Techy advice needed

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Techy advice needed

Post by FLIP »

kermischocolate wrote:Anyone able to help with in-car music technology?

In short I can't stand Apple so have finally ditched my ipod (sorry to those that may offend) but I'm having trouble getting my new mp3 player and my car (2012 Honda Jazz) to speak to eachother properly.

Any guru's out there willing to listen to the whole saga and help with a solution (sticking with apple isn't it!)?
You'll probably need to find a way to put the MP3 player in a mode that it shares the files on board with the car, from what a little googling tells me
Anyone But New Zealand
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

FLIP wrote:

In short I can't stand Apple so have finally ditched my ipod (sorry to those that may offend) but I'm having trouble getting my new mp3 player and my car (2012 Honda Jazz) to speak to eachother properly.

Any guru's out there willing to listen to the whole saga and help with a solution (sticking with apple isn't it!)?
You'll probably need to find a way to put the MP3 player in a mode that it shares the files on board with the car, from what a little googling tells me
Cheers- See it does that. Sort of.

If I connect via usb and use it in "mass storage mode" it works but the organisation of all the folders is a mess. They're not in any hierarchical order and I can't access any playlists. They're not even sorted into artist/ album/ song etc. So it's good to randomly play things but not to actually find anything specific.
If I connect via usb and have it in normal player mode it says "unsupported" and nothing works.
If I connect via the aux function it works but I can't use the car controls- or see what track is being played etc on the display.
I seem to only be able to connect my phone via bluetooth to the car.

Why do these things need to be so complicated?!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

kermischocolate wrote:
FLIP wrote:

Cheers- See it does that. Sort of.

If I connect via usb and use it in "mass storage mode" it works but the organisation of all the folders is a mess. They're not in any hierarchical order and I can't access any playlists. They're not even sorted into artist/ album/ song etc. So it's good to randomly play things but not to actually find anything specific.
If I connect via usb and have it in normal player mode it says "unsupported" and nothing works.
If I connect via the aux function it works but I can't use the car controls- or see what track is being played etc on the display.
I seem to only be able to connect my phone via bluetooth to the car.

Why do these things need to be so complicated?!
Get the appropriate usb lead to connect your mp3 to your phone and connect your phone via bluetooth to the car to use properly. Usb devices rarely connect to cars well if they don't operate on either iShit or Android.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
kermischocolate
Mullet

Peg Leg wrote:Get the appropriate usb lead to connect your mp3 to your phone and connect your phone via bluetooth to the car to use properly. Usb devices rarely connect to cars well if they don't operate on either iShit or Android.
You Sir, are a genius!

I'll give it a go.
kermischocolate
Mullet

kermischocolate wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Get the appropriate usb lead to connect your mp3 to your phone and connect your phone via bluetooth to the car to use properly. Usb devices rarely connect to cars well if they don't operate on either iShit or Android.
You Sir, are a genius!

I'll give it a go.
That didn't work either. Thanks anyway though.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

kermischocolate wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
You Sir, are a genius!

I'll give it a go.
That didn't work either. Thanks anyway though.
There are usually a couple of options when connecting the 3rd party device to your phone. If you use it as mass storage only you should be able to browse the drive through the phones media player.. which begs the question which media player you're using? A lot of them have moved to streaming as the standard with local play as the secondary. A bit of playing around with the device settings may sort it. In the forst instance get the 2 synch'd before adding the car.
Daniel Sullivan
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

I will be in Lucca, Italy at the weekend. Very bad forward planning I know. Finding a place to watch the match is proving a little tricky. Rather than relying on a dodgy stream, I'm thinking about a daily Sky Sports pass on Now TV. Just wondering has anyone here used this service before and how reliable it is?
Last edited by John23 on April 18th, 2018, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

John23 wrote:I will be in Lucca, Italy at the weekend. Very bad forward planning I know. Finding a place to watch the match is proving a little tricky. Rather than relying on a dodgy stream, I'm thinking about a daily Sky Sports pass on Now TV. Just wondering has anyone here used this service before and reliable it is?
NowTV is usually good. But no idea if it will actually work abroad.
Anyone But New Zealand
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Thanks Flip. Just did a little trawl. Sky change their usage policy in mid March saying that customers normally resident in the UK & ROI can now view live content in the EU.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

I use it reasonably often for sky sports and 99% of the time it's excellent in terms of video quality.

There is a disconnect between device apps (Android) and website though as I can't buy a pass on the app - I have to login to the website which then syncs my account. On windows you have to download a separate application which needs you to to login via the website on your browser and will then open the app when you try to watch something - Why they can't have full features on their applications is beyond me.

Another thing to bear in mind is that it has a device limit of three (I think) devices which can be changed on a monthly basis.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sky now app works fine for me
Daniel Sullivan
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

https://youtu.be/zFX3Ju6cl-k

Techy Advice for less techy amongst us....
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

brotheroffrank wrote:https://youtu.be/zFX3Ju6cl-k

Techy Advice for the less techy amongst us....
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Looking to buy a SIM free phone. Anyone ever use Laptopdirect.ie or have an opinion on them? Or any other suggestions on where to look? Thanks
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Scott wrote:Looking to buy a SIM free phone. Anyone ever use Laptopdirect.ie or have an opinion on them? Or any other suggestions on where to look? Thanks
Amazon always a good option
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Amazon is the man. I have access to trade pricing on a lot of IT stuff and a bit of digging Amazon will normally give me similar if not better pricing on occasion.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Scott wrote:Looking to buy a SIM free phone. Anyone ever use Laptopdirect.ie or have an opinion on them? Or any other suggestions on where to look? Thanks
If Laptopdirect.ie is the same firm as the UK equivilant then they are reliable in any dealings I have had with them.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

John Lewis.com will normally run at lowest price available for tablets and phones, they track other prices and match them, one of my girls bought an iPhone 8 from them last week.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

I've been considering taking a punt on a sim-free phone from a Chinese manufacturer such as Xiaomi. A lot of them come dual-sim and have competitive specs and usually for less than £300.

Not sure the best retailers though as Amazon isn't always reliable and they don't have any approved Ire/UK/EU distributors.

Anyone have any experience with this?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Not a reply to above but...

I normally stick to "Prime" or "fulfilled by Amazon" If you are buying from anyone else on Amazon check out the reviews on the company selling. If they have very few or a lot of negative ones stay clear.