Dominic Ryan

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

tigerburnie
Enlightened

Re: Dominic Ryan

Post by tigerburnie »

Thanks all for the in depth comments, there are some miserable barstewards on the Tigers offy, underwhelmed by our signings for next season, not just Dom, Kalamafoni as well and the Ford brothers aren't inspiring many either, I think they were hoping Ronaldo would swap ball shapes and join us lol.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Show them these. A couple of clips of the relatively lightweight (and therefore mobile) Dom Ryan smashing people, including punching above his weight against CJ Stander. As Dave said on the forum, the fact he gave away penalties in both instances is a perfect illustration of his best and worst qualities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SO7x7NuF6o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqlrWcn_HmY
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

tigerburnie wrote:Thanks all for the in depth comments, there are some miserable barstewards on the Tigers offy, underwhelmed by our signings for next season, not just Dom, Kalamafoni as well and the Ford brothers aren't inspiring many either, I think they were hoping Ronaldo would swap ball shapes and join us lol.
Don't worry, MOC will have them purring like a velvet footed tyrannosaurus in no time...
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

blockhead wrote:http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport ... ing-263953

Domo settling in nicely.
The Dippy nickname doesn't seem to have followed him which I'm sure he will be delighted about. I'm not sure he would want "Domo" either!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Still better than Dominique!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

http://www.the42.ie/dominic-ryan-leices ... 6-Oct2017/

Been stood down for 12 weeks due to concussions.

Apparently he was allowed play on without a HIA after a heavy collision with North where he ended up face down in the turf :roll:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:http://www.the42.ie/dominic-ryan-leices ... 6-Oct2017/

Been stood down for 12 weeks due to concussions.

Apparently he was allowed play on without a HIA after a heavy collision with North where he ended up face down in the turf :roll:
Bad luck Dippy.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Haven't seen anything official anywhere but I heard that poor old Dippy has been forced into retirement and is taking a lawsuit against Leicester, in particular in relation to the incident above.
Absolutely tragic. Like his former schoolmate McLaughlin. Two fearless players, who have paid the price for that.
Regardless of the lawsuit, I hope that the IRFU takes care of players like that (who were in the system for 10 years), even if they are no longer on the books.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

curates_egg wrote:Haven't seen anything official anywhere but I heard that poor old Dippy has been forced into retirement and is taking a lawsuit against Leicester, in particular in relation to the incident above.
Absolutely tragic. Like his former schoolmate McLaughlin. Two fearless players, who have paid the price for that.
Regardless of the lawsuit, I hope that the IRFU takes care of players like that (who were in the system for 10 years), even if they are no longer on the books.
take care how?

Rugby Players Ireland are tasked with helping current/retired players.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Haven't seen anything official anywhere but I heard that poor old Dippy has been forced into retirement and is taking a lawsuit against Leicester, in particular in relation to the incident above.
take care how?

Rugby Players Ireland worked/works with the IRFU to develop the injured players fund but, as I understand it, the fund itself is IRFU administered.

As I understand it, his lawsuit pertains to a specific incident at Leicester. However, it would be hard to ignore his entire career as an employee of Leinster, and his injury profile there, and the impact this may have had on his premature retirement, in what is supposedly a precarious health situation.
I can understand that rugby players are reluctant to take similar class action against the IRFU (along the lines of the NFL), but I would hope that is partially because the IRFU is proactively assisting them - where necessary - even when they did not necessarily finish their careers in Ireland.
...Is all I was saying...

But way to make a post lamenting the retirement of a great Leinster servant into some nit-picking argument.

If my maths are right, Dippy joined the Leinster system in 2008 and was with Leinster for nine years. He was a very brave player, and it is a shame we can't give him a proper send-off.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Was simply asking how you wanted the IRFU to take care of players, it suggested to me that they weren't already doing so.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

curates_egg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
take care how?

Rugby Players Ireland worked/works with the IRFU to develop the injured players fund but, as I understand it, the fund itself is IRFU administered.

As I understand it, his lawsuit pertains to a specific incident at Leicester. However, it would be hard to ignore his entire career as an employee of Leinster, and his injury profile there, and the impact this may have had on his premature retirement, in what is supposedly a precarious health situation.
I can understand that rugby players are reluctant to take similar class action against the IRFU (along the lines of the NFL), but I would hope that is partially because the IRFU is proactively assisting them - where necessary - even when they did not necessarily finish their careers in Ireland.
...Is all I was saying...

But way to make a post lamenting the retirement of a great Leinster servant into some nit-picking argument.

If my maths are right, Dippy joined the Leinster system in 2008 and was with Leinster for nine years. He was a very brave player, and it is a shame we can't give him a proper send-off.
+1
hope not expectation
Bookworm

Post by hope not expectation »

That's bad news if true. He always gave it everything he had
The superman tackle was something special
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Confirmed. Hope he can manage the concussion now. Rugby is a just a game and I'm sure he'll get over that part of it.

Best of luck with the retirement Dippy!

http://www.the42.ie/dominic-ryan-irelan ... 7-Sep2018/
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Poor guy, he deserved a bit of luck when he left for Leicester, I remember the match against Glasgow away years ago where Cheika put out Jackers and the kids I think it was one of Ryan’s first senior games and he picked up a concussion and sinbinning at the same time when making a tackle, one of the harshest yellows I can ever remember. He had a big first season under Schmidt in 2010/2011 then injuries saw him fall down the pecking order. Hope he can be symptom free for his post rugby life. Tough sport.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Very sad for Dominic. Great-hearted player for us- of no little skill. As others have mentioned, our richness in the back row inevitably meant his fine talent was going to struggle for opportunities. But he had his memorable moments in blue.

I too hope he can recover from the concussion and enjoy a trouble free civilian life. But I imagine that we will be hearing of more of this type of enforced retirement in the coming years. The sooner the “tackle law” actually promotes tackling- and discourages hits, the better for us all.

Is there merit to restrictions on the number of substitutes allow- as this will favour smaller fitter players? It would probably mean more open end games too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It must have been a fairly miserable couple of years leading up to this, really feel for the guy. Haven't read the article yet but have seen bits of it and hope he's fit and healthy in the long term. Sad to retire young but at the same time I'm sort of relieved that he's out now.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

It's a terrifying article and highlights the time bomb that is brain injuries in the game. All the best to him for the future, it's a very honest piece.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Best wishes to Dippy. He had magic moments in a Leinster jersey - some phenomenal Superman tackles spring to mind!

He made a significant contribution to the Heineken Cup win in 2010-11 and was always a player who put in brave and committed performances whenever he was called on, to the point of putting his health and fitness at risk for the benefit of the team at times.

113 Leinster appearances, Heineken Cups, Pro12 league titles, an Irish cap - it may not have been the complete career he wanted, but he made his mark and won medals. Best of luck with the next stage.