Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by hugonaut »

janeymac08 wrote:
PS - the only mistake Munster have made is actually trying to repay a loan with interest from the IRFU, while the IRFU gives out free loans to the FAI for the Aviva stadium. The Commercial Board have obviously told the IRFU to p1$$ off. There is no advantage to Munster Rugby in owning its own Stadium outright. Let the IRFU carry the risk as well as the benefits.
The only mistake Munster have made is not winning trophies, producing sufficient quantities of international calibre players or making any money.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:
PS - the only mistake Munster have made is actually trying to repay a loan with interest from the IRFU, while the IRFU gives out free loans to the FAI for the Aviva stadium. The Commercial Board have obviously told the IRFU to p1$$ off. There is no advantage to Munster Rugby in owning its own Stadium outright. Let the IRFU carry the risk as well as the benefits.
The only mistake Munster have made is not winning trophies, producing sufficient quantities of international calibre players or making any money.
Unrivalled pashun though!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

janeymac08 wrote: No, it was some ambassadorial role for filling stations which DOB has since flogged.
Sponsorship? Like Independent park?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:
Wow, the above tells you everything about what's wrong with Munster rugby. Absolutely toxic attitude which is not that uncommon for fans.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Janeymac - This is the "Munster 2017 -2018" thread not the "Leinster are worser" thread.

Ye're grasping at straws to generate a mickey measuring contest - (always a bad thing to grasp at during a micky measuring contest!)
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
janeymac08 wrote: You better really worry then - Niall FitzGerald is Chairman of the Smurfit Business School as well as Munster Rugby.
The Smurfit Business School is not a paragon of not hiring duffers.
Niall Fitzgerald (the man who brought you Persil Power one of the biggest fock ups in Unilever history) has very little to do with the day to day running of Munster Rugby and has very little to do with the day to day running of Smurfits which is, by the way, one of the very average business schools globally. When I worked for a rival we made a lot of hay when he was running Unilever. Niall's background is in finance not in marketing and commercial by the way. As for the others Irish Indo, RTE.....Jesus would you want those brands as your benchmark?

Regardless, the reality of these boards (and we have a similar one at Leinster) is that they are sounding boards and offer advice, they do not run the Branch. I've spoken to a number of people on these Boards and their involvement is low and often frustrating.

There are only 2 measures of success, turnover and profit and unfortunately they are demonstrating failure. You can argue till the cows come home but that's all that matters. They need to get more commercial, use the TP asset better & get more value out of it - e.g. naming rights), fix the academy so they don't have to fund imports and the fans need to turn up.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Cost control is a measure if turnover is.

Crazy idea for increasing turnover: Publish ticket prices and sell season tickets on the website.

The lost home game due to conferences is coming from Thomond.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

olaf the fat wrote:Janeymac - This is the "Munster 2017 -2018" thread not the "Leinster are worser" thread.

Ye're grasping at straws to generate a mickey measuring contest - (always a bad thing to grasp at during a micky measuring contest!)
Not much point saying Munster's commercial performance is poor without comparing it someone (though personally don't think that Leinster isn't comparable since it didn't have to investment in a stadium development, whereas both Munster & Ulster do have to do that).

Its impossible to compare the commercial performance of Leinster v Munster without any details of Leinster's financial dealings. If Leinster is to be compared to anyone, it should be to the Dubs (where I think Leinster would come out a very poor second).

I didn't start the micky measuring contest by the way. :D
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

janeymac08 wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:Janeymac - This is the "Munster 2017 -2018" thread not the "Leinster are worser" thread.

Not much point saying Munster's commercial performance is poor without comparing it someone (though personally don't think that Leinster isn't comparable since it didn't have to investment in a stadium development, whereas both Munster & Ulster do have to do that).

Its impossible to compare the commercial performance of Leinster v Munster without any details of Leinster's financial dealings. If Leinster is to be compared to anyone, it should be to the Dubs (where I think Leinster would come out a very poor second).

Leinster pay their players, you do realise that.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

No, David Shubotham who paid for the Leinster training centre and who was named in the Moriarty and Mahon Tribunals.
No trophies either, Munster that is. Leinster need a new building to house all of ours. We might need another donation from David.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

the spoofer wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:

Leinster pay their players, you do realise that.
They don't pay McGrath, Healy, Furlong, Toner, SOB, Sexton, Henshaw or Kearney. Thanks to DOB, Sexton gets his 500K per year from the IRFU topped up to 800K for some ambassadorial role for a company that DOB does not own anymore :D - and some here slag Munster for having the begging bowl out. DOB - really (and then some try and slag off DOB's right hand man for his role in Independent Newspaper, forgetting it was AJO'R whose baby that one was)!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

janeymac08 wrote: Not much point saying Munster's commercial performance is poor without comparing it someone (though personally don't think that Leinster isn't comparable since it didn't have to investment in a stadium development, whereas both Munster & Ulster do have to do that).

No financial performance is a matter of assets - liabilities. Stdaium is usually just an asset or in the case of Munster a liability.Are you suggesting that many of the French clubs which don't own their own stadium aren't comparable. Dublin GAA are an amatuer organisation in a different sport.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leinster can make a quiet surplus for as long as they want. Munster finances became a hot topic of conversation after they needed a bailout.

The drain on resources cost the other provinces, Irish team and investment in growing the game. When it fully stops, it won’t be as much of a conversation.

If Munster fix their academy/development pathway we can go back to being rivals on the pitch rather than off the pitch.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

What I've always admired about Kerry people
is that they don't gloat or brag when they win.
Whenever dublin win anything it's non-stop for
some reason
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

tomthefan wrote:What I've always admired about Kerry people
some reason
Yep those Healy-Ray's are a quiet refined bunch :mullet 4:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

some reason
You think this about 4 stars?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

some reason
Kerry people whine and moan when they're losing though.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

some reason
At first I thought that you must not have met a kerry person to think they are not braggarts.

Then I thought that you must be from Cork, compared to Cork people a donkey on heat cannot truly be said to bray.

But this isn't about Leinster's current success (after a tough few years) but about how Munster is leaching off the rest of Ireland.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

some reason
Fortunately my wife is from Leinster, unfortunately half of her extended family are from Kerry. Those sentiments are not what I'd attach to Kerry people. They brag all the time, although they have not had the opportunity in GAA for quite a while.

I'd suggest to you that in the case of Dublin, you just feel it more because it hurts so much more.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Your post blueblue and the juxtaposition with your signature made me smile.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never