Ireland 6 Nations 2018

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland 6 Nations 2018

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Has there been an update on Scannell? Thought he was out for 6 weeks so still has 4 to go?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

On a side note, Cummiskey's article about the team announcement is ridiculous, even by his astonishingly low standards. I can barely decipher the opening few paragraphs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 0?mode=amp
Jordan Larmour remains the story but Rob Kearney should keep 30-something flames burning bright come the team announcement to face France in Ireland’s Six Nations opener in Paris on February 3rd.

Fun parlour game. Think like Joe Schmidt. Find the Ireland Six Nations squad – Facebook being their new weapon of choice to relay sparse information – before copying and pasting the names into a position-specific list.

The debate starts at Number 23: choose one from Larmour, Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell and maybe Fergus McFadden.

The unrelenting McFadden is, like Kearney, still only 31 years young so

Farrell’s power game, having barely missed a beat despite a six week lay-off following knee damage sustained against Argentina, must be close to the starting XV.

Not that Robbie Henshaw and Bundee Aki, probably in reverse order as Aki is a natural foil to Johnny Sexton at 12 while Henshaw has run at 13 for Leinster of late, will be of a mind to make way.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That is atrocious...
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Best team to face France imo (if all fit)

Furlong
Best
Healy
Toner
Henderson
Leavy
Stander
Conan
Earls
Murray
Sexton
Aki
Henshaw
Stockdale
Kearney

I think most positions are nailed down, probably a bit harsh on O'Mahony because hes been playing pretty well, but Leavy has been playing better. Like many, sorry to see Cooney and R Byrne not at least in the training squad, but lets face it Ulster would suffer badly without any 9, and leinster need a ten, Id imagine both calls were made with Province in mind. Joes biggest headaches seem to be 7 and Henshaws partner in midfield.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Experimental wrote:Best team to face France imo (if all fit)

Furlong
Best
Healy
Toner
Henderson
Leavy
Stander
Conan
Earls
Murray
Sexton
Aki
Henshaw
Stockdale
Kearney

I think most positions are nailed down, probably a bit harsh on O'Mahony because hes been playing pretty well, but Leavy has been playing better. Like many, sorry to see Cooney and R Byrne not at least in the training squad, but lets face it Ulster would suffer badly without any 9, and leinster need a ten, Id imagine both calls were made with Province in mind. Joes biggest headaches seem to be 7 and Henshaws partner in midfield.
I agree with the Conan vs O'Mahony call, but VDF would be ahead of Leavy, surely.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah jaysis that's a mad team.

Furlong at lose head. Stander at 7. Earls at scrum half. Murray at out half and sexto on the wing? :)
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

lol johng, I think you know what I mean (quickly typed). VDF vs Leavy is a very tight call, but I just think Leavy has that something special
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I do. But beware the pitchforks and torches if POM doesn't even make the bench.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

CiaranIrl wrote:On a side note, Cummiskey's article about the team announcement is ridiculous, even by his astonishingly low standards. I can barely decipher the opening few paragraphs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 0?mode=amp
Jordan Larmour remains the story but Rob Kearney should keep 30-something flames burning bright come the team announcement to face France in Ireland’s Six Nations opener in Paris on February 3rd.

Fun parlour game. Think like Joe Schmidt. Find the Ireland Six Nations squad – Facebook being their new weapon of choice to relay sparse information – before copying and pasting the names into a position-specific list.

The debate starts at Number 23: choose one from Larmour, Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell and maybe Fergus McFadden.

The unrelenting McFadden is, like Kearney, still only 31 years young so

Farrell’s power game, having barely missed a beat despite a six week lay-off following knee damage sustained against Argentina, must be close to the starting XV.

Not that Robbie Henshaw and Bundee Aki, probably in reverse order as Aki is a natural foil to Johnny Sexton at 12 while Henshaw has run at 13 for Leinster of late, will be of a mind to make way.
Didn't want to click the link but had to check if your copy/paste was correct. Apologies for doubting you Ciaran.

