Ireland 6 Nations 2018

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland 6 Nations 2018

Post by simonokeeffe »

jimbobjoe wrote:Looks unlikely for Beirne to be included. Article in the42.ie saying he hasn't had anycontact from Joe.

http://www.the42.ie/tadhg-beirne-hoping ... 8-Jan2018/
Im all for not including him for 6n, to prevent incentives or silver linings for leaving Ireland, but not having any contact seems odd
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

You would wonder if there has been no recent contact because he was told that he would not be considered till next season back when he was announced as signing for Munster. I am just speculating but having read what former players have said (and current ones) about Schmidt it seems that they are usually crystal clear about things because he tells them. I recently read an article from Donncha O'Callaghan where he talked about how Joe would phone him to let him know why he was not picking him despite him never being capped by Joe and only ever making training squads. It is reasonable to think that Beirne has already been told that he won't be considered for selection till he returns to Ireland next season negating the need to keep informing him that he won't be in each and every squad that gets picked. Again it is just an alternative view which would not suit click bait sites.

EDIT: Wanted to make sure I had the Donnacha article.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/time ... -c7l9l7j79
Last edited by OTT on January 17th, 2018, 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

simonokeeffe wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Looks unlikely for Beirne to be included. Article in the42.ie saying he hasn't had anycontact from Joe.

Im all for not including him for 6n, to prevent incentives or silver linings for leaving Ireland, but not having any contact seems odd
He did actually. Schmidt tried to call him on his Irish number which he hadn't turned on in ages. Eventually got him on his Welsh number and told him he was happy he was coming back and that he'd pushed for it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

He did actually. Schmidt tried to call him on his Irish number which he hadn't turned on in ages. Eventually got him on his Welsh number and told him he was happy he was coming back and that he'd pushed for it.
Thats good. I would have thought though he'd still give him his work ons
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

On the other hand, Aki, Farrell and Scannel are three strong additions compared to last year, even if we are missing Payne and Ringrose
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Some of the commentary on Beirne is a bit silly. The line of argumentation is that if Zebo is not being considered because he's going abroad next season, then by the same logic Beirne should be considered now because he is returning next season. But getting full release to attend all training camps/days is very important to being able to function effectively in the team, especially under Joe's ultra-organised system. This seems a very obvious and logical reason for leaving him out, despite all the outraged commentary.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ireland Squad (Nat West 6 Nations Championship 2018, Round 1 and 2)

FORWARDS (20)
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) c 106 caps
Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 5 caps
Sean Cronin (St Mary's College/Leinster) 56 caps
Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 11 caps
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 19 caps
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 73 caps
Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 34 caps
Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 3 cap
Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 22 caps
Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 4 caps
Jack McGrath (St Mary's College/Leinster) 42 caps
Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 18 caps
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 42 caps
Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 3 caps
Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 3 caps
James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 4 caps
John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 11 caps
CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 18 caps
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 53 caps
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 9 caps

BACKS (16)
Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 2 caps
Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster) 6 caps
Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 6 caps
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 62 caps
Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 2 caps
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 31 caps
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 78 caps
Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster) 7 caps
Jordan Larmour (St Mary's College/Leinster)*
Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 18 caps
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 32 caps
Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 6 caps
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 59 caps
Johnny Sexton (St Mary's College/Leinster) 68 caps
Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 3 caps
Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 4 caps

*Denotes Uncapped Player
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Can't quibble with too much there - apart from Marmion ahead of Cooney.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Anti Nordie brigade. Cooney and Big Stu left out for Magrath/Marmion and Rory Scannel
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

From the press release.

“There are a number of players unavailable through injury: Finlay Bealham, Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien, Rhys Ruddock, Tommy O'Donnell, Luke Marshall, Garry Ringrose, Jared Payne and Craig Gilroy as well as Niall Scannell who is due to return to action in the coming weeks”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

D4surfer wrote:From the press release.

“There are a number of players unavailable through injury: Finlay Bealham, Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien, Rhys Ruddock, Tommy O'Donnell, Luke Marshall, Garry Ringrose, Jared Payne and Craig Gilroy as well as Niall Scannell who is due to return to action in the coming weeks”
Possibly the recent injuries to Bealham and Craig Gilroy may have been responsible for supposed delay / late announcement of the Squad. Tough luck on both of them who have contributed well recently. IMO, Cooney unfortunate to miss out and will just have to keep at it. Delighted for John Ryan and a little surprised at Roux's inclusion, but he has done what was required when he was selected.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not many surprises really.

