Summer tour to Australia

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Summer tour to Australia

Post by Dave Cahill »

We already know he has what it takes to be an international, after all, he has played for England.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:We already know he has what it takes to be an international, after all, he has played for England.
yeah but we are better than them :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If I was having a punt, it would be on Shane Delahunt being selected to tour Australia this summer.

O'Halloran should also delay his holiday plans. No certainty, given the reluctance of JS to include him even in the 6N Squad, but certainly put enough evidence on the register today to suggest that he may be worth inclusion for his attacking flair.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Ruckedtobits wrote:If I was having a punt, it would be on Shane Delahunt being selected to tour Australia this summer.

O'Halloran should also delay his holiday plans. No certainty, given the reluctance of JS to include him even in the 6N Squad, but certainly put enough evidence on the register today to suggest that he may be worth inclusion for his attacking flair.
Yeah. He looks good. The only mitigating factor might be that Schmidt only has a certain amount of match time to share out amongst the players and he won't want to spread the experience too thin. If Scannell is seen as a better option long-term or for the World Cup form that isn't great currently might be ignored to a degree.

You thinking Best, Cronin and Delahunt as the three hookers in the squad?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

leinsterforever wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:If I was having a punt, it would be on Shane Delahunt being selected to tour Australia this summer.

Yeah. He looks good. The only mitigating factor might be that Schmidt only has a certain amount of match time to share out amongst the players and he won't want to spread the experience too thin. If Scannell is seen as a better option long-term or for the World Cup form that isn't great currently might be ignored to a degree.

You thinking Best, Cronin and Delahunt as the three hookers in the squad?
+1.
Born Feb 94. Height 6'2". Weight 17 st 7 lb. Pace off the mark and intelligence in possession. Tackles on both shoulders. Pretty good thrower. 11.5 years younger than Rory Best; 7.5 years younger than Sean Cronin; 2 years younger than Niall Scannell. Would definitely add to our scrum, after a few months with Feek. Would definitely add to our ball-carriers after a few months with Easterby. Could seriously add to our line-out if he can maintain / improve his throwing. Worth a try in Australia because there will be no more experiments within Squad after June.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Delahunt had an incredible game. I saw him before and he looked decent but that performance against Leinster was like watching Dane Coles.

With all the young hookers in the country you'd hope for one or two to rise above the possy and Delahunt looks like he could be a genuine contender for Ireland.

Bring himself and Scannell to Aus and give Best the summer off.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

dropkick wrote:Delahunt had an incredible game. I saw him before and he looked decent but that performance against Leinster was like watching Dane Coles.

With all the young hookers in the country you'd hope for one or two to rise above the possy and Delahunt looks like he could be a genuine contender for Ireland.

If Best gets dropped now he might never get back in. It would be very unfair on Cronin if his performances merited inclusion, but omitting him to fit in Delahunt and Scannell might be one option, with an eye on the World Cup. Although Cronin's pace to get across and tackle Brown (was it?) into touch could be valuable down under
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

leinsterforever wrote:
dropkick wrote:Delahunt had an incredible game. I saw him before and he looked decent but that performance against Leinster was like watching Dane Coles.

If Best gets dropped now he might never get back in. It would be very unfair on Cronin if his performances merited inclusion, but omitting him to fit in Delahunt and Scannell might be one option, with an eye on the World Cup. Although Cronin's pace to get across and tackle Brown (was it?) into touch could be valuable down under
Sorry dont really understand what your saying re: Cronin
Do you think his recent performances haven't warranted his inclusion on tour because hes playing badly????

Cronin could lose out because I can't see them leaving Best behind ane they may want to see other hookers but from what ive seen cronin has been rock solid lately
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Has to be Cronin Best plus 1 other. I think scannell is a pretty good player even though he was poor in the semi final. Someone like delahunt or Rhys Marshall(not sure when he's eligible) may be worth looking at as very dynamic players might really add something to the squad.
Don't rate Tracey or herring wouldn't have them in the squad.

