France v Ireland 4.45pm Sat 3rd February 2018

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Eug
Learner

Re: France v Ireland 4.45pm Sat 3rd February 2018

Post by Eug »

IRELAND v France: R Kearney; K Earls, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong, James Ryan, I Henderson, P O’Mahony, J van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Replacements: S Cronin, J McGrath, John Ryan, D Toner, D Leavy, K Marmion, J Carbery, F McFadden
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

McGrath instead of Marmion acccording to Irishrugby.ie
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

FB livestream was hilarious, lynch mob v McFadden, Conway is injured btw, but best one was all the comments about us not giving any young guys a shot ever becausr Larmour isnt playing
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Glad Dupont isn't starting, think he could cause us problems even if the rest of the team isn't functioning. Still worried about what he could do off the bench though.

So hard to know how they'll perform but there's huge talent in that team.
Think Im right in saying their bench is very inexperienced at this level. Toner probably has more caps than their subs combined, and is angrier :twisted:
If he could just add pointy to angry then he may never have been dropped at all.
Four Stars
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

desperado wrote:McGrath instead of Marmion acccording to Irishrugby.ie
deserved
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Not sure there are many surprises in that team outside the second row. I would agree with a post I now cannot find that Toner is more of a starter than an impact sub. For me he is in the 15 or not in the 23. I think the selected 4 and 5 are both better impact options.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Fireworks wrote:Not sure there are many surprises in that team outside the second row. I would agree with a post I now cannot find that Toner is more of a starter than an impact sub. For me he is in the 15 or not in the 23. I think the selected 4 and 5 are both better impact options.
I disagree with this. When people say impact they usually mean dynamic ball carrying impact but sometimes you just want a steady set piece impact e.g. John Ryan. Also it's no use having 8 "impact" subs as someone is going to have to clean up the ball after there "impact".
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

New levels of delusion and paranoia down in Southern Province judging by the latest post on munsterfans.com

"Schmidt will always find away to keep a quota on non-Leinster players in the squad. Personally I don't believe a word he's says anymore and am highly suspicious of the Conway injury. Obviously after last year dubious "injuries". Maybe he is, don't know, sad state of affairs either way.

Dissapointed with the team, but not surprised. One again finding it hard to get myself up for 6 Nations again. Schmidt is seriously ruining watching Irish Rugby for me. But as long as he plays to his base (Dublin) there will be little to no criticism from the media. And he'll remain unchallenged."

Apart from moaning about Conway's injury and the now ritual Zebo and Donnacha Ryan comments, this particular turnip doesn't point out a single position where a Munster player should be ahead of the team that has been picked. Frankly if Conway was fit I'd have no problem with him as 23 ahead of McFadden, but he's not.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

brenno wrote:New levels of delusion and paranoia down in Southern Province judging by the latest post on munsterfans.com

"Schmidt will always find away to keep a quota on non-Leinster players in the squad. Personally I don't believe a word he's says anymore and am highly suspicious of the Conway injury. Obviously after last year dubious "injuries". Maybe he is, don't know, sad state of affairs either way.

Dissapointed with the team, but not surprised. One again finding it hard to get myself up for 6 Nations again. Schmidt is seriously ruining watching Irish Rugby for me. But as long as he plays to his base (Dublin) there will be little to no criticism from the media. And he'll remain unchallenged."

Apart from moaning about Conway's injury and the now ritual Zebo and Donnacha Ryan comments, this particular turnip doesn't point out a single position where a Munster player should be ahead of the team that has been picked. Frankly if Conway was fit I'd have no problem with him as 23 ahead of McFadden, but he's not.
Indeed and its not as if Schmidt has not been a fan of Conway's in the past as has been pointed out here before.
Four Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sure if Conway was picked some people would say it was only because Joe had him at Leinster.

To keep the Leinster bias theme going, I'm delighted that Luke is on the bench. Really haven't been impressed with Marmion for quite a while now (although he did well against England) so glad that Joe was willing to change things there.