Aside from the obvious, a paid journalist finished a sentence with 'so' in place of punctuation. Appalling.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think O'Mahony, VDF, Stander (with yr pick of Conan or Leavy on the bench) is a balanced back row.

If VdF brings his tackle stats to international level that's a lot of play in that back row.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

I would completely agree johng, one of the biggest calls in Schmidts career would be to leave O'Mahony out of the starting line up. O'Mahony will definitely at least make the bench. I am a big fan of O'Mahony btw, he is clearly a world class player and Id love to see him get back to his best, but he is not right at the moment and the abuse that he threw at the touch judge for those ten meters last weekend was inexcusable in my book. No one seems to be bringing it up, but could have cost munster that game and a home semi. Will be interesting to see if O'Mahony's leadership qualities make him a starter, because on form you would have to say that both VDF and Leavy are ahead.
Last edited by Experimental on January 17th, 2018, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Get rid of old scrunchface I say, he barely knows what a tackle is - CJ/VDF/Conan to start with Leavy to come on with 30 to go.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

jimbobjoe wrote:Get rid of old scrunchface I say, he barely knows what a tackle is - CJ/VDF/Conan to start with Leavy to come on with 30 to go.
Old scrunchface as you call him is surely nailed on to start? Doubt the IRFU gave him a central contract just to sit him on the bench or leave him in the dressing room
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Xanthippe wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Get rid of old scrunchface I say, he barely knows what a tackle is - CJ/VDF/Conan to start with Leavy to come on with 30 to go.
Old scrunchface as you call him is surely nailed on to start? Doubt the IRFU gave him a central contract just to sit him on the bench or leave him in the dressing room
Scrunchface played well against Argentina, his last game in green. His form in a red jersey has been average enough, but better than last season [in my opinion]. Going on how well he has played recently for Ireland, I think he's a shoo-in for the No6 jersey against France.

Think Leavy will get the nod ahead of VDF at No7. Dan is better over the ball than Josh, and it could be a big deal against the French. I can't see them picking an out-and-out openside, so that ability to poach will be really important. They're going to launch into the breakdown though – first match out, in Paris, psyched up and under pressure. I wouldn't fancy it myself!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We're leaving Jordi out of this conversation but Joe won't be.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Unfortunately I think we'll see both POM and Stander in the backrow. That's fine when we have SOB at 7, but with (I'm guessing) VdF at 7, I'd like a stronger carrying 6 than POM.
Stander/Leavy, VdF, Conan/Stander would be my choice. (Stander hasn't been particularly impressive either mind)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Where to start with that Cummiskey article...30 is the new dead, RK is nowhere near oldest player in the squad, he thinks anyone posting online is an idiot compared to him. Maybe the lack of any Rock players starting made him sad

Herring and Roux are 3rd and 5th choice respectively in all likelihood.
Dont see the precedent for Leavy starting, looks a straight shoot for 7 and 19 between JVDF and Murphy to me
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:We're leaving Jordi out of this conversation but Joe won't be.
+1
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
Scrunchface played well against Argentina, his last game in green. His form in a red jersey has been average enough, but better than last season [in my opinion]. Going on how well he has played recently for Ireland, I think he's a shoo-in for the No6 jersey against France.

Think Leavy will get the nod ahead of VDF at No7. Dan is better over the ball than Josh, and it could be a big deal against the French. I can't see them picking an out-and-out openside, so that ability to poach will be really important. They're going to launch into the breakdown though – first match out, in Paris, psyched up and under pressure. I wouldn't fancy it myself!
Joe wouldn't have been impressed by the indiscipline of the Munster team recently.
POM as captain and indeed perpetrator of some of said indiscipline could be on a warning.
Joe doesn't do indiscipline.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

With no SOB available, we can't afford a passenger in the back row. POM shouldn't even make the match day squad unless he improves his stats and discipline. Stander to 6 (where he's played his better rugby for Ireland), JVDF to 7, Conan at 8, Jordi/Leavy on the bench.
Anyone But New Zealand