Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:He is right though, McCafferty is under pressue. RIM are on the verge of going tits-up and the EPRC has basically done a windows restore to 2012
And the clubs have pissed away all the gains they made from the EPRC on wage inflation with no discernable improvement and increasing losses. I'm coming round to the view that we might have overestimated the strength of the PRL. They get circa 9m viewers for a season of the AP, this weekends test matches should at least equal that.
NFL has the right formula for a cap. It's set at a percentage of total league income.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:He is right though, McCafferty is under pressue. RIM are on the verge of going tits-up and the EPRC has basically done a windows restore to 2012
And the clubs have pissed away all the gains they made from the EPRC on wage inflation with no discernable improvement and increasing losses. I'm coming round to the view that we might have overestimated the strength of the PRL. They get circa 9m viewers for a season of the AP, this weekends test matches should at least equal that.
It's all about money.
The PRL want a say in (want to say) how the Lions Tour money should be divvied out.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Saints and Tigers to play in Twickenham in a fundraiser match for Rob Horne after his career ending injury: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44871438

I did hear locally that he was paralysed in his arm but thought it was hearsay. Sad to see a player so seriously injured by something so innocuous. Really hope that the funds raised help him get the right treatment to at least be pain free.
Anyone But New Zealand
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

They picked the wrong model for both the clubs and England. The can't compete with the French on salaries and they can't compete with the Irish teams on academy production. There isn't a big enough market to sustain the salaries being paid and there won't be in the immediate future. With regard to the academy, there is absolutely no incentive for a club to follow this model. London Irish invested heavily in their academy and as soon as lads were doing well in the first team they were poached.

The Premiership are ranting and raving at the RFU with demands, the Heineken Cup and even the Lions. All of those are massively lucrative and profitable organisations, the premiership is a financial basket case. Frankly, it's time someone put them back in their box.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Flash Gordon wrote:With regard to the academy, there is absolutely no incentive for a club to follow this model. London Irish invested heavily in their academy and as soon as lads were doing well in the first team they were poached.
Something the IRFU need to remain conscious of....
Four Stars
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Lar wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:With regard to the academy, there is absolutely no incentive for a club to follow this model. London Irish invested heavily in their academy and as soon as lads were doing well in the first team they were poached.
Absolutely, it's our one clear competitive advantage. It's the foundation upon which all of Leinster and Ireland's success is built and all the more reason why Ulster and Munster need to fix their academies.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

"I guess from the clubs' point of view they have looked at securing their revenues for four years. They are fully informed."

Watch this space
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Lar wrote:
They are, you leave say goodbye to irish caps, say goodbye to monitored minutes, and forget press coverage you'll be out of sight out of mind which means limited opportunities for sponsorships.

Lot to weigh up there that differs an Irish academy product from a London Irish one....
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Not at all happy in Twickenham. Former "Blazers" writing reports and major cuts of staff who supported the grassroots of the game. The RFU 'money machine' has stalled. Read the detail below and then contrast their position with the IRFU Annual Report:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45122734

We may not have everything perfect but strategic planning seems to be steering the right path.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Not at all happy in Twickenham. Former "Blazers" writing reports and major cuts of staff who supported the grassroots of the game. The RFU 'money machine' has stalled. Read the detail below and then contrast their position with the IRFU Annual Report:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45122734

We may not have everything perfect but strategic planning seems to be steering the right path.
Apparently one of the guys in charge of finance/operations didn't allow for the loss of income from the 2015 AIs due to the RWC. That's next level f*ckwittery if true.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I haven't clicked on the link but saw something about that the other day and couldn't believe it. I was talking to a couple of people in the RFU last year and they were talking about how they had so much money from the World Cup that they didn't know what to do with it.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I haven't clicked on the link but saw something about that the other day and couldn't believe it. I was talking to a couple of people in the RFU last year and they were talking about how they had so much money from the World Cup that they didn't know what to do with it.
Anyone know how much money the hosts earn from a RWC?
Does WR get first dibs at money generated and the rest goes to the host union or does the union get a set % and WR gets the rest for example?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

kermischocolate wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I haven't clicked on the link but saw something about that the other day and couldn't believe it. I was talking to a couple of people in the RFU last year and they were talking about how they had so much money from the World Cup that they didn't know what to do with it.
Does WR get first dibs at money generated and the rest goes to the host union or does the union get a set % and WR gets the rest for example?
WR defo gets a set amount from the host.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

paddyor wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
WR defo gets a set amount from the host.
As far as i remember WR get the tournament fee, and host gets gate receipts. But it might have changed post 2015.
BOD is GOD!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

A lesser known story is how they screwed up USA rugby with that disasterous joint venture with Quins RIM. This is the crowd that organized the Wales vs SA and Ire vs Ita games this year. Not exactly popular on the other side of the atlantic. IIRC the yanks needed a bailout from WR to host the 7s RWC. And their TV rights were sold off for a bout 7 years to a platform that's not readily accesible.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

paddyor wrote:A lesser known story is how they screwed up USA rugby with that disasterous joint venture with Quins RIM. This is the crowd that organized the Wales vs SA and Ire vs Ita games this year. Not exactly popular on the other side of the atlantic. IIRC the yanks needed a bailout from WR to host the 7s RWC. And their TV rights were sold off for a bout 7 years to a platform that's not readily accesible.
I'd have thought WR would have provided most of the funding for the 7s world cup- similar to how the Series is funded.
Although TV rights were a disaster altogether.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Danny C is in trouble again. Dear oh dear.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Danny Cipriani allegedly being a knob again. Got himself arrested and charged in St Helier, Jersey for assaulting a police officer no less.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

John23 wrote:Danny Cipriani allegedly being a knob again. Got himself arrested and charged in St Helier, Jersey for assaulting a police officer no less.
Bugger me!!!

He is being held in Custody till Thursday.

From the BBC

''Police said he had been charged with common assault, larceny, assault on police, resisting arrest and being disorderly on licensed premises.

The 30-year-old has been remanded in custody until a hearing on Thursday.

He had been on the island with his club during a pre-season tour.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gl ... e-45201916
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!