Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Movie Thread

Post by TerenureJim »

Justice League really good comic book fun, villain is a bit bland but the team banter is WB animation levels of good. Thoroughly enjoyable.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I have seen it.
Show Spoiler:
Star Wars 8 is great.
I am a fan so maybe not the most objective.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

IanD wrote:I have seen it.
Show Spoiler:
Star Wars 8 is great.
I am a fan so maybe not the most objective.
I have seen if and I'm also a fan of the series.
Show Spoiler:
I think it's trash.

I thought no-one could do a worse job than Abrams. I thought nothing could be worse than the prequels.

I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong, it's a stunning film, and some parts are really good. But overall the plot stinks, and you learn nothing.
Anyone But New Zealand
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

They've made 8 now? Holy Jaysis. I'd say I've seen 4.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:They've made 8 now? Holy Jaysis. I'd say I've seen 4.
9 now or 10 if you include star wars holiday special with the infamous wookie masturbation scene
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

johng wrote:They've made 8 now? Holy Jaysis. I'd say I've seen 4.
And there will be another one a year for the rest of our lives. Oh, and a TV series for their new Hulu acquisition (owned through the 20th century Fox acquisition).

I really loved the originals as a kid, but I don't have so much nostalgia that I care about it all that much as an adult. Because of that, it didn't bother me that the various films in recent years were muck.

I know I'll grow to hate the franchise after the next few years of bombardment, but I'll still watch them. Inexplicably.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Three Billboards, hilariously funny, achingly sad. Fantastic writing, fantastic acting.

Also watched a curious little film called Bushwick recently, worth checking out, its budget limitations can easily be seen but it's a neat idea and worth a look.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:Three Billboards, hilariously funny, achingly sad. Fantastic writing, fantastic acting.

Also watched a curious little film called Bushwick recently, worth checking out, its budget limitations can easily be seen but it's a neat idea and worth a look.
Three Billboards was utterly fantastic, everyone in it was brilliant. Woody Harrelson, an actor I don't have a lot of time for, gives a really restrained performance that would in any other cast be considered outstanding.

Lady Bird too was superb, just lovely, with another brilliant performance from Saoirse Ronan, matched by the always enjoyable Laurie Metcalfe.

Any other year either Frances McDormand or Saoirse Ronan would be shoo-ins for every best actress gong going, this year though the winner will have really earned it.

Really enjoyed The Disaster Artist as well.

And the Last Jedi is just f%~king brilliant - all memories of the disappointment of the prequel trilogy have now been excised by the new films
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I thought three billboards was a poor film. Liberal revenge fantasy, sort of the west wing meets death wish.

There were good actors in it, doing good work with bad material. His treatment of people in the south in the US reminded me of his cod Irish schtick from the 1990s and was embarrassing. I heard someone nitpicking it endlessly (and it rewards that, the is so much wrong with it) but that misses the point. You only do that when the film itself doesn't work.

In a few years time people will look back on this like you would on a film like say Crash and wonder how the f%~k did people not notice how shite it was at the time?

Lady Bird on the other hand was a beautifully realised small scale film.

I was worried the new Star Wars would be too long (not usually a good sign for me) but me and my 9/10 yr old loved it and it never dragged. The funny bits were even funny, the chases were exciting, the secondary characters were sympathetic, and after eight movies they finally put in some backstory as to why anyone would give a sh!t about the rebellion.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:I thought three billboards was a poor film. Liberal revenge fantasy, sort of the west wing meets death wish.

There were good actors in it, doing good work with bad material. His treatment of people in the south in the US reminded me of his cod Irish schtick from the 1990s and was embarrassing. I heard someone nitpicking it endlessly (and it rewards that, the is so much wrong with it) but that misses the point. You only do that when the film itself doesn't work.

In a few years time people will look back on this like you would on a film like say Crash and wonder how the f%~k did people not notice how shite it was at the time?
Thank you! You seem to be the only other person who didn't like it. I really didn't feel there was much of a story beyond the title, and certainly not beyond the trailer. The others I was with loved it, but couldn't really say why :lol:

I did love Crash though, thought there was tension in that that Three Billboards couldn't get close to.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Wind River - worth seeking out, thoughtful, well shot, well cast who done it, good winter mystery
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Avengers - defo one for the big screen, thoroughly enjoyable but you'd need to know your comics and most but not all of the previous marvel films. For 3 hours (counting ads) it bloody flies. Can't wait to see where they go with it, made by people who care about what's gone before and build on it. Everything the Last Jedi was not in terms of moving a franchise forward in an interesting way. As for the villan, probably best one since Loki
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Just watched: You were never really here. Directed by Lynne Ramsay
Starring Joaquin Phoenix

First film to have me that engaged in a long time. Not the easiest thing to watch, but that man can carry a film on his back and show the weight of it in one expression.

Edit: Jonny Greenwood score is exceptional
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote:Just watched: You were never really here. Directed by Lynne Ramsay
Starring Joaquin Phoenix

First film to have me that engaged in a long time. Not the easiest thing to watch, but that man can carry a film on his back and show the weight of it in one expression.
I yield to no one in my admiration for him as an actor (the masters my favourite) and I was saying to my wife before we watchedit that he was going to win the best actor gong for it just cos its time. I still think that but I didn't like the film. We found it silly. A mix of Leon and Taxi Driver. I liked neither of those.

We watched on Chesil Beach last night and I was surprised how good we found that. I took a pick against Ian McEwan years ago (Amsterdam was laughably bad for example). Given that I don't like Taxi Driver I understand its probably not a recommendation for most people...

Watched Apostasy tonight which was okay but won't stick in the mind like Chesil Beach did.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ha, I knew you'd be the first to comment. I thought it was great, although I'd say it's more Man on Fire than Leon.
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The Meg, not played tongue in cheek, edited with ill placed cuts, trimmed excessively to get a children's rating, and for a Chinese co production severely lacking in showcasing any Chinese talent. I've a lot of time for Stath films but god this was so unbearably bad.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote:Ha, I knew you'd be the first to comment. I thought it was great, although I'd say it's more Man on Fire than Leon.
Everyone I know loved it, we just didn't. Could have been our mood.

Another cracking Johnny Greenwood soundtrack though.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Aquaman oddly fun in a sort of knowing Flash Gordon type of way, worth a watch
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Netflix have suggested that I might like this movie :oops:
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

tomthefan wrote:Netflix have suggested that I might like this movie :oops:
16% on RT and Metacritic, yet 6.4 on IMDb. I'm convinced Netflix have bots/employee people to rate and review their shows and films highly on IMDb.