Also think Porter is very unlucky to miss out. I don't think Ryan has been in terrible form (aside from the moment of lunacy against Ulster) but he hasn't been starting for Munster and Porter has been great and could offer a huge impact. I suppose it's a bit like McGrath being dropped in November except that there was a more experienced alternative in that case. I wouldn't be surprised to see Porter next week and for him to make that bench place his own. I'm always cautious about expecting too much too soon from young players, but his development has been extraordinary in recent months.

I wonder if Ferg covers the centre now? Probably not, but his style is more similar to Aki and Henshaw than anyone else we've got.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

brenno wrote:New levels of delusion and paranoia down in Southern Province judging by the latest post on munsterfans.com

Had a peep for my sins, the same punter a few posts later thinks Stander is in need of a rest having been overplayed for 2-3 years. Could you just imagine if 'Blue Joe' had of picked Conan ahead of him for that reason :lol: Comical stuff.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Joe is biased against Munster, he's only picked one south african born player
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Sure if Conway was picked some people would say it was only because Joe had him at Leinster.

To keep the Leinster bias theme going, I'm delighted that Luke is on the bench. Really haven't been impressed with Marmion for quite a while now (although he did well against England) so glad that Joe was willing to change things there.

Also think Porter is very unlucky to miss out. I don't think Ryan has been in terrible form (aside from the moment of lunacy against Ulster) but he hasn't been starting for Munster and Porter has been great and could offer a huge impact. I suppose it's a bit like McGrath being dropped in November except that there was a more experienced alternative in that case. I wouldn't be surprised to see Porter next week and for him to make that bench place his own. I'm always cautious about expecting too much too soon from young players, but his development has been extraordinary in recent months.

I wonder if Ferg covers the centre now? Probably not, but his style is more similar to Aki and Henshaw than anyone else we've got.
Ah, even Furlong struggled in Paris 2 years ago. It's mad to think Porter already has 22 Leinster caps and a few Ireland caps, he'll get his shot but Paris isn't the place for him.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Sure if Conway was picked some people would say it was only because Joe had him at Leinster.

Might need Xan's help here, but when was the last time Ferg kicked for us?
Seeing that been given as reason but dont buy it

I think our plan for centre cover is blind luck
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The only Munster players that might be in contention.
James Cronin at LH.bench.
Scannell at Hooker. Injured?
O'Donnell - Back Row. Injured?
Keatley at OH bench.
Scannell at Cenrre.
Conway - Back three. Injured.
So 3 more possible Munster selections and Joe is a saint.
Wouldn't back any of those changes.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:

Don't think he's kicked for us since the opening game of last season at home to Treviso when he kicked a penalty and a conversion.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ferg or Earls or Carberry at 10 and Johnny at 12 al la Dekko Kidney. That's about it.

I'd put ferg in if it was me. Bundy and Robbie are fairly "durable" tbf though. They'd durable the chyte outa most players.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

cormac wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Don't think he's kicked for us since the opening game of last season at home to Treviso when he kicked a penalty and a conversion.
As per Cormac - last time he kicked for Leinster was September 2016 and last time he kicked for Ireland was NEVER!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote:
Fireworks wrote:Not sure there are many surprises in that team outside the second row. I would agree with a post I now cannot find that Toner is more of a starter than an impact sub. For me he is in the 15 or not in the 23. I think the selected 4 and 5 are both better impact options.
I disagree with this. When people say impact they usually mean dynamic ball carrying impact but sometimes you just want a steady set piece impact e.g. John Ryan. Also it's no use having 8 "impact" subs as someone is going to have to clean up the ball after there "impact".
Toner can change a game. Especially if POM is the expected backrow to make way.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Chapeaus to Cormac and Xan

Joe mentioned at the presser Henderson can play 6 which would scare me. Dont think Toner is in the Mike Ross leagues of start or bust meself