Joe Schmidt post RWC19

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Joe Schmidt post RWC19

Post by backrower8 »

There is a fair chance that Joe will stay in Ireland and not take the ABs role post RWC19 because:

- He and his wife are very settled having been here for many years bar the French connection.
- The medical care his youngest child gets here may suit them better.
- Less pressure being a non-national coach of a national side whose main sport is not rugby than being a native New Zealander coaching the ABs
- Money he is on here unlikely to be bettered by ABs, he could even be on more than Hansen already. €650k is worth NZL$1.1m
- Would his school master style sit as well with the ABs squad as it does the Irish?

Then there is the possibility that he overstays his welcome, meaning players get sick of him...but he is already onto his second squad since he took over, so I don't buy that.

Thoughts?
Lar
Mullet

Re: Joe Schmidt post RWC19

Post by Lar »

Joe constantly pushes his players to improve. I can't see him not wanting to do the same in his own career. It might not be directly after the RWC 2019 but there is a certain logic to moving on then if he does want to go back to NZ. Only other job he might be interested in in the NH post Ireland is the Lions in SA 2021 but I am not sure he would want that. If he did, he might extend his Ireland contract to the summer of 2020, and if not given the Lions job, head back to NZ then.

A lot of variables of course.
Four Stars
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

One of the reasons why I think the IRFU want Kieran Crowley to go to Connacht is that he could be groomed as Joe's successor. He's got international experience with Canada, he's doing really well at Treviso and Conor O'Shea isn't going anywhere soon and even if he did the Irish job would have to be more enticing than the Italian one. If he came here did a season or two at Connacht got to know the place a little better than I could see him being the next Irish coach.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Joe did become an Irish citizen in 2015. Anybody know why?
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

backrower8 wrote:Joe did become an Irish citizen in 2015. Anybody know why?
So he wouldn't have to wait at passport queues?
A proud Winsome Fluter
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Because european passport
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Because yiu can't beat the Irish.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ireland forwards coach Simon Easterby, defence coach Andy Farrell, scrum coach Greg Feek and skills coach Richie Murphy have signed contract extensions that will see them continue with the national team through the Rugby World Cup in Japan.

Simon Easterby joined the Ireland coaching ticket in 2015 having previously held the position of head coach at Llanelli Scarlets. Easterby has extended his IRFU contract to June 2020.

Ireland defence coach Andy Farrell has extended his contract through to June 2020 while Richie Murphy who joined the national coaching group in 2014 from Leinster has also extended his role as national skills and kicking coach to June 2020.

Greg Feek joined the national coaching group on a full-time basis in 2014 having previously worked with Leinster and with the national team on a consultancy basis.

Due to a change in personal circumstances Feek will take up a position with Japanese club side Ricoh in the coming weeks but will continue in his role with the Ireland national team through to the completion of the Rugby World Cup in Japan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

mildlyinterested wrote: Due to a change in personal circumstances Feek will take up a position with Japanese club side Ricoh in the coming weeks but will continue in his role with the Ireland national team through to the completion of the Rugby World Cup in Japan
Interesting - how is this going to work I wonder
Last edited by Xanthippe on June 22nd, 2018, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Xanthippe wrote:Interesting - how is this going to work I wonder
It could be handy to have someone based over there while preparations for RWC 2019 are being made.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Schmidt to make decision on Ireland future by the end of the year http://the42.ie/4085124

I just assumed that the only job likely to keep Joe interested enough in staying would require Michael D's eviction.
Daniel Sullivan
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Or maybe Francis in Rome, then again being Pope would be a stepdown
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I hate saying this, but any longer seems too long. Especially with Plumber in the pipeline.
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:I hate saying this, but any longer seems too long. Especially with Plumber in the pipeline.
Should be worried that it could Plumber and his apprentice, Leo?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The nickname plumber was suggested by max headroom (aka blockhead) of this parish as an alternative to Leocaster.

It is derived by fusing their nicknames. Plug and Bomber. And therefore already contains reference to Leo by default.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lar wrote:Joe constantly pushes his players to improve. I can't see him not wanting to do the same in his own career. It might not be directly after the RWC 2019 but there is a certain logic to moving on then if he does want to go back to NZ. Only other job he might be interested in in the NH post Ireland is the Lions in SA 2021 but I am not sure he would want that. If he did, he might extend his Ireland contract to the summer of 2020, and if not given the Lions job, head back to NZ then.

A lot of variables of course.
Joe is a continuity guy. He still has Feek and Richie Murphy. Turnover of coaches has been minor.

You build where you are, you only move if you have to.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:The nickname plumber was suggested by max headroom (aka blockhead) of this parish as an alternative to Leocaster.

It is derived by fusing their nicknames. Plug and Bomber. And therefore already contains reference to Leo by default.
Yeah but for the Plebs like me I think it should be spelt out with no room for confusion.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

The omens are ominous and it looks like its going to be a sad for Irish rugby supporters.

This from Franno:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 62349.html

A lot of Franno haters on here won't like to admit it but he's right.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

outcast eddie wrote:The omens are ominous and it looks like its going to be a sad for Irish rugby supporters.

This from Franno:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 62349.html

A lot of Franno haters on here won't like to admit it but he's right.
It's a good article but flawed.
JS is a super coach, arguably the best in the world and that part of the article is correct.
However, you have only to look at Leinster for reasons to lift the doom and gloom.
You don't need to have the best but you do need to have a good coach, that is the most important issue.
Leinster almost won a HEC with Williams, won one with Cheika, two with Joe and one with Plumber.
So winning things without Joe is doable, very doable.
Ireland also have the inside track on Joe.
Andy Farrell has very good pedigree and has studied under Joe.
He's his own man and if what we've heard about him is even close to being accurate he has one trait that he shares with Joe that will make him a successful head coach.
He's a stickler and that's what Irish teams need.
No short cuts.
Good Joe in the future, you have earned all the well wishes and more besides.
The amount of joy etc that you have given us is something I personally never thought I'd experience as an Irish fan.
Live long and prosper.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

No surprise's. Joe's going home. BlueAndy to take over after the WC.
Thanks Joe.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!