Agen Travel

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Have posted a question on the offical site to see if there is any response from the powers that be.
A proud Winsome Fluter
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Tara wrote:
Drico wrote:I'm not sure if you know about this.

Todays Times
The times wrote:“This tournament is at a stage now where we can offer something different,” Derek McGrath, the chief executive of European Rugby Cup Ltd, said. Stade Français have asked permission to move to Parc des Princes for their pool match against Sale, Agen are contemplating playing Leinster in Bordeaux and Cardiff Blues have switched their pool match against Leicester on October 29 to the Millennium Stadium.
Ah for feck's sake. We're flying to Toulouse and staying in Agen. This is potentially disastrous. It's discrimination against the organised. :x I blame harry for that post about getting 5,000 travelling supporters at HEC away games. He's clearly gotten the folks in Agen over-excited. :wink:
I had the same initial reaction, Tara. But did some research, and it's only 85 miles away and there are plenty of TGV's available on Saturday night, if they make the switch.
T - 45
LeopoldButters
Enlightened

Post by LeopoldButters »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Tara wrote:

Todays Times
Ah for feck's sake. We're flying to Toulouse and staying in Agen. This is potentially disastrous. It's discrimination against the organised. :x I blame harry for that post about getting 5,000 travelling supporters at HEC away games. He's clearly gotten the folks in Agen over-excited. :wink:
I had the same initial reaction, Tara. But did some research, and it's only 85 miles away and there are plenty of TGV's available on Saturday night, if they make the switch.
Only 85miles, that will make the game around 200miles away from Carcasonne, theres alot of traveling involved in 200miles!!!!!!!!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Confirmation (of sorts) from the offical site.

"Ed, According to some reports/rumours, Derek McGrath is quoted as saying "Agen are contemplating playing Leinster in Bordeaux". Is there any truth in this and, if so, when will we have any confirmation?

Ed: Yes there is talk of this and we would expect confirmation in the next week or 2"
A proud Winsome Fluter
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Ah for F**ks sake!

This trip is turning into a f**king nightmare.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Between scumbag airlines changing their return date and now these clowns at Agen messing about, I'm beginning to think this trip is not meant to be!
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Tara wrote:

Todays Times
But, but, but, I was really looking forward to staying in my chateau! :cry:
"What is immediately striking is that as soon as an oval ball appears in a group of men there's an extraordinary release of heat." Robert Roy
LeopoldButters
Enlightened

Post by LeopoldButters »

Train crash kills 10 in north-eastern France
11/10/2006 - 12:36:39

At least 10 people were killed today in a train crash in north-eastern France close to the border with Luxembourg.

The regional express train crashed shortly before noon local time.

Nine of those killed were aboard the train, said authorities for the Lorraine region.
I think i'l stick to the car when i head for Agen :shock: :shock:
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Tara wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Tara wrote: Ah for feck's sake. We're flying to Toulouse and staying in Agen. This is potentially disastrous. It's discrimination against the organised. :x I blame harry for that post about getting 5,000 travelling supporters at HEC away games. He's clearly gotten the folks in Agen over-excited. :wink:
But, but, but, I was really looking forward to staying in my chateau! :cry:
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll still be able to get a few bottles of Chateau :?: over the weekend..... :wink: :wink:
T - 45
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

This is unbelievable. I, as are many others, on a 12 noon flight out of Carcassonne on the Sunday. Bordeaux to Carcassonne is 330 kilometres. I might have to cancel the trip altogether, and just lose the 170 euro I've spent on flights.
Sandrine
Graduate

Post by Sandrine »

LeopoldButters wrote:
Train crash kills 10 in north-eastern France
11/10/2006 - 12:36:39

At least 10 people were killed today in a train crash in north-eastern France close to the border with Luxembourg.

The regional express train crashed shortly before noon local time.

Nine of those killed were aboard the train, said authorities for the Lorraine region.
I think i'l stick to the car when i head for Agen :shock: :shock:
Dont worry... Agen is not in the north-eastern France.. Believe me :wink:
French by Birth, Irish by the Grace of Rugby
cud
Mullet

Post by cud »

If you get the TGV, you may well find that it ends up costing more than your flight. Possibly alot more.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

jrc wrote:This is unbelievable. I, as are many others, on a 12 noon flight out of Carcassonne on the Sunday. Bordeaux to Carcassonne is 330 kilometres. I might have to cancel the trip altogether, and just lose the 170 euro I've spent on flights.
unfortunately 330km is only considered a long and unreasonable distance in Ireland - it's about 3 hours by car, probably less by TGV. Hmm, that's an 8am start at latest which is not pretty on a Sunday. Can you do internet checkin for Carcassonne the night before?
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

ribs wrote: Can you do internet checkin for Carcassonne the night before?
You fockers with EU Passports can :cry:

Decided last week to book a flight back to Dublin on BA (from Toulouse) therefore avoiding the need for an early start on the Sunday morning to get back to Carcassonne (I can wait and leave Agen on the Sunday afternoon and TGV it to Toulouse).

If the move does go ahead I'll have all day Sunday to get back to Toulouse :)

The only TGV that will get you to Carcassone in time for the Scumair flight leaves Bordeaux at 5.44am and is just under 3 hours long :(
glorob
Learner

Post by glorob »

ribs wrote:
jrc wrote:This is unbelievable. I, as are many others, on a 12 noon flight out of Carcassonne on the Sunday. Bordeaux to Carcassonne is 330 kilometres. I might have to cancel the trip altogether, and just lose the 170 euro I've spent on flights.
unfortunately 330km is only considered a long and unreasonable distance in Ireland - it's about 3 hours by car, probably less by TGV. Hmm, that's an 8am start at latest which is not pretty on a Sunday. Can you do internet checkin for Carcassonne the night before?
Take a differnt route home. look at easyjet from Bordeaux to Luton and Ryanair on to Dublin. It is fairly cheap, times are good too.

Those that have not booked yet might want to look at Ryanair Shannon Biarritz out Friday back Sunday. Only draw back you will have to be in Shannon at an ungodly hour. Round trip though is under Euro 50. Biarritz is 190km from Bordeaux and you can get a train. Getting from Biarritz Airport to the station will cost the princely sum of about a euro,

The changes in venue etc are frustrating at times but you have to put up with it if you want to support your team. We are all of to Lyon and it looks like we will be playing in Geneva.
cud
Mullet

Post by cud »

I do think that Agen should have confimed the venue before now, but from a personal point of view I would love the game to be in Bordeaux. Bigger city, far more accomodation, easier to get to.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Game is definitely on in Agen, according to the official site.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

jrc wrote:Game is definitely on in Agen, according to the official site.
http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/12_5721.php
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Sheepshagger, was that you who wrote the review of the Toulouse Ibis on tripadvisor.com website? It was a person called Sheep from Dublin.... I took your/their advice anyway, and booked the Hotel Gare Marabiu for the weekend of the Agen game. It's obviously handy for the train (hence the word 'gare' in the name!!) and you say it's close to De Danu aswell, which may prove useful.....