Boardgames

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

IanD
Official Mascot

Boardgames

Post by IanD »

Hey All

I have recently started playing Boardgames and was wondering if anyone else partakes.

There is a convention on in Limerick the day we play Zebre. Decisions decisions.

Ian
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Boardgames

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

kids are loving harry potter cleudo, my fave as a kd was escape from Colditz maybe when the kids hit 11 I'll introduce them to the joys
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

My kids (7 and 10) love:

love letter
Jaipur
Sushi Go!
Coup
Exploding kittens

And really like
Small World
Carcassonne
Munchkins

For some reason I haven't brought down Settlers of Catan from the attic as I always thought it was a bit harder than Carcassonne but other parents tell me it actually works better with kids.
So in general they prefer short, casual games over those that take a lot of setting up. I know most of those above are really basically card games.
I'm looking forward to trying some coop games with them, Stuffed Fables is on my radar.

Edit@OSS I saw a nice new edition of Colditz in a catalogue recently...
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:kids are loving harry potter cleudo, my fave as a kd was escape from Colditz maybe when the kids hit 11 I'll introduce them to the joys
Colditz!!!! Jeepers, memories. Used to play that when over in the cousins when I was a kid. Loved it. Around the same era - Diplomacy.

Wonder if they are still around
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

The Doc wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:kids are loving harry potter cleudo, my fave as a kd was escape from Colditz maybe when the kids hit 11 I'll introduce them to the joys
Colditz!!!! Jeepers, memories. Used to play that when over in the cousins when I was a kid. Loved it. Around the same era - Diplomacy.

Wonder if they are still around
I played Diplomacy a fair bit as a kid and even in college a few times. The games still exist, and there's even clients where you can play online with a gang of mates. I was roped into doing that once - was a bit of fun. https://www.playdiplomacy.com/
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

If you want to loose a few hours, quite a few then try to find Talisman by Games Workshop, I recommend the second edition, large dragon on the front, you'll get it on eBay. Epic, super geeky but epic.