Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by hugonaut »

janeymac08 wrote: You need to have faith in your academy system. We're told its the best in the world. :)
It is. Yours is cr*p.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

hugonaut wrote:
janeymac08 wrote: You need to have faith in your academy system. We're told its the best in the world. :)
It is. Yours is cr*p.
That's unfair to cr@p.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Their academy is just different. It produced Botha, Haley, Carbery and Beirne for 2018-2019.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

janeymac08 wrote:
Blueberry wrote: Carbery moving does potentially have huge issues for Leinster next season if we ship a couple of knocks, it impacts on depth and quality cover in our back-line in a couple of slots. I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at this in depth and discussing bigger issues down south which are impacting on us. Ignore it fine but don't try to dismiss some genuine and well founded concerns by making it out as reactionary anti-Munster rubbish. Yes plenty of the comments were tongue in cheek with some flowery language used but if you can't see the serious problems in Munster I'm surprised, they are as clear as day to many of us and from chats I've had with Munster Fans some are expressing serious concerns too.
You need to have faith in your academy system. We're told its the best in the world. :)
You are confusing best with unlimited.
It is the best in the world but that doesn't mean that it has unlimited depth.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

thecomedian wrote:
desperado wrote:Question for the comedian; (and everyone else who thinks if Joey had stayed at Leinster he would have lost his backup slot to Sexton for the RWC) --- Who exactly would he have lost it to?
Probably Byrne at the moment.
Your back up 10 would have to be playing 10 regularly.
I know he was injured and away with the Irish camp this season but when he was back he wasn’t given a run of games at 10.
When he played 15 there were others who could have played 15 instead.

I rate him more than Byrne. Byrne is a good kicker out of hand, though his place kicking was poor at times this season and he plays to deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But do you not think; that if Joey had called their bluff, dug his heels in and stayed that the above wouldn't have been addressed (internally or by external "promptings" in 2019). Ross covers OH only, Joey at least 15, and 10. So to rephrase the question: if you make the assumption that 22 needs to be flexible then who better than Joey. It appears from the evidence available, he was approached about one specific gap (Ulster); the discussions unsettled him; the vultures descended from elsewhere and he became conflicted. 2015 keeps getting quoted (elsewhere) as a reason for Ireland needing 2 OHs, both starting for their clubs. It's the ideal scenario, but not necessary, and I cannot see how he would not have made the plane to Japan if had stayed. 2015 Madigan came on v France late in the first half when Sexton was injured; if I recall correctly the talisman in the pack (Paulie) came off before that. Mads had no issue taking us through to the QF. The QF loss was not down to Madigan having ltd OH time - it was due to Argentina analysing our defensive system and killing us out wide early with 2 tries. To be honest the whole episode makes me a little sick. I'd love to see Joey back in blue again but I really can't see it. As I said already I think he should have bidded his time; and he'll still end up with the same RWC participation in the future - squad 2019, possible starter 2023 (honestly can't see Sexto doing a Tom Brady), starter 2023/27. There's something admirable IMO, to be said for being a one club man; but I do understand it's professional sport and players need to look out for their interests, in the short and long term.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Maybe Schmidt argued that a good season as first choice outhalf might give Joey a chance to compete with (and potentially overtake) Sexton for the 10 shirt in the RWC.
Whereas if he stays in Leinster, the best he could get (barring injury) would be the 22 jersey. :?
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

blockhead wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Are we not being bit hypocritical here, lads? Leinster poached Henshaw from Connacht, and are now supposedly looking for the "quick-fix" that is bringing in Joe Tomane as back-up 12 rather than having a go at developing COB, Frawley or O'Loughlin
1. Henshaw is a Leinster boy, who happened to play for Connacht for a bit. There are 10+ Leinster guy's in Connacht atm.
2. Tomane, or someone else, is just using up our NIQ slots. A limited quota compared to our rivals in Europe.

We'll be hypocritical when half our squad is from outside our province, and when there are more Munster men than Dubs togging out in blue jerseys with 4 stars on their chest.
What??? surely Leinster men. As a Westmeath man, domiciled in Kildare; making a 2hr trip every home game I take umbrage. 12 county army and all that. I do believe all counties are rep'd (between playing and coaching staff), the majority being from Dublin is a given based on population.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

