Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by mildlyinterested »

Sean Cronin headed to Bristol if rumours are true.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on December 15th, 2017, 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mildlyinterested wrote:Sean Cronin headed to Bristol according if rumours are true.
Wow. That would be a sickner
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Sweet Jebus I hope that isn't true
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wait and see if true, would explain absence from Ireland squad... this is his last chance at a big payday and bristol are offering silly money.

so on a few levels it would make sense.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

He has been a great addition to Leinster but with a young family and serious money potentially available you can see why an offer like that would turn his head if this is true.

It is a position in the front row where, unlike both prop positions, we perhaps are a little short of world class players.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Explains absence from Ireland squad and with his contract up at the end of the season we'd been speculating about him moving away. He's 32 at the end of this season and with Best likely to soldier on to the 2019 RWC, had no prospect of a central contract until 2020, when he'd be 34 and potentially usurped by Niall Scannell. Financially for him, it does make sense. He's been playing really well and has a unique skill set, so is a serious loss for us and Ireland. If he is going, I wish him the best.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Bad news if true, he's been a great servant for us. Scored some memorable tries too, especially in finals. If it's his last big payday then who could begruge him his golden nugget.
Not an area of great strenght for us atm, hopefully some academy lad will come through.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

If he does leave, I wouldn't mind a nice NIQ hooker to replace him (presumably Isa is retiring from playing at the end of the season, would be turning 37 by the end of the 2018-19 if he got another renewal). Look up Akker van der Merwe, similar type of hooker to Cronin in terms of dynamism but shorter and heavier physically and probably has better set-pieces. Little prospect of South African selection and still only 26.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote:If he does leave, I wouldn't mind a nice NIQ hooker to replace him (presumably Isa is retiring from playing at the end of the season, would be turning 37 by the end of the 2018-19 if he got another renewal). Look up Akker van der Merwe, similar type of hooker to Cronin in terms of dynamism but shorter and heavier physically and probably has better set-pieces. Little prospect of South African selection and still only 26.
Wouldn't get my hopes up tbh.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Tracy and Strauss as our two senior hookers would be a bit of a disaster alright. The main thing going for us at hooker at the moment is not necessarily quality, but some level of depth. Cronin leaving would really reduce that.
We'd definitely need an NIQ.

Could see himleaving alright, his circumstances fit the profile of a guy who, logically, probably should if the Bristol offer is big.

Hopefully Ronan Kelleher might live up to his promise and come through.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Hope Cronin stays, was really playing great stuff this time last year until hammy blew out and then had the neck issue
Slow start this year over injuries but seems to be re gathering some of that form and at 31 defo has plenty left in tank and overall when in form is by far our best option at 2
Has been such a great servant so here's hoping he stays....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If this is true then the guy I'd be after would be Rhys Marshall. He'll continue to get lots of game time with Munster when Scannell is fit but I reckon he'd start for us and would really suit our style of play. Don't see it happening, but I'd look into it.

I love watching Cronin play so hope this isn't true, but if it is then it would probably be a good time for him to go. When his pace goes then so does his value, he's not a guy who'll be able to play effectively until he's in his late 30's IMO. Just a pity that he wouldn't hang on until the World Cup.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:If this is true then the guy I'd be after would be Rhys Marshall. He'll continue to get lots of game time with Munster when Scannell is fit but I reckon he'd start for us and would really suit our style of play. Don't see it happening, but I'd look into it.

I love watching Cronin play so hope this isn't true, but if it is then it would probably be a good time for him to go. When his pace goes then so does his value, he's not a guy who'll be able to play effectively until he's in his late 30's IMO. Just a pity that he wouldn't hang on until the World Cup.
That's a good point about his speed. It really is the cornerstone of his game.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I hope he stays bigly, Strauss not long for us either

But if he goes I say it again

Niall Annet

IQ, 90 mins from his home, and Leinster going more places than Worcester
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

simonokeeffe wrote:I hope he stays bigly, Strauss not long for us either

But if he goes I say it again

Niall Annet

IQ, 90 mins from his home, and Leinster going more places than Worcester

Yeah but is he any good?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Niall, Scannell, Rhys Marshall, Kevin O'Byrne, Mike Sherry, Duncan Casey

That seems to be the Munster depth chart at Hooker right now. Something's gotta give there, surely? They've plundered enough of our team this last few years.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

CiaranIrl wrote:Niall, Scannell, Rhys Marshall, Kevin O'Byrne, Mike Sherry, Duncan Casey

That seems to be the Munster depth chart at Hooker right now. Something's gotta give there, surely? They've plundered enough of our team this last few years.

Casey is AIL player and always injured.
Sherry is one injury from retirement.
Scannell not going anywhere.
O'Byrne is decent but not good enough to poach.
Marshall is good. But no out of contract anytime soon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Niall, Scannell, Rhys Marshall, Kevin O'Byrne, Mike Sherry, Duncan Casey

Casey is AIL player and always injured.
Sherry is one injury from retirement.
Scannell not going anywhere.
O'Byrne is decent but not good enough to poach.
Marshall is good. But no out of contract anytime soon
Hartley?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Well im hoping Cronin stays.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

What if MIC had not mismanaged McGrath and Cooney.... What if