Post by mildlyinterested »

no leavy is very disappointing.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Munster 2018 Pro14 S/F 19th May RDS

Post by Ruckedtobits »

riocard911 wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
Leinster Rugby wrote:...Jordi Murphy moving to the openside from No. 8 in what will also be his last game in the RDS Arena.
...in blue. For now.

Big game for Jack Conan. He always has the measure of Stander imo, and here's hoping he puts in one of his famous (that haven't been seen as of late) Conan shifts.
If Jack picks up where he left off vs Racing, we should be in for a massive rumble between himself and CJ. Bring - it - on!!!
Jack and CJ will rarely come into contact. Jack's competition is O'Donoghue off the side of the scrum where hisheight robs him of acceleration. CJ's contest is with Jordi who absolutely has the acceleration and experience to drop CJ in his tracks.

Important contests but hugely infuenced by how the scrum battle pans out with a Saffer Ref who thinks scrums should be banned.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting line here from Leo. Would indicate Ross is our second choice 10.
“Just a bit of tightness in his calf,” said Cullen of Sexton. “We actually named him on the bench at the start of the week and thought he would be OK.

“He went to run yesterday and thought it wasn’t 100% and we made the call. We’d named Ross [Byrne] at the start of the week, there wasn’t a huge amount of disruption from our part.”
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

mildlyinterested wrote:no leavy is very disappointing.
Tight hamstring according to Murray Kinsella.
Dont Panic!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I'm worried about this game now. The Munster team is strong, hopefully John Ryan isn't fit enough to last much more than a half, Ciaran Parker is their main weak link.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd be worried someone will fail a late breathalyzer test.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

To be honest am a tad disappointed that the OlSC havent arranged a presentation of a white stallion for Isa to gallop around on and charge out of the arena post match.

Now that would be some send off
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

White a four star Sheriff badge of course
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I wonder where Leinster Rugby will be allowing our sponsor hang their large banner supporting the opposition in our home ground.
I have Bumbleflex
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Well that was way more tense that we expected but Leinster have their fourth star!

At the final whistle the main feeling was one of relief amongst the fans and that Leinster had gotten away with it as Remi Tales's attempted drop goal drifted well wide. Racing undoubtedly fought bravely and defended superbly, but they were also cynical as hell at the breakdown and they were allowed to be so by the incompetent team of officials led by Wayne Barnes. It's noteworthy that this was only Barnes's second final and when you remember his only previous one was another pig of a match in the final of 2010 between Toulouse and Biarritz, it makes sense. He is simply an inconsistent and arrogant referee who ruins games with his very presence and his retirement will be a cause for celebration on the beautiful day it arrives.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This should be one-way traffic tomorrow and it'll be a surprise if it is a contest entering the last quarter. By dint of the quality of preparation, physical, mental and emotional, Irish and Leinster teams in 2017-18 have ceased to be vulnerable to hype - of either variety.

Just as with last week's final, I expect Leinster to have a high-tempo Game Plan, with specific moves where they have identified weaknesses in the Munster defensive procedures. Whether they are allowed to, or are capable of, enforcing this Game Plan will be a function of their opponents' strengths and resolve. Last weekend, Racing 92 forced Leinster to play to Racing's strengths. So at half-time Leinster accepted this challenge and J10 drove them to win in this attritional manner.

Munster have given no indication that their team has the capacity to force Leinster to play their way. The day to day familiarity, which is the consequence of prolonged Irish Squad training, will minimise any element of surprise that Munster's intensity might otherwise expect to harvest. Conversely, the excellence in technical skills of presentation, rapid clearouts, and precise selection of targets by ball carriers, will create line-breaks aplenty for the Leinster mid-field to exploit.

The Munster back-three is the only unit to appear equal, or possibly superior, to the Leinster equivalent. But be very sure that the Leinster game plan does not include supplying this threesome with ammunition and it will a real surprise if their own pack can chisel out adequate supplies.

One nagging fear is the risk that either Ryan or Luke McGrath might "meet an accident" early in the game. I share the misgivings of many that referee Berry is a very strange selection for this game and his style of officiating certainly is at variance with the S. African rugby heritage. His compatriot in the Munster 2nd row is no angel and CJ and Marshall are capable of wreaking havoc and hitting hard if the opportunity presents itself.

Personally, I would have rested both Furlong and Ryan tomorrow, but then I don't have access to their GPS data and blood test results. There is however the consolation with such information that no player is about to 'fall over the edge' as a consequence of running on an empty tank as happened in earlier years.

Rarely like making predictions but on foot of the info in the public domaine, Leinster by 17 points with at least three tries.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on May 18th, 2018, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

Anyone know why Rob Kearney isn’t in the Leinster squad?
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Leo quoted in the Indo saying RK and DL both picked up knocks last Sat but would be available for a Pro 14 final should that be the case.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

Ruckedtobits wrote:This should be one-way traffic tomorrow and it'll be a surprise if it is a contest entering the last quarter. By dint of the quality of preparation, physical, mental and emotional, Irish and Leinster teams in 2017-18 have ceased to be vulnerable to hype - of either variety.

