A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
ronk wrote:If you look at historical parallels, I'd say that Molony is Cullen and Ryan is O'Kelly (/Casey)

I find it instructive even if the ages are reversed.
I'd say Ryan is on another level talent wise to Casey, probably several levels tbh.

O'Kelly is a good comparison though, as is Molony with Cullen.
Casey is the same age as Cullen. His international career was over 2 years before Cullen’s started. He was a rising star for Ireland until he wasn’t.

Casey was also a beast. The proper parallel with Ryan is probably O’Connell.

I’m a huge fan of Cullen as a player. He won games and trophies but didn’t win many man of the match awards or dominate many highlights reels.

EOS and Kidney didn’t know how to get the best out of him. Joe was too late (to Ireland) for him.
EOS and Kidney didn't want to get the best out of Cullen, you mean.
They were more interested in getting the best out of MOD.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
leinsterforever wrote: Yeah, Cullen did get a bit of a raw deal internationally. He made a great start to the 6N one year, playing very well in the first two games while O'Callaghan was injured, and then he was just dropped straight away when DOC was back for the third game. That time he was brought on with something like 10 seconds of normal time left against France wasn't a great look. And then there was the time he didn't make the squad for the tour of NZ in 2012 when he was Heineken Cup winning captain. I thought that was a bit strange
I remember that year - it was 2010. Leo absolutely took apart the Italian and French lineouts: he stole 4 against the Italians [source: http://en.espn.co.uk/ireland/rugby/match/94943.html ] and 3 against the French [source: http://en.espn.co.uk/sixnations/rugby/match/94947.html ].

Seven lineouts stolen in two games in the Six Nations and you get dropped? And he had the highest tackle count on the Irish side in the Italian game!
Well remembered abd bang on comment.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:
hugonaut wrote:These are really good threads, by the way. Enjoying the discussion.

It's intriguing to see the team selection for this evening's game with Scott Fardy on the blindside and Josh Murphy nominally selected as the second row substitute. I wonder if Murphy will come on in the row or if Fardy will switch into the row and Murphy play at No6?
Thanks, just trying to generate some new content.

I'd assume Fardy will move into 2nd row and Murphy will play his natural position of 6, to give him every chance at succeeding.
It wouldn’t make sense not to move Fardy in that situation.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

sunshiner1 wrote:Don't want to talk about Cullen's time with Ireland as it will make me angry. As for our second rows I gotta say that Mick Kearney has being for me a disappointment since he signed from Connacht. I know injury has affected him but I really hoped he'd have being pushing for a first team/bench position instead of being a squad player.

Mick Kearney is a strange one. He obviously was injured for a long time when he first came then he seemed to come into his own at the end of the 15-16 season. In my mind he was pushing for a start beside Dev at the start of last season but he missed a ridiculous tackle against Glasgow in the first game after coming on as sub where the fella just ran right through him and he has literally never lived it down it seems. He fell behind everyone in the pecking order including Nagle. Interesting in one of those little 1minute interviews for the euro cup Isa said he was the best trainer at the province. You would think that would be a quality that would endear him to Leo but maybe he just does not have the quality at the top end. Certainly thought he would have pushed on last season.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

OTT wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Don't want to talk about Cullen's time with Ireland as it will make me angry. As for our second rows I gotta say that Mick Kearney has being for me a disappointment since he signed from Connacht. I know injury has affected him but I really hoped he'd have being pushing for a first team/bench position instead of being a squad player.

Mick Kearney is a strange one. He obviously was injured for a long time when he first came then he seemed to come into his own at the end of the 15-16 season. In my mind he was pushing for a start beside Dev at the start of last season but he missed a ridiculous tackle against Glasgow in the first game after coming on as sub where the fella just ran right through him and he has literally never lived it down it seems. He fell behind everyone in the pecking order including Nagle. Interesting in one of those little 1minute interviews for the euro cup Isa said he was the best trainer at the province. You would think that would be a quality that would endear him to Leo but maybe he just does not have the quality at the top end. Certainly thought he would have pushed on last season.
Had he gotten that try against the Cheetahs, it would have gotten this season off to a great start. We might have even won the match. Hopefully he'll take his chance to impress anocht!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Because Leo slowed down a lot in his last couple of seasons I tend to forget just how good he was in the 2007-2011ish period. He really sorted a dodgy Leinster line-out on his return from Leicester, even with Jackman as hooker. It really is ridiculous that he lost out to MOD for so long.

Looking at Molony, I don't think he's anywhere near Leo's level nor ever will be. He could well be our MOD, which I don't mean as an insult; i.e a guy who is very good at Pro 14 level, good at Champions' Cup level and just about competent at international level. James Ryan obviously has world class potential. He's not dissimilar to O'Kelly but is smaller physically, while also being more mobile/athletic and more aggressive (and I know Big Mal was a great athlete in his own right). I hope some of the big 6'7" boys coming through like Charlie Ryan and Jack Dunne can step up.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Great photo.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Update:

Cormac Daly(Clontarf) & Jack Dunne(DUFC) have had two impressive seasons in 1A, both are expected to make Ireland u20 squad.

Aaron Browne(Old Wesley) hasn't played all season, While JJ O'Dea(Old Wesley) has been impressive in 1B.

Charlie Ryan(UCD) recently made his debut after injury.

