James Lowe signs for Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by ronk »

Opta pro14 best player overall and only Leinster player to make the team.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote:Opta pro14 best player overall and only Leinster player to make the team.
Leinster rarely get too many players on that team. You have to play a minimum amount of games (10 or 15 I think) to be even considered.
Our selection policy rules a lot of our players out.
Pro14 is right too.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Opta pro14 best player overall and only Leinster player to make the team.
It reflects the fact that we had a shyte season and didn't even get close to a final never mind winning any silverware.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

amusing article in indo, written by James

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 85337.html
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote:amusing article in indo, written by James

He's great fun is our James.
Signed his article Jlo. I gave him that name. Disregard anything PegLeg says to the contrary.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Beyond the fact he always comes across as both fun and fair-dinkum (they never spelled it on Neighbours in the 1980s), I really liked the whole section on Leinster being so special because of home-grown talent (Munster is on its way to becoming special because of our home-grown talent too, James):

"There is one major thing that I think separates Leinster from everyone else.
Home-grown talent.
The current percentage of the Leinster senior team that come from the region is mind-blowing. I genuinely think there is nowhere in the world that has this. Or if they have I've yet to hear about it or see it.
When I was at the Chiefs in my final year we had two people who went to school in the region. Two."
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Outside of our permitted 4 NIQ players there are exactly 3 not developed in Leinster. Mickey Bent, Sean Cronin and Robbie Henshaw. In a squad of 65 inc academy. I would guess that is hard to beat in any pro rugby team in the world.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:Outside of our permitted 4 NIQ players there are exactly 3 not developed in Leinster. Mickey Bent, Sean Cronin and Robbie Henshaw. In a squad of 65 inc academy. I would guess that is hard to beat in any pro rugby team in the world.
Easy to forget about Ian Nagle.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Indeed. I had the senior squad filtered on HC availabillity
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

johng wrote:Outside of our permitted 4 NIQ players there are exactly 3 not developed in Leinster. Mickey Bent, Sean Cronin and Robbie Henshaw. In a squad of 65 inc academy. I would guess that is hard to beat in any pro rugby team in the world.
Marist is in Athlone, County Westmeath :wink:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I wondered who would be first with that one. :)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:amusing article in indo, written by James

He's great fun is our James.
Signed his article Jlo. I gave him that name. Disregard anything PegLeg says to the contrary.
The record shows...
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Anyone here the interview with Lowe on the Luke Fitz Pod cast? He talks about his heritage and Mums side being from the Islands and Dad being English (or of descent). I presume every option of him getting a English passport has been explored!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Maybe he's waiting until they're blue again?
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

Leftwing Podcast is really worth a listen. Lowe comes across as a very interesting and bright guy, can see why he's fitted in so well. Unfortunately Luke Fitzgerald is the worst interviewer I've ever heard, babbling on uncontrollably, constantly interrupting Lowe's answers, unable to condense his thoughts into a concise question. Despite Luke's awfullness, you get a real sense of Lowe's background and character.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

wwed wrote:Leftwing Podcast is really worth a listen. Lowe comes across as a very interesting and bright guy, can see why he's fitted in so well. Unfortunately Luke Fitzgerald is the worst interviewer I've ever heard, babbling on uncontrollably, constantly interrupting Lowe's answers, unable to condense his thoughts into a concise question. Despite Luke's awfullness, you get a real sense of Lowe's background and character.
Good shout first one I've listened to in a while.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Jlo.
“Everyone wants to play in the big games, everyone wants to play in every game that they are available for selection, but you’ve also got to understand that in my position there’s a lot of depth,” said Lowe after Friday’s 52-3 win against Wasps, in which he scored twice.

“Scott has played 30 or 40 international Test matches. When he comes on he brings is a lot of mongrel. He does his job really well, he’s a leader. He’s 30-odd-years-old, he’s bald but he’s definitely a leader in the team.

“And Jamison really pushes Luke [McGrath] for that number one spot [at scrum-half].

“I understand that I’m more expendable but it’s nice to know that I am not getting picked because of a rule. It’s not that I’m not getting picked because I’m not good enough.

“I know it’s probably the toughest conversation Leo has to have. He’s like ‘Ah, cr@p, this one again,’ but we all take it on the chin and really understand. We’ve got one more year, Jamo will be qualified in 12 months’ time.

“It is what it is – it’s water under the bridge.”

It must be harder than that to accept for a competitive beast like Lowe, but he says he does his best to remember Leinster’s now-retired ex-captain as he works hard for the collective.

“As soon as it stops becoming about yourself… that’s something that Isa [Nacewa] really drove,” said Lowe.

“He was the most selfless person you could ever have thought of. If you were moving house, he was the first one there. You wouldn’t even have to ask and he’d be there!

“Man, it is what it is. Fergus [McFadden] is playing bloody awesome, Jordo [Jordan Larmour] is playing awesome. Dave Kearney, I heard he played bloody well for the As in their win over Munster. You know, we’ve got outside backs to burn and I understand.

“They won a European Cup without me and I was bloody stoked for the day.

“It doesn’t bother me, I had a heck of a day in Bilbao man. They should have given me a camera for that… it was the best day of my life, you know?”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Still just 20 caps for Lowe in his Leinster career, seems like he has played more than that. 16 tries.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

mildlyinterested wrote:Still just 20 caps for Lowe in his Leinster career, seems like he has played more than that. 16 tries.
That is a serious strike rate. Wonder how many tries he's had a hand in too
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Is his hearing today?
Whats the best and worst scenarios?