Sevens

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Sevens

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Beaten by Wales in S/F. Play Portugal for 3rd / 4th. Russia / Wales final.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

A couple of really soft tries conceded against Wales, very disappointing after a good weekend
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Whoop whoop- congrats on qualification for the World Cup.

Now for various reasons I'll be supporting SA, Ireland, France and Scotland in San Francisco.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Disappointing to lose to Wales.

But this is a team on the up.

Few more games against tougher opposition will really mature this talented group of lads.

Jordon Conroy is lightning. His acceleration over the first 10m is like nothing I have seen. I would love to see how he'll fare against some proper Sevens speedsters. Combine his pace and McGraths power when he gets fit and we have some legit danger men.

McNulty looks a big, skillful bloke. But he was exposed for pace (or possibly fitness) at times.

Timoney moves very well for a big fella. But his passing let us down once or twice.

Dardis was in a class of his own. Restarts were dropped on a coin, conversions were fantastic and the quality of his passing really stood out.

I hadn't much interest in Sevens. Didn't even watch it at the Olympics. But I've watched a lot of the girls on the world series and it's sparked my interest and can't wait to see how the lads get on at a higher level
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
kermischocolate
Mullet

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
I hadn't much interest in Sevens. Didn't even watch it at the Olympics. But I've watched a lot of the girls on the world series and it's sparked my interest and can't wait to see how the lads get on at a higher level
Some awesome highlights to be found on YouTube.

Next season should be tighter at top of Series.

It seems the format of the world cup is changing - no group stages. Instead there will be some form of elaborate knock out first two rounds so in theory you only need to play and win 4 games to win the tournament.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Disappointing to lose to Wales.

But this is a team on the up.

Few more games against tougher opposition will really mature this talented group of lads.

Jordon Conroy is lightning. His acceleration over the first 10m is like nothing I have seen. I would love to see how he'll fare against some proper Sevens speedsters. Combine his pace and McGraths power when he gets fit and we have some legit danger men.

McNulty looks a big, skillful bloke. But he was exposed for pace (or possibly fitness) at times.

Timoney moves very well for a big fella. But his passing let us down once or twice.

Dardis was in a class of his own. Restarts were dropped on a coin, conversions were fantastic and the quality of his passing really stood out.

Jimmy O'Brien looks good too. He runs good lines and has good footwork. He's able to manufacture linebreaks, and he holds the ball in two hands and dummies to keep defenders guessing. Looks pretty fast as well.

Was McNulty caught for pace/fitness? Can't say I noticed that
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

leinsterforever wrote: Was McNulty caught for pace/fitness? Can't say I noticed that
Yeah there were 2 instances on the second day he looked flat footed and slow off the mark. He went to reclaim a restart and the opposition caught it ahead of him and his turn and chase was pretty poor. Didn't get near them.

Another one he was caught on the wrong side of a ruck (to be fair he was looking for a holding on penalty that really should have been given) but he didn't get near the player making a break.

2 instances that stand out for me.

His other contributions were top notch to be fair
kermischocolate
Mullet

So Oktoberfest 7s. Ireland are playing with the big boys (well, their development sides).

Lost to Fiji and Aus but beat Chile day 1. As there's only 3 groups of 4 they have made in into the cup quarter finals where they're up against a very young South Africa side.
Should be interesting.
kermischocolate
Mullet

kermischocolate wrote:So Oktoberfest 7s. Ireland are playing with the big boys (well, their development sides).

Lost to Fiji and Aus but beat Chile day 1. As there's only 3 groups of 4 they have made in into the cup quarter finals where they're up against a very young South Africa side.
Should be interesting.
They just got schooled 24-0 by SA.

If I could work out how to do it I'd give a pic of the stats. They had all the possession/ passes completed/ missed 2 tackles to SAs 8 but still lost 24-0.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Ireland beat France to finish 5th I think.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Only caught the end of Australia and Fiji games.

Weak tackling to beat the bat.

Looks like Conroy has been signed to the Connacht academy so not sure how much more we will see of him at 7s.

Apparently Mick McGrath is injured long term and Timoney looks like he will be getting a lot more time with Ulster.

From a 7s POV I would be particularly disappointed not to see more of Conroy. Serious gas on him
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Only caught the end of Australia and Fiji games.

Weak tackling to beat the bat.

Looks like Conroy has been signed to the Connacht academy so not sure how much more we will see of him at 7s.

Apparently Mick McGrath is injured long term and Timoney looks like he will be getting a lot more time with Ulster.

From a 7s POV I would be particularly disappointed not to see more of Conroy. Serious gas on him
I don't think joining the academy will make any difference to Conroy's availability. Think he's just injured, hasn't been playing for Buccs either.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Caught a bit of the 7s from Hong Kong.

Ireland doing well so far- they have arguably the harder of the 2 semi finals tomorrow (up against Japan who were a core team last season).
In the other it's Germany v Chile. Germany were unlucky not to win core team status last year and have been really trying to develop their 7s programme.

In the main draw it's been interesting to see who has sent their reserves to HK and "sacrificed" it for the Commonwealth Games.
kermischocolate
Mullet

So Ireland lose out in injury time to Japan. It'll be a long year until they can try for qualification again.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

kermischocolate wrote:So Ireland lose out in injury time to Japan. It'll be a long year until they can try for qualification again.
Japan went on to beat Germany in the finals as well.

We didn't lose by much. Camped on their line, turnover and breakaway try for them. 12-7 at the end.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
kermischocolate
Mullet

CiaranIrl wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:So Ireland lose out in injury time to Japan. It'll be a long year until they can try for qualification again.
Japan went on to beat Germany in the finals as well.

We didn't lose by much. Camped on their line, turnover and breakaway try for them. 12-7 at the end.
They did but only just. Was gutted for Germany. Just goes to show the benefit of relatively recent Series experience.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ireland on an invite at the London 7's tournament.

Well beaten by Australia in the first game, 33-7.

Currently hammering Spain in their second game, 33-5 ahead with 3 mins left to play.

edit: finished 38-10. Last pool game is against Wales at half four
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Wales game definitely one that got away. The Conroy "knock on" where he actually managed to kick ahead before it touched the ground was a big turning point
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

leinsterforever wrote:Wales game definitely one that got away. The Conroy "knock on" where he actually managed to kick ahead before it touched the ground was a big turning point
Still qualified for the quarter-finals tomorrow
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Despite the loss to Wales, Ireland made the Q/F game in the HSBC Cup -tomorrow morning probably showing on Sky Sports Ch 121 (Mix) or 407 (Rugby).

Excellent performance of aggressive defence against Spain but a bit naive against Wales.

Probably play USA at 11.20 a.m. Sunday morning in quarter-final.