Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by olaf the fat »

Dave Cahill wrote:That auld National Dairy Council, it sure gets around
POC keeps them in the loop
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

dropkick wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
blockhead wrote:Rhys Webb off to Toulon next season.
Gatty's law gets interesting again

It doesn't really exist. They said something like they'll only pick a max 3 players but once a few others left, the law was ignored.

What'll be interesting is the effect it has on the Welsh national side. Half their team will soon be playing abroad.
Wales need to move to a South Africa/Australia style set up for international eligibility. If you have so many caps, can play abroad and still play for the national team.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Thought only Aussies had cap limit but Boks was a number of players in gen limit?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

simonokeeffe wrote:Thought only Aussies had cap limit but Boks was a number of players in gen limit?
I was reading something this week maybe on the sky app about the Springboks not picking European players for the RC even though a lot of them fulfilled the 35 cap rule. Had not heard about a certain figure before so not sure if its true or the author made it up.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

simonokeeffe wrote:Thought only Aussies had cap limit but Boks was a number of players in gen limit?
Changed it in the summer - must have 30 caps.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... ung-talent

SA Rugby has moved to tighten its eligibility rules for Springboks playing overseas, in a bid to safeguard the country's young talent.

From July 1, only players with more than 30 Test caps will be available for selection for South Africa.

That means that the likes of Lionel Mapo, Steven Kitshoff and Vincent Koch must return home after June's Test series against France if they wish to continue their international careers.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cheers

Will be interesting to see if they do (move back) and or if Rassie makes any changes
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

I feckin hate this Conference stuff. Neither the team nor the fans appeared particularly motivated to deny Munster a lbp today as it doesn't matter a whit to us if they get one or not. Part of the pleasure of winning a league game is the advantage the win gives you over your opponent in the table and that doesn't arise when the win is against a non-Conference side.

An ill thought out response to a panicked last minute decision to include the Saffirs is making the league much less enjoyable
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

enby wrote:I feckin hate this Conference stuff. Neither the team nor the fans appeared particularly motivated to deny Munster a lbp today as it doesn't matter a whit to us if they get one or not. Part of the pleasure of winning a league game is the advantage the win gives you over your opponent in the table and that doesn't arise when the win is against a non-Conference side.

An ill thought out response to a panicked last minute decision to include the Saffirs is making the league much less enjoyable
+1. another ill-considered aspect of the structure. But you've got to admit that the contests are tightening up as the various Coaches get to know their squads better. It may be just wishful thinking but I expect the Pro 14 teams to have a much better than usual return in next week's EPCR competitions.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

enby wrote:I feckin hate this Conference stuff. Neither the team nor the fans appeared particularly motivated to deny Munster a lbp today as it doesn't matter a whit to us if they get one or not. Part of the pleasure of winning a league game is the advantage the win gives you over your opponent in the table and that doesn't arise when the win is against a non-Conference side.

Good point – it's a ludicrous situation to be in.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Treviso bag another win, this time its no suprise as its against the Kings, the worst team by far. But still, an 80th min TBP should keep their fans coming back. Them and Zebre (who nearly won on the road this week) have 5 wins and 25pts between them and its just the 1st week in October! Send your 2nd string over there at your peril this season.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:

Good point – it's a ludicrous situation to be in.
I would have preferred conferences for organising fixtures but a combined overall table, and that was before the LBP issue we're seeing now.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

End of season playoff brought in to decide the 7th and last team into the Champions Cup. The 4th placed side with the better points total gets home advantage.

As the South African sides currently can't get into Europe, they would not take part in the playoff game.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

courtesy of @theblitzdefence

and WRFU are looking at adding Giteau's law to Gatland's so we could see the regions stay in the bottom half of the table
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this but just read an article saying that the SARU are in advanced talks about adding two teams to the Anglo welsh cup. I've generally been fairly negative about the SA teams joining our league but now that they have I want it to work out, and I'd have thought it was crucial to keep the English at bay. Assuming this happens, I could easily foresee the other SA super rugby teams looking to join the premiership in future and the Cheetahs and the Kings jumping ship, it just seems like a stepping stone to that. As much as it appears unlikely that the premiership would take on foreign teams, adding them to the cup seems strange in isolation and I reckon they may have been kicked into action because of the Pro12 changing.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Apologies if someone has already mentioned this but just read an article saying that the SARU are in advanced talks about adding two teams to the Anglo welsh cup. I've generally been fairly negative about the SA teams joining our league but now that they have I want it to work out, and I'd have thought it was crucial to keep the English at bay. Assuming this happens, I could easily foresee the other SA super rugby teams looking to join the premiership in future and the Cheetahs and the Kings jumping ship, it just seems like a stepping stone to that. As much as it appears unlikely that the premiership would take on foreign teams, adding them to the cup seems strange in isolation and I reckon they may have been kicked into action because of the Pro12 changing.
Could be as innocent as the two current sides looking to keep busy during the break in the league for Europe.
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The seventh Guinness Pro14 side to take their place in next season’s European Champions Cup will be decided by a winner-takes-all play-off at the end of the season, it has been announced. The top three sides from both Conferences, who will contest the Pro14 play-offs, will automatically qualify for Europe’s elite club competition, with the two who just miss out facing off for the seventh spot. The fixture will take place on the first weekend of May and home advantage will be awarded to the team who has finished the regular season with the highest match-points total. The South African teams are ineligible to qualify so should a South African team finish in either the top three or in fourth they will be replaced by the team that finished below them in that Conference. Pro14 chief executive Martin Anayi said: “We are committed to raising the standards of our Championship and the introduction of the Champions Cup Play-Off brings a dynamic element to European qualification. After careful consultation with our clubs we strongly believe that this is best solution for the Guinness Pro14. “No matter which Conference a club is in, eligible teams have an equal opportunity to qualify for the Champions Cup. By pitting the two fourth-placed teams against each other we’re creating a fair fight and giving fans a cup final-style occasion that they can relish.”
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

simonokeeffe wrote:courtesy of @theblitzdefence

and WRFU are looking at adding Giteau's law to Gatland's so we could see the regions stay in the bottom half of the table
As it stands we have an all-Italian playoff for Champions Cup!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Because Embra are Italian?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

johng wrote:Because Embra are Italian?
I'm guessing because Cheetahs aren't eligible for Europe.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

There is one round less in the league so this playoff sees 8 teams in playoff action rather than just 4 and with the scrapping of the inter league playoffs there is plenty of space in may for it.

6 teams play 21 games. 6 teams play 22 games and 2 teams play 23 games.

Sustainable with 6 to 9 games in Europe?

Well a lot better considering the top 14 finalists could have played 29 games and if a french team make Euro and national finals that's a possible 38 CLUB GAMES in a season.