because that have written the commitment for US$60 over the next 6 years. But next year there should be no reason why Leinster, Munster and Ospreys have to head down to SA in successive September weeks to market and showcase the new Tournament.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Not really as remember there are 4 European Cup weekends during that time plus a couple of 6 Nations weekends
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Head of SARU has said theyre working on 2 MORE teams joining pro14 but that theyll mostly pick future November tour squads from the 4

New teams would be Griquas, Pumas etc not the big boys

Now thatd be some wonky conferences, 4 Irish plus one of Welsh/SA/Scots & Italians. Last 2 would have to be paired together
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

simonokeeffe wrote:Head of SARU has said theyre working on 2 MORE teams joining pro14 but that theyll mostly pick future November tour squads from the 4

Now thatd be some wonky conferences, 4 Irish plus one of Welsh/SA/Scots & Italians. Last 2 would have to be paired together
Not really you just add one SA team to each current conference surely?

I'm fine with expansion provided the media and the league CEO get behind the fact that one of the ideas of this league is that it develops professional players for European comps and by extension international rugby so that the international game continues to thrive and keeps the millionaire English/French club owners at bay from taking over the game.

If I have to hear Gavin cummisky giving out again about non frontline players togging out, it's a squad game Gavin, a lot of fans want to see the up and coming lads get a chance rather than those 26-34 getting flogged week in week out.

Sorry bit of a rant there
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Adding two more teams would be madness, and even FURTHER dilute a league that has already been diluted. Does SA have enough quality players for 8 pro teams across two leagues? There's already questions over whether they have enough for 6.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote: a lot of fans want to see the up and coming lads get a chance rather than those 26-34 getting flogged week in week out.
I'd have to disagree with that. Some of the, for want of a better phrase, Ultras want to see the up and coming lads. Everyone else wants to see the stars. Look at last season.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:Adding two more teams would be madness, and even FURTHER dilute a league that has already been diluted. Does SA have enough quality players for 8 pro teams across two leagues? There's already questions over whether they have enough for 6.
F no
Factor in all their wild geese on far better money elsewhere and not a chance

New teams would be Currie Cup teams ie a tier below their worst 2 Super Rugby sides

@TJ if my mental gymnastics are right you couldnt split countries teams between provinces and protect the all the derbies (without increasing number of games to 24)

Youd have to keep Irish and Welsh separate every year to avoid lopsided conferences. Also a question of guaranteeing national representation in playoffs
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Could just switch to a single conference but not play everyone.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

if anyone wants to see a massacre go to Kings part of super rugby 2017 18 transfers wikipedia page

26 players have left, including all bar one of their locks, backrowers, and scrumhalves

seems like a good chunk of their squad was on loan from other super rugby sides to begin with
Last edited by simonokeeffe on August 14th, 2017, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

ronk wrote:Could just switch to a single conference but not play everyone.
And you call it something else - like maybe a "league" or something :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

simonokeeffe wrote:Head of SARU has said theyre working on 2 MORE teams joining pro14 but that theyll mostly pick future November tour squads from the 4

I think it would be more accurate to say the SA CEO said they are working on 4 teams playing in the NH, rather than Pro14 / 16.

We might think these additional 2 south african teams are cr@p, but I bet we'd be in a panic if the join the AP or Top14. I know with having 2 teams in The Pro14 , joining that league would be ideal, but anything is possible as shown by by the 1st north - south entity already. Rumour has it that the expansion to Pro14 put the AP board in a bit of a tail spin.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013