There's been too much talk about the hard cases.

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: There's been too much talk about the hard cases.

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote:Realistically, no Dublin TD will defy the result of this poll in any meaningful way. That 77% includes 2nd, 3rd etc preference. They'd be toast.
Jack Chambers - and that's without even having to think about it!
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Meh. Those numbers and the whip is out big time.

Thank you yes people for your courage and compassion, thank you yes side for not engaging in endless point scoring debate school psychopathic arguments but rather behaving with compassion and thus exposing the fundamentalist no stance for the horrific stance it was. It's not just a victory for women's and human rights in Ireland. It's a victory for civil discourse internationally.

The good people won. And they won like bosses. And the trolls lost. Lost bad.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Leo varadkar, micheal martin, mary lou macdonald, the irish times, the guardian, U2, amy Huberman, Liam Neeson, Saoirse Ronan, Cian Healy etc etc.

Irish people did what they were told, as usual, just different masters this time.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

tomthefan wrote:Leo varadkar, micheal martin, mary lou macdonald, the irish times, the guardian, U2, amy Huberman, Liam Neeson, Saoirse Ronan, Cian Healy etc etc.

Irish people did what they were told, as usual, just different masters this time.
Themselves? Should've listened to the Orange order?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
paddyor wrote:Realistically, no Dublin TD will defy the result of this poll in any meaningful way. That 77% includes 2nd, 3rd etc preference. They'd be toast.
Jack Chambers - and that's without even having to think about it!
I didn't discount the grandstanders. I've no idea who he is btw.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

tomthefan wrote:Leo varadkar, micheal martin, mary lou macdonald, the irish times, the guardian, U2, amy Huberman, Liam Neeson, Saoirse Ronan, Cian Healy etc etc.

All of the media outlets maintained a fastidious liberal balance stance. This means they gave equal coverage to both sides. They also accepted the framing of the anti-choice side where they renamed foetuses as unborn children. A successful propaganda term. The biggest outcome of that was that fringe/troll/nutbag extremists such as "the Iona Institute" got coverage as if they were an actuaL REAL political movement of people rather than a bunch of cynical money grabbing trolls allied with some mentally ill misogynists/homophobes and huge hunks of US money. They do not speak for us no matter how much they dominate the discourse. They speak for money.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Rather that than do what Rónán Mullen, John McGuirk, Declan Hanley, Cora Sherlock, catholic church et al say
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Huge hunks of money
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:Meh. Those numbers and the whip is out big time.

Thank you yes people for your courage and compassion, thank you yes side for not engaging in endless point scoring debate school psychopathic arguments but rather behaving with compassion and thus exposing the fundamentalist no stance for the horrific stance it was. It's not just a victory for women's and human rights in Ireland. It's a victory for civil discourse internationally.

The good people won. And they won like bosses. And the trolls lost. Lost bad.
It's also a victory for men's rights and children too.
A damaged quality of life for any woman also impacts on her spouse and children too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

I've been in Dublin for the past couple of days and it's been very interesting seeing both the international coverage of the whole thing (although I generally thank social media for that) and the engagement of the general public as a whole in the referendum.

As an Irish woman abroad I've thankfully never been in a position where the abortion issue affects me directly. If it did I not sure what I'd do. I know what I'd like to think my stance would be but that's very easy to say now. The point for me is it is not for anyone else except the two people involved to decide what should happen. I think that men have a responsibility and their views need to be considered as well. It's certainly not for anyone else or The State to decide what I should do in those circumstances.

So well done Ireland. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

A wonderful victory, the country I grew up in is thankfully utterly transformed.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan