Summer tour to Australia

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Summer tour to Australia

Post by Logorrhea »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Has Jack really been that bad apart from the Ospreys and Treviso games? I think he's usually been good since he got the kick up the arse in November, and in fairness to him I wouldn't blame any grand slam winner for being poor in the Ospreys game. That said, I'm not against any Lion being rested in the summer.
He just hasnt reached the heights that had him selected with the Lions. Even off form hes rock solid.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Logorrhea wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Has Jack really been that bad apart from the Ospreys and Treviso games? I think he's usually been good since he got the kick up the arse in November, and in fairness to him I wouldn't blame any grand slam winner for being poor in the Ospreys game. That said, I'm not against any Lion being rested in the summer.
He just hasnt reached the heights that had him selected with the Lions. Even off form hes rock solid.
He did not look good against Connacht and Bealham actually had a cut off him on two scrums, successfully. He also got dumped, by Roux I think, on one carry. Leinster players often get a torrid time in Galway and Jack won't look back on that encounter with any happy memories.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I thought he did well when he came on vs both Scarlett and Saracens
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Question: If Hensahw misses the Summer tour who would you have in instead of him? Ringrose and Aki will travel but after that it's a little up in the air. Arnold maybe?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I'd like Arnold to travel. I really like him (although don't think he's at his best right now) and think his versatility makes him a really good option for the WC squad. He strikes me as a player that Joe would really like, he's very physical, and seems to relish big games rather than being fazed by them. It'd probably be between him and Luke Marshall and I'd definitely pick Arnold in that case. Not sure about the size of the squad but I'm guessing Rory Scannell will travel. I think I'd leave him at home though and move others guys into 12 for the last quarter of a couple of the games or something like that.

I wouldn't mind Aki starting every game given that his season won't have been as taxing as some of the other GS winners.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Luke McGrath will surely travel too ahead of Cooney?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

sunshiner1 wrote:Question: If Hensahw misses the Summer tour who would you have in instead of him? Ringrose and Aki will travel but after that it's a little up in the air. Arnold maybe?
Ringrose, Arnold as nominal 13s, and Aki, Scannell as nominal 12s covers the bases well. They can all play inside centre, Aki, Ringrose and Arnold can play outside centre, and Scannell can act as an auxilliary outhalf
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:Luke McGrath will surely travel too ahead of Cooney?
Certainly not on the basis of comparable form since Feb 1st. If JS wants the best Irish Squad for RWC19, and we all assume he does, he has to see J10 and Cooney together at international level. November is a possibility but it's late if Cooney turns out to be the right choice to back-up Murray ahead of McGrath and Marmion.

Saturday last, with a wet ball and a really fast defensive midfield, was the perfect demonstration that the scum-half's passing must be fast and in front, every time. McGrath's pass through the air, remains too slow for me and his accuracy in putting it in front of the runner is not consistent enough. A great footballer, just not a great scrum-half.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Luke McGrath will surely travel too ahead of Cooney?
Certainly not on the basis of comparable form since Feb 1st. If JS wants the best Irish Squad for RWC19, and we all assume he does, he has to see J10 and Cooney together at international level. November is a possibility but it's late if Cooney turns out to be the right choice to back-up Murray ahead of McGrath and Marmion.

Saturday last, with a wet ball and a really fast defensive midfield, was the perfect demonstration that the scum-half's passing must be fast and in front, every time. McGrath's pass through the air, remains too slow for me and his accuracy in putting it in front of the runner is not consistent enough. A great footballer, just not a great scrum-half.
We know Schmidt doesn't place much emphasis on form though, and that he rates McGrath higher based on 6N and AI selection, so I don't think much will have changed there.. McGrath was good against Sarries too, a level Cooney hasn't played this year.

The only reason he doesn't go is to rest after having a few injuries.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by wixfjord

Luke McGrath will surely travel too ahead of Cooney?
I'd bring Cooney just based on McGrath not being 100% fit at the moment. Let him rest up and get ready for next season.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Cooney and Marmion both likely to tour ahead of McGrath.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

betty swallocks wrote:Cooney and Marmion both likely to tour ahead of McGrath.
That's a fine sentence, but other than letting McGrath rest there isn't much evidence for it.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

wixfjord wrote:
That's a fine sentence, but other than letting McGrath rest there isn't much evidence for it.
Perhaps it might not be important for the summer tour, but as you look ahead to a RWC squad of 30, Cooney does give you a option as a 3rd OH for games like Russia etc. He's certainly played there a number of times with good effect for Ulster. Personally I'm a big fan of his, but I think you are correct that McGrath is ahead of Cooney.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

wixfjord wrote:
I guess I meant on recent form. Cooney and Marmion have been in good playing form towards the end of the season. Luke hasn't been playing much.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Saw there was a clamour for Tom Farrell to be picked on one of the message boards last night. As much as I'm a fan I don't think he's international level but who knows.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Perhaps so, I'm a huge fan of Cooney and if he continues on his upward curve he could be our second choice 9 never mind our fourth. But going on what we know at the minute there's nothing to say he'll tour ahead of McGrath barring injury.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

sunshiner1 wrote:Saw there was a clamour for Tom Farrell to be picked on one of the message boards last night. As much as I'm a fan I don't think he's international level but who knows.

I'm a fan of his. Topped or near top of a lot of the pro14 charts this season for things like offloads, linebreaks etc. I don't know if he is the tyoe of player Schmidt likes so I don't see him going.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Farrell looks good and in attack he's superb but defensively I'm not sure he's International level. Will have to see what JS thinks
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

sunshiner1 wrote:Farrell looks good and in attack he's superb but defensively I'm not sure he's International level. Will have to see what JS thinks
I'm a big fan but think he'll end up in the same boat as McCloskey. Sam Arnold is much more of a Joe Schmidt type player, if a centre outside of Henshaw/Ringrose/Aki/Farrell/Scannell is going to make an Ireland squad.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Farrell looks good and in attack he's superb but defensively I'm not sure he's International level. Will have to see what JS thinks
I'm a big fan but think he'll end up in the same boat as McCloskey. Sam Arnold is much more of a Joe Schmidt type player, if a centre outside of Henshaw/Ringrose/Aki/Farrell/Scannell is going to make an Ireland squad.
One of the weaknesses evident in Sammy's game is timing and quality of offloads. Unlike Chris Farrell he hasn't yet learned how to control his excitement at making the line-break / half-break and then playing in a support player, not necessarily the first one, to complete the score. Farrell is so unfortunate to miss this Tour but expect his return, improved in skills, for November in Chicago.