England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Post by CiaranIrl »

No, O'Mahony was excellent this campaign. I'd be absolutely happy to see him as the next captain now.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

CiaranIrl wrote:No, O'Mahony was excellent this campaign. I'd be absolutely happy to see him as the next captain now.
Nah James Ryan to be next skipper :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Delighted for Joe Schmidt and the lads. They went over to Twickenham and never looked like losing ... how often can you say that? England haven't lost there in the Six Nations in six years. It really is a great achievement.

I hadn't picked this Six Nations as one that was particularly ripe for a Grand Slam! I'm not sure many did. France aren't the force they were, but winning over there is a big ask. Winning in Twickenham is obviously an even bigger one.

Schmidt managed to bring in a whole rake of young players – Stockdale [5+0], Ryan [4+0], Porter [1+3], Carberry [0+4] and Larmour [0+3] – integrate them into the team successfully and allow them to perform at their optimum. I don't think I'm ever going to see a debut Six Nations campaign like Stockdale's again, he has achieved some incredible feats.

There was also really prominent parts played by Bundee Aki and Dan Leavy, guys who had very little test experience going into the tournament. I think Bundee had a couple of November caps and Leavy not many more. They were new players to the team and didn't look it at all. They took to Six Nations rugby very, very readily. Chris Farrell also deserves a mention in that regard, even though he only appeared in one game. He stepped in, played extremely well and took his opportunity.

The wins had Joe Schmidt written all over them and all though them. Rugby is a team game that encompasses a wide variety of physical, athletic and technical skills and as such tends to reward coherency, well-preparedness and effort moreso than the solo initiative. Our ability to convert territory into points was exceptionally good throughout the tournament. We scored a shedload of tries [20, the most since England's 23 in 2002] and a lot of them were muscled over from short-range after big men carried hard. Personally speaking I have a lot of belief in that sort of rugby, but it also means that there's room to expand into if it's not working.

I'm particularly happy for Rob Kearney and Jonny Sexton. Sexton is so important for us and has really soldiered through the campaign for us after that sensational drop goal against the French. He has faced some good challengers in his last three games [Biggar, Russell and Farrell] and sent them all packing. RK has been over-criticised over a long period of time and it has been great to see him show good form and turn in a couple of outstanding performances in the last two games. A serious, big-time player. Four Six Nations championships!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:Delighted for Joe Schmidt and the lads. They went over to Twickenham and never looked like losing ... how often can you say that? England haven't lost there in the Six Nations in six years. It really is a great achievement.

I hadn't picked this Six Nations as one that was particularly ripe for a Grand Slam! I'm not sure many did. France aren't the force they were, but winning over there is a big ask. Winning in Twickenham is obviously an even bigger one.

Schmidt managed to bring in a whole rake of young players – Stockdale [5+0], Ryan [4+0], Porter [1+3], Carberry [0+4] and Larmour [0+3] – integrate them into the team successfully and allow them to perform at their optimum. I don't think I'm ever going to see a debut Six Nations campaign like Stockdale's again, he has achieved some incredible feats.

There was also really prominent parts played by Bundee Aki and Dan Leavy, guys who had very little test experience going into the tournament. I think Bundee had a couple of November caps and Leavy not many more. They were new players to the team and didn't look it at all. They took to Six Nations rugby very, very readily. Chris Farrell also deserves a mention in that regard, even though he only appeared in one game. He stepped in, played extremely well and took his opportunity.

The wins had Joe Schmidt written all over them and all though them. Rugby is a team game that encompasses a wide variety of physical, athletic and technical skills and as such tends to reward coherency, well-preparedness and effort moreso than the solo initiative. Our ability to convert territory into points was exceptionally good throughout the tournament. We scored a shedload of tries [20, the most since England's 23 in 2002] and a lot of them were muscled over from short-range after big men carried hard. Personally speaking I have a lot of belief in that sort of rugby, but it also means that there's room to expand into if it's not working.

I'm particularly happy for Rob Kearney and Jonny Sexton. Sexton is so important for us and has really soldiered through the campaign for us after that sensational drop goal against the French. He has faced some good challengers in his last three games [Biggar, Russell and Farrell] and sent them all packing. RK has been over-criticised over a long period of time and it has been great to see him show good form and turn in a couple of outstanding performances in the last two games. A serious, big-time player. Four Six Nations championships!
This was a stand out season for an Ireland GS.
A post lions season is always going to be an opportunity for France, in particular, then Ireland given our usually unrepresentative representation in lions squads.
With France in disarray coming into the 6Ns, this was always going to be our season of opportunity.
This had been pointed our on more than one occasion prior to 6Ns.
England club performances in the ERC further underline the post lions effect.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by simonokeeffe

After giving his medal to a kid with Down's Syndrome after the game I will find it very hard to make fun of POMs angry face or elite pointing ever again
Didn't know he did that. What a gentlemanly thing to do. Fair play to him! Was very impressed with his performances in this campaign too.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

