Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by neiliog93 »

I still think JJ could develop into a brilliant 10, has all the raw ingredients, just struggling for consistency and reliability. An extended bit of game time as a starting 10 could be the making of him, still only 25.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

leinsterforever wrote:
ronk wrote:JJ should move to Ulster. He’s stalled again in Munster and they only want him as backup if Tyler retires.
Maybe if Carbery gets parachuted in ahead of him he should. Failing that, it looks as if he's the main man going forward. Bleyendaal is a write-off.
Why should Carbury go ahead of him unless it is on merit, fair play if he is better than JJ but to force Munster to play him as first choice is no way forward either
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

Jackie Brown wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:There's an unjustified victim complex in Ulster re. the IRFU, but this is wrong. They should be allowed sign an NIQ out-half for a year or two as an interim stop-gap while McPhillips and Curtis develop. The former in particular looks a very promising player but there is nobody backing him up in the senior squad.
Unjustified? I think it's fully justified. Munster can have as many South Africans as they want!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Now there’s a lot giving out to a Kettle black!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:I still think JJ could develop into a brilliant 10, has all the raw ingredients, just struggling for consistency and reliability. An extended bit of game time as a starting 10 could be the making of him, still only 25.
JJ has fallen foul of the same problem that Kieth Earls had.
He believed all the hype.
Earls, having realised what the issue was, has addressed it and is now indisputably first choice winger for Ireland and is delivering on his natural talent.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

By all accounts Earls' main problem was that he didn't believe the hype and never believed in himself until recently.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:By all accounts Earls' main problem was that he didn't believe the hype and never believed in himself until recently.
Not quite.
He listened too much (by his own admission) to what other people were telling him (you'll be the next BOD etc) instead of being himself.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I think Hanrahan has natural confidence in his own ability. It's just that his career trajectory hasn't quite worked out with what he probably thought he was capable of. I don't think self-belief would be a problem if he started getting a run of games as first choice and everything started falling into place for him.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Jackie Brown wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:There's an unjustified victim complex in Ulster re. the IRFU, but this is wrong. They should be allowed sign an NIQ out-half for a year or two as an interim stop-gap while McPhillips and Curtis develop. The former in particular looks a very promising player but there is nobody backing him up in the senior squad.
Unjustified? I think it's fully justified. Munster can have as many South Africans as they want!

Over the last decade Ulster have had more high profile NIQs than anyone else with the possible exception of Munster.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Oldschool wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:By all accounts Earls' main problem was that he didn't believe the hype and never believed in himself until recently.
Not quite.
He listened too much (by his own admission) to what other people were telling him (you'll be the next BOD etc) instead of being himself.

Earls' problem was lack of belief. There are 2 main mental things that stop players performing to the best of their ability IMO.

1. Lack of belief. If a player is not confident and sure of yourself then it manifests into a players performances. They're going to be more nervous and when something goes wrong it has a big effect on them.

2. Being over confident. This is when a player believes the hype. The problem this time is they think they're the finished product and don't work as hard as they should. I'd say this is common enough in Irish rugby. Many people need to be pushed to be the best they can be. Leinster are in a good position at the moment because of competition for places where every player has to fight hard to get on the team. Ireland are the same.

Earls' work with mentalist Keith Barry has paid off. Its important for young players to get this kind of training too and I'm sure they are getting it. So in the future we won't have an Earls situation where we had to wait so long for him to reach his potential.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Ah well it looks like Marshall andLudik will miss at least till after Christmas next season if not Easter, ACL and hamstring off bone respectively
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

rooster wrote:Ah well it looks like Marshall andLudik will miss at least till after Christmas next season if not Easter, ACL and hamstring off bone respectively
Ulster were looking okay at 13 and 15 with Marshall, Cave, Nelson, Ludik and Addison but those injuries could leave things pretty tight.

Still, I'd be interested to see what Nelson can show if he gets a good run of games at fullback
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

leinsterforever wrote:
rooster wrote:Ah well it looks like Marshall andLudik will miss at least till after Christmas next season if not Easter, ACL and hamstring off bone respectively
Ulster were looking okay at 13 and 15 with Marshall, Cave, Nelson, Ludik and Addison but those injuries could leave things pretty tight.

Still, I'd be interested to see what Nelson can show if he gets a good run of games at fullback
Addison is injured as well but think he will be ok for start of season
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Our physio GG is the latest cull after patching players up for 18 years
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Are the rumours of pienar returning as a coach true?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/ruan-pie ... gby-161220
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Ulster 2018-2019

Post by artaneboy »

Probably suggested before, but with Steeson seemingly supplanted by young Simmonds at Exeter, would he not make the ideal choice to bridge the 2-3 gap until a home grown hero can replace the lost Jackson?

He has the added advantage of being IQ right away. When’s his contract up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by artaneboy on May 26th, 2018, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

lummix wrote:Are the rumours of pienar returning as a coach true?

Would make sense, his family are still living a d schooling there. The culture there suits his variety of Saffer too.

Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

artaneboy wrote:

Would make sense, his family are still living a d schooling there. The culture there suits his variety of Saffer too.

Let's say he comes back as a coach. Could he also coach McPhilips, for 80mins, on let's say, a Friday evening in a match environment from the position of scrum half?

STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Jackie Brown wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Let's say he comes back as a coach. Could he also coach McPhilips, for 80mins, on let's say, a Friday evening in a match environment from the position of scrum half?

You could try that! :-)

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Jared Payne has been forced to retire from playing but will take up a coaching role with Ulster. Will also be involved with the Ireland tour this Summer.

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/ ... 6489278464
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jarod Payne has retired from playing and will take up a position as Ulster defense coach and will be going on this summer's tour with Ireland to work with the Irish coaching team.
I have Bumbleflex