Leinster v Saracens

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bluemagic
Enlightened

Leinster v Saracens

Post by bluemagic »

The worst team we could have gotten. Saracens style of rugby is perfect to stop us playing our kind of game. Would have been more confident in the RDS but in the Aviva this game could go either way....

Also Saracens having 10 weeks falls right into their hands, they'll get a bit of confidence back and come back against us all guns blazing. Billy V was announced out for 12 weeks in the last few days but have a feeling they'll have him back for this one....

Ulster really let us down today. Racing at home is a completely different ball game.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by blockhead »

Totally agree.
We have no chance, might as well concentrate on the Pro14.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

We have 18 away in the 6 Nations squad. I don’t think many of their Saffers play in that competition. They may be fresher.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

D4surfer wrote:We have 18 away in the 6 Nations squad. I don’t think many of their Saffers play in that competition. They may be fresher.
Think they lost more players to the Lions actually.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Sigh....really, do we have to listen to this stuff for 9/10 weeks ???
My only contribution to the discussion , is that I’m quite sure Sarries reckon that we’re the toughest (away) match that they could have got... and they’re right... if they beat us , then they deserve to do 3 in a row
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Sigh....really, do we have to listen to this stuff for 9/10 weeks ???
My only contribution to the discussion , is that I’m quite sure Sarries reckon that we’re the toughest (away) match that they could have got... and they’re right... if they beat us , then they deserve to do 3 in a row
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Or maybe my only 2 contributions !!
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

This will be a tough match but if we are to win the competition we have to beat the best team at some stage so why not do it when we have home advantage. I think that Leinster Rugby should be able to sell out the Aviva Stadium for this particular fixture which they may not have been able to do for Racing or La Rochelle. As regards Saracens style of play, I have every confidence in Leo and his coaching team to devise a game plan to beat them.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

blockhead wrote:Totally agree.
+1

Might as well use this game to blood young players. No point in risking key players for the Pro 14 run in. We should also target the B&I cup this year.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

CiaranIrl wrote:
blockhead wrote:Totally agree.
+1

Might as well use this game to blood young players. No point in risking key players for the Pro 14 run in. We should also target the B&I cup this year.
Well done lads. We've got to keep this going until 1st April, 'cos when we say it then people will think we're joking.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Realistically, if you're going to win this cup, you're going to have to beat Saracens and /or Clermont along the way. I'd rather Saracens not win away in the quarter-final and then have to play them in London in the semi, I'd prefer to take them on in the quarter-final at home and then the reward would be the semi-final of Scarlets in Dublin or La Rochelle in unknown territory (for them), both of which are eminently winnable.

For a home game, Saracens are probably the best travelers in Europe, and the defending champions, so we couldn't have gotten a tougher home quarter final, but like I said, chances are we have to play them sooner or later, so my preference is Dublin.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Interesting run-ins to our meeting, the facts:

Saracens play Exeter on w/e of March 3rd (with no Internationals available)
Leinster play Scarlets away on w/e of March 3rd -(ditto)

England play Ireland on Mar 17th

On weekend of 24th March, Sarries play Quins at home;
Leinster play Ospreys away on 24th March

Which preparation would you prefer?

Because its almost 10 weeks away, 7 of which are full of 6 Nations matches & Camps, it is absolutely impossible to predict who we or they will have available. However, I wouldn't swop our respective Squads if offered the choice and, IMO, only four of their players would make into a combined XV.

They're competent but have sated their hunger, for now.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Interesting run-ins to our meeting, the facts:

Saracens play Exeter on w/e of March 3rd (with no Internationals available)
Leinster play Scarlets away on w/e of March 3rd -(ditto)

England play Ireland on Mar 17th

On weekend of 24th March, Sarries play Quins at home;
Leinster play Ospreys away on 24th March

Which preparation would you prefer?

Because its almost 10 weeks away, 7 of which are full of 6 Nations matches & Camps, it is absolutely impossible to predict who we or they will have available. However, I wouldn't swop our respective Squads if offered the choice and, IMO, only four of their players would make into a combined XV.

They're competent but have sated their hunger, for now.
I'd say we are on opposite sides of the performance:hunger bell curve
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Interesting stat from one of the morning papers. To win our first to HC's we needed to beat the holders in the knockout stages (Munster & Toulouse). Not possible on the 3rd obviously as we were the champs :mrgreen:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

The point made about Billy V is a good one. This will be his target now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Big ask to come back after such a long layoff and also to consider how little played before Ospreys game.
Bit like us hoping Jamie makes it back but the big difference is they are dependent on a few big players and don’t appear to have the depth we have.
blues_fan
Knowledgeable

Post by blues_fan »

May come off as sour grapes after the fact, but I have always been a proponent of giving top half of the qualifying teams opponent selection as well as home field advantage. Seed 1 can select 6, 7 or 8, and so on, with 4 always having to play 5 so as to give the bottom teams an incentive to improve their position. Could also do a nice little half hour program where the teams select their opponent on the Monday after the last round.

Also would spice up the RWC nicely rather than the boring rigid system we have now and add a little bit of strategy.

Mind you I have no fear for this Leinster team Saracens or not.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

alanair wrote:Or maybe my only 2 contributions !!
Three... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

The completion of the group stage has left us with a mouth watering vista: Saracen's for starters in Dublin; Scarlets - the greatest hurdle in our quest for a fourth star, IMO, as I can't see La Rochelle getting a win in Llanelli - as the main course also - luckily - in Dublin; followed by hopefully our provincial rivals Munster for dessert in Bilbao. Am feeling confident. BRING! IT!! ON!!!!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

bluemagic wrote:The worst team we could have gotten. Saracens style of rugby is perfect to stop us playing our kind of game. Would have been more confident in the RDS but in the Aviva this game could go either way....

Also Saracens having 10 weeks falls right into their hands, they'll get a bit of confidence back and come back against us all guns blazing. Billy V was announced out for 12 weeks in the last few days but have a feeling they'll have him back for this one....

Ulster really let us down today. Racing at home is a completely different ball game.
To be honest, the team I'd most like to avoid are the Scarlets. They are basically a Welsh version of us. Sarries will be tough but all the teams are tough.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us