I didn't expect Bealham, Luke Marshall, or TOH to be picked. Sweetnam and Kearney were there in November but haven't been seen much since so no surprise that they're out. Obviously Adam has been injured too, so all that combined means Ferg deserves his place, delighted for him.

I would love to have Cooney in the squad but it's hard to justify leaving out one of the other two behind Murray. I'm the same as Hugo and haven't been impressed with Marmion for a while now, but he has still delivered for Joe in the past and it was hard to see him going from second choice to outside the squad. That's really harsh on Cooney though, he's been great. I'd have Luke on the bench now and whilst I doubt Joe will drop Marmion, I'd hope he's open to changing the bench spot.

Not that I expected him to be in but I'd have liked to have seen ROL in the squad, think he's been good and his versatility could be very handy. Even if we don't need it now, it could become important for the world cup.

I've been championing his Ireland credentials since Joey broke his arm and would say Ross Byrne is very unlucky to miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if Joey plays this weekend, hard to believe he hasn't played since the November and yet is one of only three outhalves in the squad. That's the one decision I'd definitely disagree with.

Congratulations to Larmour, fully deserves it and I've no doubt he'll do himself justice if given the chance.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Great to see Larmour. Also happy for Rory Scannell too who I think is a bit underrated and can give something different.

Harsh on Cooney though imo, Marmion hasn't impressed me much this season.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Also delighted for Cronin that he's back in. I don't think it's purely by default, he's been very good since he was left out of the squad for November. His close in carrying has been particularly impressive.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Also delighted for Cronin that he's back in. I don't think it's purely by default, he's been very good since he was left out of the squad for November. His close in carrying has been particularly impressive.
+1.
He's probably been an example of how Joe wants players to respond. JS will have given him work-ons, upon which we can all surmise. Nugget went away and worked on them but kept them privately and put his head down. No ego and no public moaning and now he's back. That's certainly the way I would hope a player in my Squad would react.

Overall, there's nobody there that I believe is lucky. There are one or two omitted that I think are unlucky. But that will probably be a competitive and hard-working Camp with great anticipation towards France and hoping that they will get back to Aviva against Italy with positive momentum.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder if last year's Scottish game will be on our minds as we go to France? It was just so utterly deflating to lose that when we had ambitions of a Grand Slam, hope it contributes to a big performance in Paris. Plus a quick start in that game could really unsettle a side that has been dire for a while and will have new systems and combinations to bed in.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Also delighted for Cronin that he's back in. I don't think it's purely by default, he's been very good since he was left out of the squad for November. His close in carrying has been particularly impressive.
+1.
He's probably been an example of how Joe wants players to respond. JS will have given him work-ons, upon which we can all surmise. Nugget went away and worked on them but kept them privately and put his head down. No ego and no public moaning and now he's back. That's certainly the way I would hope a player in my Squad would react.

Overall, there's nobody there that I believe is lucky. There are one or two omitted that I think are unlucky. But that will probably be a competitive and hard-working Camp with great anticipation towards France and hoping that they will get back to Aviva against Italy with positive momentum.
Apparently he didn't get work ons or any word from Schmidt. Maybe Joe just got sick of saying it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

paddyor wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
+1.

Apparently he didn't get work ons or any word from Schmidt. Maybe Joe just got sick of saying it.
But never Yo, Joe without yo is no Joe you know
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
+1.

Delighted for him aswel, like you said, kept the head down and just worked hard on his game
Think he said that joe said he hadn't hit the ground running which probably means he wasn't fit which was affecting his game

Looks way fitter and generally hungrier for work...fair play to him, just needs to keep working to get into 23
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Ruckedtobits wrote: Overall, there's nobody there that I believe is lucky. There are one or two omitted that I think are unlucky. But that will probably be a competitive and hard-working Camp with great anticipation towards France and hoping that they will get back to Aviva against Italy with positive momentum.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I'd count Herring, Carberry & Roux as lucky personally.

Herring has been poor for Ulster while Rory Best was missing over Christmas. He's lucky Munster have bounced their Hooker selections about so much, and that Scannell is counted as injured even though he'll certainly be fit in time for France.

I think Quinn Roux has gone missing in some big games, especially the one against us, where he was anonymous in comparison to Dillane. He's lucky that Schmidt has either ruled out Beirne for still being abroad or else feels his all action offloading isn't for him.

Carberry has no business being in there ahead of Ross Byrne. It's ludicrous to think he could play out half for Ireland while Byrne plays for us. It would make far more sense for the reverse to be true. Let Carberry get some gametime with us with Byrne backing up Sexton.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”