Also an argument to bring a different loose head to McGrath, I don't feel hes had a great season and he looks knackered after the lions tour and might benefit from the summer off. Kilcoyne or Buckley might be worth a go, as whoever is third choice loose head could easily have to play 20 minutes in a world cup quarter if we get an injury
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Cold be an option. I'd like Joe to bring a bigger squad and blood a few guys but who knows. Interestingly people are forgetting Dave Heffernan of Connacht who was capped by Joe. Delahunt has pushed past him and McCartney at Connacht so he could be worth a punt. Scannell while a quality player hasn't being playing well the last few games in my opinion.
by Lummix

Also an argument to bring a different loose head to McGrath, I don't feel hes had a great season and he looks knackered after the lions tour and might benefit from the summer off. Kilcoyne or Buckley might be worth a go, as whoever is third choice loose head could easily have to play 20 minutes in a world cup quarter if we get an injury
Agreed I'd not bring McGrath or Sextion either to Oz.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

We need to bring most but not all of our first team if we're to ensure that they do the same in November. They need to sell tickets in June and want meaningful competition, we want to sell tickets in November and want meaningful competition then. We have to bring Sexton, he hasn't had big mileage this season and he definitely wants to play. I would rest Jack McGrath because he looks like he badly needs a rest, especially as it's a post-Lions season. Iain Henderson is probably out injured, and after that I'd probably bring more or less the full deck. Possibly rest Stander who's had huge game time, or Earls, an older guy who's had his injury problems.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

If Sexton is going is it worth giving Best the tour off and trying JS as skipper - just in case Schmidt is concerned Best might be that little bit stretched for the RWC in Japan (he will be 37 in August 2019)?

[Apologies - could also be in the next Captain thread]
Four Stars
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Lar
If Sexton is going is it worth giving Best the tour off and trying JS as skipper - just in case Schmidt is concerned Best might be that little bit stretched for the RWC in Japan (he will be 37 in August 2019)?

[Apologies - could also be in the next Captain thread]
I'd say Best will definitely go just for the media outlook alone. Not bringing your captain down would not be good for optics.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

neiliog93 wrote:We need to bring most but not all of our first team if we're to ensure that they do the same in November. They need to sell tickets in June and want meaningful competition, we want to sell tickets in November
In fairness I'd say Ireland is the easiest touring team for the Australians to sell out stadiums. the ex Pat community is massive there
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

lummix wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:We need to bring most but not all of our first team if we're to ensure that they do the same in November. They need to sell tickets in June and want meaningful competition, we want to sell tickets in November
In fairness I'd say Ireland is the easiest touring team for the Australians to sell out stadiums. the ex Pat community is massive there
I'd say the composition of the Aussie team wouldn't much affect the attendance here either, it's still Australia after all. Half the crowd at the Nov games don't know a lot of the players anyway.
Dont Panic!
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Something like the following squad going to Australia -
Props - Healy, McGrath, Furlong, Porter, Bealham.
Hookers - Best, Cronin, Delahunt.
Locks - Toner, Ryan, Beirne, Dillane.
Back Row - O'Mahony, Stander, Leavy, Conan, Jordi.
Scrum Halves - Murray, Marmion, Cooney.
Out Halves - J10, Carbery.
Centres - Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw.
Back 5 - R Kearney, Earls, Stockdale, Larmour, Conway.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

betty swallocks wrote:Something like the following squad going to Australia -
If we're allowed 30 by World Rugby that group won't be too far away from the Squad.

Personally, from what I 've seen over the past month, I'd love to see Best, Stander and Jack McGrath given free passes and told to get 8 weeks rest before pre-season of the longest 'year' in their careers.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Roux ahead of Dillane is certain I think, based on the Connacht selections and also Schmidt's tendency,, butherwise you're probably on the money. Delahunt vs Scannell is debatable, and Jack McGrath would be lucky to make it in ahead of one of the Munster loose heads.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Roux ahead of Dillane is certain I think, based on the Connacht selections and also Schmidt's tendency,, butherwise you're probably on the money. Delahunt vs Scannell is debatable, and Jack McGrath would be lucky to make it in ahead of one of the Munster loose heads.
Even with Jack out of form / off his food, he's a division above both Cronin and Kilcoyne. One can scrummage but gives away penalties. The other can carry but can't scrum against top tight-heads. Jack is suffering from post-Lions- stress-syndrome. Not the first and won't be the last. It is usually accompanied by injury and the big relief is that he has avoided that. If you had to pick a Munster loose-head to go to Oz, it would be Cronin, but woe betide him if he gives up soft penalties!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Has Jack really been that bad apart from the Ospreys and Treviso games? I think he's usually been good since he got the kick up the arse in November, and in fairness to him I wouldn't blame any grand slam winner for being poor in the Ospreys game. That said, I'm not against any Lion being rested in the summer.