After this GS win other teams are going to start analysing what we are doing.
Our standout strength was at the breakdown.
Even yesterday England tried to negate it by using the choke tackle as often as possible and/or trying to rip the ball in contact, theteby reducing the number of rucks.
They had some success too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by simonokeeffe

After giving his medal to a kid with Down's Syndrome after the game I will find it very hard to make fun of POMs angry face or elite pointing ever again
Didn't know he did that. What a gentlemanly thing to do. Fair play to him! Was very impressed with his performances in this campaign too.
Yeah its all over twitter and most of the newspapers accounts have it
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by simonokeeffe

He was good, in fairness most of the slagging he gets here is in direct response the BS directed at Heaslip over on Munster Fans. Not a true reflection of what he gives to the national team.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

I thought he was poor for Munster this season but very good for ireland. Not the first player to say that about (for other provinces too)
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:After this GS win other teams are going to start analysing what we are doing.
Our standout strength was at the breakdown.
Even yesterday England tried to negate it by using the choke tackle as often as possible and/or trying to rip the ball in contact, theteby reducing the number of rucks.
They had some success too.
They've been at it for two years already but they probably have a misunderstanding of what they should be looking for, or at. Long may that be the case. Not appropriate to speculate here on what they should have been loooking at. In any case, its neither easy to counteract or replicate. A clue to this is how often players refer to the "hard work" in camp. They do work hard, not least on research and review.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

ribs wrote:I thought he was poor for Munster this season but very good for ireland. Not the first player to say that about (for other provinces too)
It's true he hasn't had a great season with Munster but I remember thinking that he pretty much always ups his game and performs for Ireland, and he didn't let us down there. Arguably mightn't have deserved to start on current form but certainly rewarded the faith shown.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Oldschool wrote:So coach Joe and his merry men have a few more firsts to achieve.
A series win in the SH.
A back to back GS.
A RWC semi final.
A RWC final.
A RWC win.
An unbeaten run in a calender year.
A ranking of 1st.
Aim for the stars and you might reach the moon.
I could be wrong but I think we went unbeaten in 2009 - a draw vs Australia being the only non win.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

20 all or so. Bod saved our blushes with a late try in croker
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:20 all or so. Bod saved our blushes with a late try in croker
That the beautiful try set play off a scrum?
IIRC we were murdered in most of the scrums that game, shows how things have changed
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

What a slam! the best campaign so far. The whole squad did so well. Special mentions for Leavy and Ryan in the forwards, as a pair they worked so well. In the backs Stockdale, who has sent shockwaves with his strike rate. This is a special group of players. If we can shore up the wide defense, improve our kicking off the tee and come up some attack plans to bring our new weapons like Larmour into the game more effectively we'll be close to the complete team.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Experimental wrote:What a slam! the best campaign so far. The whole squad did so well. Special mentions for Leavy and Ryan in the forwards, as a pair they worked so well. In the backs Stockdale, who has sent shockwaves with his strike rate. This is a special group of players. If we can shore up the wide defense, improve our kicking off the tee and come up some attack plans to bring our new weapons like Larmour into the game more effectively we'll be close to the complete team.
Defensive restarts need a bit of work too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The thing I found strange watching the match was how anti climatic the match itself was - in comparison to the build up and what was on the line. It was apparent after 20 mins to half an hour into it that Ireland were going to win. We had England sussed out and kept them pretty much at arms length. I found the last hour or so pretty excruciating, not because I thought England might come back into it, but because I simply wanted it to be over and the win confirmed. It was a very weird feeling to have about such an important game.
I have Bumbleflex
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Dave Cahill wrote:The thing I found strange watching the match was how anti climatic the match itself was - in comparison to the build up and what was on the line. It was apparent after 20 mins to half an hour into it that Ireland were going to win. We had England sussed out and kept them pretty much at arms length. I found the last hour or so pretty excruciating, not because I thought England might come back into it, but because I simply wanted it to be over and the win confirmed. It was a very weird feeling to have about such an important game.
They threw everything at Ireland but were still off the mark, the last try when the clock was in the red put some unwarranted gloss on the English score. You'd have to think that if we needed another score or bonus point we would have taken it.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Dave Cahill wrote:The thing I found strange watching the match was how anti climatic the match itself was - in comparison to the build up and what was on the line. It was apparent after 20 mins to half an hour into it that Ireland were going to win. We had England sussed out and kept them pretty much at arms length. I found the last hour or so pretty excruciating, not because I thought England might come back into it, but because I simply wanted it to be over and the win confirmed. It was a very weird feeling to have about such an important game.

I must admit I was very nervous before the game. I was in Paris and celebrated like a loon when Sexton nailed that drop goal but I have always had a feeling that we would win the home games. England at Twickenham for the Slam was a huge ask but after 20 minutes it seemed inevitable that we would win. A very strange feeling watching the second half, totally delighted but quietly satisfied more so than the heart attack stuff in Cardiff in 2009.
This team is operating at a level of sustained excellence rarely seen in Irish sport.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Please don't do a Matty Williams on it :D