janeymac08 wrote:
Blueberry wrote: Carbery moving does potentially have huge issues for Leinster next season if we ship a couple of knocks, it impacts on depth and quality cover in our back-line in a couple of slots. I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at this in depth and discussing bigger issues down south which are impacting on us. Ignore it fine but don't try to dismiss some genuine and well founded concerns by making it out as reactionary anti-Munster rubbish. Yes plenty of the comments were tongue in cheek with some flowery language used but if you can't see the serious problems in Munster I'm surprised, they are as clear as day to many of us and from chats I've had with Munster Fans some are expressing serious concerns too.
You need to have faith in your academy system. We're told its the best in the world. :)
What or who shifted the rock you've been under for the last year?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Not much rugby to wind us up over.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ronk wrote:Not much rugby to wind us up over.
I do so admire the delusional braggadocio of the Munster fans on here, they should really have the grace and sense to wind their necks in, 7 years without a major trophy must suck a big hairy fat one.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Does anyone think the below would have been said (with quotes from only Munster players) if Carbery had decided to stay.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/060 ... k-so-much/

There are 2 things here:
They are setting a narrative to explain that hes already improved just from having moved

This is one a series of articles where Munster players have started to treat an Irish player differently when he changed province. In Ireland camp there is just one team and there should be no cliques.

I haven't noticed players from other provinces playing politics in the same way.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Saved by Munster.....that is the narrative !!

Thank goodness we have em !!
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Blueberry wrote:Saved by Munster.....that is the narrative !!

Thank goodness we have em !!
The favourite team of Stuart Barnes.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

desperado wrote:
blockhead wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Are we not being bit hypocritical here, lads? Leinster poached Henshaw from Connacht, and are now supposedly looking for the "quick-fix" that is bringing in Joe Tomane as back-up 12 rather than having a go at developing COB, Frawley or O'Loughlin
1. Henshaw is a Leinster boy, who happened to play for Connacht for a bit. There are 10+ Leinster guy's in Connacht atm.
2. Tomane, or someone else, is just using up our NIQ slots. A limited quota compared to our rivals in Europe.

We'll be hypocritical when half our squad is from outside our province, and when there are more Munster men than Dubs togging out in blue jerseys with 4 stars on their chest.
What??? surely Leinster men. As a Westmeath man, domiciled in Kildare; making a 2hr trip every home game I take umbrage. 12 county army and all that. I do believe all counties are rep'd (between playing and coaching staff), the majority being from Dublin is a given based on population.
Sorry Desperado,
I was alluding to fact that there are, atm, as many Leinster men as Limerick men in the Munster squad. Hence the Munster men/Dubs ratio comparison, if ye get me. ??
BTW, does Longford have a representation?
Some of my best friends are from outside the Pale.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Something that hasn't really been commented on is the fact that Joey has a big match temperment.
We'll this in evidence against Oz tomorrow.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

lol, here's hoping that Joey C doesn't start declaring his retirement through a sniffling flood of tears on national television during a world cup campaign in NZ in 2011 in an effort influence the selection for the next match and promptly sh!t the bed v Wales in the Qfinal...
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

That's slander, Carbery can tackle.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Fair enough BB ( or Max Headroom) on your reply... I get ya now. Actually; on Longford I don't know of any past or present. Based on today they''re having difficulty with their most popular code (but then again isn't every other county in Leinster v the Dubs!)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Outhalf
Jonathan Sexton(33) - is coming off an incredible season, cementing himself as the best 10 ever in Irish rugby. He played 12 times for Leinster last season, with 11 starts for 714 minutes. Don't expect him to exceed those numbers this season with the World Cup on the horizon.
Ross Byrne(23) - cemented himself as Seton's primary backup last season, when he played 26 times for Leinster, with 19 starts for 1560 minutes. Leinster will be relying heavily upon him again this upcoming season, given Carbery's transfer south and the inexperience of options in the academy.

Ciaran Frawley(20) - settled back into outhalf position last season after playing 12 as a under-20. Will be called upon in Pro 14 this season and potentially in europe if injury strikes. Made leinster debut last season, amassing 3 appearances, with 1 start.
Harry Byrne(19) - joining the academy after a good irish under-20 campaign last season, eligible again this season but will likely be required by Leinster during 6 nations.

Scrumhalf
Jamie Gibson Park(26) - coming off a strong finish to last season, Park made 22 appearances last season for Leinster with 12 starts for 925 minutes.
Luke McGrath(25) - injury distributed the end of his season, but still a key player for leinster, McGrath made 20 appearances last season with 17 starts for 1219 minutes.
Nick McCarthy(23) - made 21 appearances last season, but only 3 starts for 462 minutes, big season ahead for the former ireland under-20 captain.

Hugh O'Sullivan(20) - entering his second season in the academy, will hope to continue to improve as he gains more experience at the position for Clontarf.
Paddy Patterson(19-20) - joining the academy after 1 sub appearance for ireland under-20, will be hoping to stay injury free and show potential for UCD.