Ireland vs Scotland 2018 6N

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: Ireland vs Scotland 2018 6N

Post by CiaranIrl »

I don't know anything about Earls, but Sexton definitely didn't train this week. My understanding is that they are leaving it to the last minute to make a call. Murray is fine.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

CiaranIrl wrote:I don't know anything about Earls, but Sexton definitely didn't train this week. My understanding is that they are leaving it to the last minute to make a call. Murray is fine.
Funny I though I saw pictures of Sexton training at a snowy Carton house?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

desperado wrote:have Jack C and Fergus been given defensive work-ons I wonder; or is that Jordi and Larmour are picked for other reasons (that's of course assuming that is the actual team).
Jordi over Jack means we have genuine 7 cover which is badly needed against the Scottish backrow
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Earls, Sexton and Murray all names to start. Dev and Ryan starting. Henderson, Murphy and Larmour bench.

I'm still doubtful about Sexton personally.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Henderson on the bench. I expected him to partner Ryan because their power and combined work rate would be very useful for blowing Barclay and Watson off the ball, but there'll be a hell of an impact from our froward subs and it'd be good to see Henderson rotate in against England then.

Delighted for Jordi that he made it in too. I don't think Jack has done anything major to keep his place, but hope that one defensive error (bad as it was) hasn't cost him too much because it's very unlike him. I'm guessing Jordi is in because of the threat of the Scots at the breakdown, he'll work his ass off in that department and our bench really looks like it's made for running riot late on, although the weather may hinder that.

I'm dubious about Sexton's involvement given the rumours, but it's a very strong team regardless.

I don't expect us to repeat all the mistakes we made against Wales, but am slightly worried that we'll overcompensate for their first try when we didn't get around the corner quick enough, which could then leave us exposed on the blindside, particularly if Hogg spots it and can get his hands on the ball. Overall it's hard to see our pack not doing enough to get us in front though.

If we get 5 points then we're pretty much guaranteed to win the championship. You'd hope that carrot is enough for us to really perform on Saturday, and if the team runs out as named (and players are actually fit and firing), and the weather isn't too much of an issue, then I think that looks like a 23 that can make that championship a reality.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

simonokeeffe wrote:
desperado wrote:have Jack C and Fergus been given defensive work-ons I wonder; or is that Jordi and Larmour are picked for other reasons (that's of course assuming that is the actual team).
Jordi over Jack means we have genuine 7 cover which is badly needed against the Scottish backrow
He's better at the breakdown, a better line-out option and he's as good a carrier as any of their back row options IMO. If Barclay, Watson and Wilson are going well you don't want to bring on another 8 for Leavy or POM.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Toners ability to make Grey brothers shrivel up and cry every time he plays against them wins him selection I guess.
I have Bumbleflex
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

I see Scotland have 9 Scottish born players to start. England have a fair handful of non-English born as have Italy. And France and ourselves have a few, and they tell us that rugby is booming. Doesn’t add up.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Its a good selection. Schmidt seems to be willing to take more chances this year in terms of trusting young players and theres more variety going forward in the last two games. Larmour's selection is potentially risky (though I think he'll be fine) but a good call. That the bench selection looks like they're going for the bonus point.

Toner's selection could be a sign that Ireland are focusing on lineouts and mauls. The Scottish pack is mobile but they might be lacking a bit of power.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Good balanced selection. The only surprise for me was Larmour on the bench. Did not think he would get another run until the summer. Godd forwards impact from the bench.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fireworks wrote:Good balanced selection. The only surprise for me was Larmour on the bench. Did not think he would get another run until the summer. Godd forwards impact from the bench.
Maybe hes thinking bonus point win, wrap up the championship
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Fireworks wrote:Good balanced selection. The only surprise for me was Larmour on the bench. Did not think he would get another run until the summer. Godd forwards impact from the bench.
Does Joe ever think that way? Would be an education to hear how he really thinks if you could strip away the rubbish that he feeds to the press.

I think it is a very encouraging selection because Larmour must have show an improvement in training that would suggest he is less likely to make the same mistakes again. Joe must have confidence in him being able to compete for the full game because an early injury could see that happen. He would be a nightmare for a tiring team to see coming on with 15 min left.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Fireworks wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Does Joe ever think that way? Would be an education to hear how he really thinks if you could strip away the rubbish that he feeds to the press.

I think it is a very encouraging selection because Larmour must have show an improvement in training that would suggest he is less likely to make the same mistakes again. Joe must have confidence in him being able to compete for the full game because an early injury could see that happen. He would be a nightmare for a tiring team to see coming on with 15 min left.

On paper, but that was what happened against Italy and it didn’t turn out that way.

Often we look at benches and talk about impact, but it’s rare that one player comes on and has such a major game turning impact.
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

It's very different coming on at wing as part of a backline reshuffle following an unexpected injury substitution, and coming on as a direct unenforced replacement in position at fullback
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Likewise it’s very different coming on against a tiring Italy with a huge lead than a fitter Scotland potentially without one.
I know which I'd prefer. Scotland are far more likely to make an outside back make decisions.

What I'm saying is that Larmour coming on in a tight game in the last 15 is as likely to be targeted as he is to 'be a nightmare'.

He's a cracking talent, but with a lot to learn about playing at test level too.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Raydollard wrote:I see Scotland have 9 Scottish born players to start. England have a fair handful of non-English born as have Italy. And France and ourselves have a few, and they tell us that rugby is booming. Doesn’t add up.
We have two non native Irish in the starting 15 and four in the squad if you stretch the definition to Marmion and Carbery.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the spoofer wrote:
Raydollard wrote:I see Scotland have 9 Scottish born players to start. England have a fair handful of non-English born as have Italy. And France and ourselves have a few, and they tell us that rugby is booming. Doesn’t add up.
We have two non native Irish in the starting 15 and four in the squad if you stretch the definition to Marmion and Carbery.
A yogi couldnt stretch that far

The bigger scandal is why so many Scottish people emmigrated to New Zealand
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

simonokeeffe wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
A yogi couldnt stretch that far

The bigger scandal is why so many Scottish people emmigrated to New Zealand
Or why New Zealand let them in.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Stretching the 'foreign player' tag to Carbery is a bit outrageous, born abroad to two Irish parents and returned here by age 12.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

neiliog93 wrote:Stretching the 'foreign player' tag to Carbery is a bit outrageous, born abroad to two Irish parents and returned here by age 12.
Is Carbery's aul lad not a New Zealander?