It will be interesting to see how Leinster will deal with Dunne & Daly, especially with Ryan behind them at u19 level and top prospect Ryan Baird set to leave school.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Both Jack Dunne and Cormac Daly started in the second row for Ireland under-20, Dunne was more impressive IMO but thought both went well.

Dunne is listed at 6'7 110kg, while Daly is 6'6 111kg.

Charlie Ryan also made under-20 squad and is listed at 6'7 108kg.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jack Dunne looks huge.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

A list of Leinster 2nd rows who have played for Ireland u20:

Conor McInerney(St. Marys/1987) - retired due to injury
Eoin Sheriff(Gorey-Blackrock/1988) - retired due to injury
Mark Flanagan(Mullingar/1989) - Saracens
Ben Marshall(St. Andrews/1990) - retired due to injury
Mick Kearney(Clontarf/1991) - Leinster
Alan O'Connor(Skerries/1992) - Ulster
Tadgh Beirne(Clongowes/1992) - Scarlets
Jerry Sexton(St. Marys/1993) - Jersey
Gavin Thornbury(Blackrock/1993) - Connacht
Ross Molony(St. Michaels/1994) - Leinster
David O'Connor(Blackrock/1995) - AIL
James Ryan(St. Michaels/1996) - Leinster*
Oisin Dowling(St. Michaels/1997) - Leinster Academy
Jack Regan(Birr/1997) - Ulster Academy
Jack Dunne(St. Michaels/1998) - Leinster Sub-Academy/Ireland u20
Cormac Daly(North Kildare/1998) - Leinster Sub-Academy/Ireland u20
Charlie Ryan(Blackrock/1999) - Leinster Sub-Academy/Ireland u20

* = capped by Ireland
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster 2nd row options

Senior Squad
Scott Fardy(33) - 16 leinster caps, 39 australian caps
Devin Toner(31) - 211 leinster caps, 57 irish caps
Ian Nagle(29) - 16 leinster caps
Mick Kearney(26) - 32 leinster caps
Ross Molony(23) - 59 leinster caps
James Ryan(21) - 10 leinster caps, 7 irish caps

Academy
Oisin Dowling(20/Lansdowne) - Academy Year 1, 9 under-20 caps
Cormac Daly(19/Clontarf) - Sub Academy, 3 under-20 caps
Jack Dunne(19/DUFC) - Sub Academy, 4 under-20 caps
Charlie Ryan(19/UCD) - Sub Academy, 3 under-20 caps

Elsewhere
Mark Flanagan(28) - Saracens
Tadgh Beirne(26) - Scarlets
Alan O'Connor(25) - Ulster
Jerry Sexton(25) - Jersey
Gavin Thornbury(24) - Connacht
Jack Regan(20) - Ulster
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

With 5 underage international second rows in the system, some hard choices are likely coming when it comes to academy places.

Cormac Daly(Clontarf/North Kildare) - u20
Jack Dunne(DUFC/St. Michaels) - u20
Charlie Ryan(UCD/Blackrock) - u19
Ryan Baird(St. Michaels) - u18
Cian Prendergast(Newbridge) - u18

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

mildlyinterested wrote:With 5 underage international second rows in the system, some hard choices are likely coming when it comes to academy places.

Cormac Daly(Clontarf/North Kildare) - u20
Jack Dunne(DUFC/St. Michaels) - u20
Charlie Ryan(UCD/Blackrock) - u19
Ryan Baird(St. Michaels) - u18
Cian Prendergast(Newbridge) - u18

Some tough choices to be made. They'll probably take 3 of them into the academy for next season. Oisin Dowling is currently the only one currently in the academy while Mick kearney, Nagle and Molony will probably be replaced in the next 2-3 years. So there will be opportunities for whoever stands out.

So I'm guessing Daly, Dunne and probably Charlie Ryan. Then Baird next year.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I dont see Molony moving on.. a lot invested in him.

Fardy likely doesnt re-sign with Leinster and Kearney/Nagle arent good enough..

Baird got injured recently which may delay him joining the academy but he is probably the best prospect of the players listed.

Dowling's future could be at 6 and he is certainly smaller than at least 4 of those players.

I could see 2 this year, then 2 next season.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'm very confident that Molony will come good for us. He's still only 23. Everyone was writing Toner off until 25/26 as well. It takes most second rows a while to come into their own. Ryan was just a freak.

I'd personally give Kearney the benefit of the doubt. He's had injury problems since coming back East. I'm less convinced about Nagle. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nagle head to Connacht. It feels a good fit.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

mildlyinterested wrote:I dont see Molony moving on.. a lot invested in him.

Fardy likely doesnt re-sign with Leinster and Kearney/Nagle arent good enough..

Baird got injured recently which may delay him joining the academy but he is probably the best prospect of the players listed.

Dowling's future could be at 6 and he is certainly smaller than at least 4 of those players.

I could see 2 this year, then 2 next season.
Just looked it up. Dowling is only 6'4. Surely he can't be considered a second row?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

where'd you see 6'4?

he has been listed at 6'5 since leaving school and it looks about right to me.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

CiaranIrl wrote:I'm very confident that Molony will come good for us. He's still only 23. Everyone was writing Toner off until 25/26 as well. It takes most second rows a while to come into their own. Ryan was just a freak.

I'd personally give Kearney the benefit of the doubt. He's had injury problems since coming back East. I'm less convinced about Nagle. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nagle head to Connacht. It feels a good fit.
both are very average sadly.. leinster should be aiming for higher quality options in those positions.