Just as with last week's final, I expect Leinster to have a high-tempo Game Plan, with specific moves where they have identified weaknesses in the Munster defensive procedures. Whether they are allowed to, or are capable of, enforcing this Game Plan will be a function of their opponents' strengths and resolve. Last weekend, Racing 92 forced Leinster to play to Racing's strengths. So at half-time Leinster accepted this challenge and J10 drove them to win in this attritional manner.

Munster have given no indication that their team has the capacity to force Leinster to play their way. The day to day familiarity, which is the consequence of prolonged Irish Squad training, will minimise any element of surprise that Munster's intensity might otherwise expect to harvest. Conversely, the excellence in technical skills of presentation, rapid clearouts, and precise selection of targets by ball carriers, will create line-breaks aplenty for the Leinster mid-field to exploit.

The Munster back-three is the only unit to appear equal, or possibly superior, to the Leinster equivalent. But be very sure that the Leinster game plan does not include supplying this threesome with ammunition and it will a real surprise if their own pack can chisel out adequate supplies.

One nagging fear is the risk that either Ryan or Luke McGrath might "meet an accident" early in the game. I share the misgivings of many that referee Berry is a very strange selection for this game and his style of officiating certainly is at variance with the S. African rugby heritage. His compatriot in the Munster 2nd row is no angel and CJ and Marshall are capable of wreaking havoc and hitting hard if the opportunity presents itself.

Personally, I would have rested both Furlong and Ryan tomorrow, but then I don't have access to their GPS data and blood test results. There is however the consolation with such information that no player is about to 'fall over the edge' as a consequence of running on an empty tank as happened in earlier years.

Rarely like making predictions but on foot of the info in the public domaine, Leinster by 17 points with at least three tries.
After reading this I’m not sure why Munster should even play the game. It will be interesting to Joe Schmidt to hear he got his backrow selections wrong too, going with O’Mahoney and Stander. As for Murray/Hanrahan v McGrath/Byrne I’d debate whether you’ve got that match up called correctly but time will tell. By all measures Leinster has a superior squad, on paper, on the field and in depth. I bet a bottle of whiskey on Leinster beating Racing by 20+ and at least three tries last week so I won’t make any prediction this week other than to say it might be closer than you think. I expect Leinster to win but not by that big a margin (hoping I’m wrong!).
I suppose it’s normal to point out potential ‘villains’ in the opposition such as Klein, Marshall and CJ but I’m not sure how you decided they were so inclined. You seem to hint McGrath will be got at by foul means, which is a bit of a stretch considering the games played by each side this season. However, I’m sure the Leinster pack is plenty tough enough to stand up to them, having faced an even bugger and probably tougher pack in the CCFinal.
Last edited by RichardP on May 18th, 2018, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

outcast eddie wrote:Leo quoted in the Indo saying RK and DL both picked up knocks last Sat but would be available for a Pro 14 final should that be the case.
Thanks for that info.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was confident before I read RTB's post but I suspect he's jinxed us beyond belief, so I'm now going to say that we'll lose by 50 points.
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

RichardP wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:Leo quoted in the Indo saying RK and DL both picked up knocks last Sat but would be available for a Pro 14 final should that be the case.
Thanks for that info.
Leavy was limping very badly after the match last week
It wouldn’t surprise me if he was out for nex5 week as well if we win
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I was confident before I read RTB's post but I suspect he's jinxed us beyond belief, so I'm now going to say that we'll lose by 50 points.
And that's just in the first half. The second half will be even worse. Munster by eleventy-million!
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

RichardP wrote: After reading this I’m not sure why Munster should even play the game. It will be interesting to Joe Schmidt to hear he got his backrow selections wrong too, going with O’Mahoney and Stander. As for Murray/Hanrahan v McGrath/Byrne I’d debate whether you’ve got that match up called correctly but time will tell. By all measures Leinster has a superior squad, on paper, on the field and in depth. I bet a bottle of whiskey on Leinster beating Racing by 20+ and at least three tries last week so I won’t make any prediction this week other than to say it might be closer than you think. I expect Leinster to win but not by that big a margin (hoping I’m wrong!).
I suppose it’s normal to point out potential ‘villains’ in the opposition such as Klein, Marshall and CJ but I’m not sure how you decided they were so inclined. You seem to hint McGrath will be got at by foul means, which is a bit of a stretch considering the games played by each side this season. However, I’m sure the Leinster pack is plenty tough enough to stand up to them, having faced an even bugger and probably tougher pack in the CCFinal.
Yes, he's shown a keen ear for the opinions of other people, in particular fans, when it comes to selection :wink: Tbh, I agree with RTB in that I think collectively our backrow is better than yours. Not a slight on POM or CJ, more that I think Murphy is in the form of his life right now. If it were Cloete(fit) or TOD, I think the balance would swing your way but not JOD.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Blue not red blood wrote:To be honest am a tad disappointed that the OlSC havent arranged a presentation of a white stallion for Isa to gallop around on and charge out of the arena post match.

Now that would be some send off
I heard they've arranged the mythical luck dragon Falcor instead of a horse.