Summer tour to Australia

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Summer tour to Australia

Post by Twist »

Fan with smartphone wrote:
Twist wrote:Shocking refereeing, and that's being kind. Hope Joe makes a big deal of it

Three more tries conceded though. I never have confidence in our defence in the last 10m. We're so porous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robson: Joe were you frustrated not to score more?

Joe: ahh, well, I think maybe their penalty count was double ours and our yellow card count was double theirs.

Joe is very polite in publicly giving out, that’s about as stern a rebuke as you are likely to get out of him.
Yeah that was a good line

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

neiliog93 wrote:Really cool heads and strong defence at the end. Very good performance, again the main worry is that we're not clinical enough with all the ball and territory we have, and a little vulnerable defensively against offensively potent teams like Oz or the ABs, even when they have little territory or possession.
We would probably score a few more if constant goal-line infringing was carded properly, but yes not finishing off some of the line breaks is frustrating - but fixable!
The refereeing has been really poor.
Dont Panic!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

If its any consolation Oz were robbed by a dodgy penalty call in the football...
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

No, i was supporting the socceroos! To be fair, I thought we could’ve been pinged for not rolling early on. But overall I don’t think Australia will be complaining about the refereeing. A not dissimilar pattern in the New Zealand - France game too. I like Gardner and couldn’t argue with the red, but the proportion of penalties that New Zealand happen to give away in the red zone compared to other areas. And also infringements after a penalty has already been awarded (not so much today). I realise that’s smart play, but it maybe should be refereed a bit smarter.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I find the non-accumulation of repeated infringements after already conceding one quite frustrating. Giving up a penalty can sometimes be used as a licence to do more...
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Great to get a win down in Australia. It hadn't happened in my lifetime and while I thought we could get it done this time around, to actually go out and get the job done against a good Australian team was a super achievement. Well done the lads.

Super performances from Furlong, O'Mahony and Sexton in particular, but there was a lot of good showings out there. Niall Scannell took his chance well, Ringrose reinforced why he should be an automatic selection at No13 and Robert Kearney was the next thing to flawless.

I have to say that I think Conor Murray is running out of gas and we're doing nothing to help him out. So much has been made about having a back-up to J10 [moving Joey Carberry around, dropping Sexton for the first test] but we are nowhere with regards to either a] relieving Murray of some of the load he carries or b] having somebody to step in for him if he takes a bang.

12 points up with 14 minutes left to play is a pretty ideal situation to expose a player to a big-time game. Its was a super win, but I'd be happier if Cooney got some minutes.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

hugonaut wrote:Great to get a win down in Australia. It hadn't happened in my lifetime and while I thought we could get it done this time around, to actually go out and get the job done against a good Australian team was a super achievement. Well done the lads.

Super performances from Furlong, O'Mahony and Sexton in particular, but there was a lot of good showings out there. Niall Scannell took his chance well, Ringrose reinforced why he should be an automatic selection at No13 and Robert Kearney was the next thing to flawless.

I have to say that I think Conor Murray is running out of gas and we're doing nothing to help him out. So much has been made about having a back-up to J10 [moving Joey Carberry around, dropping Sexton for the first test] but we are nowhere with regards to either a] relieving Murray of some of the load he carries or b] having somebody to step in for him if he takes a bang.

12 points up with 14 minutes left to play is a pretty ideal situation to expose a player to a big-time game. Its was a super win, but I'd be happier if Cooney got some minutes.
+1
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
hugonaut wrote:Great to get a win down in Australia. It hadn't happened in my lifetime and while I thought we could get it done this time around, to actually go out and get the job done against a good Australian team was a super achievement. Well done the lads.

+1
1+1
The only thing to be added is that it's a long time since we've won a series in the SH.
Joe mucked it up in SA IMHO (he went for 3-0 instead of using the altitude test for experimentation) and having lost the first test wasn't taking any chances this time round.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

And another + 1 to all of that!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

We have had 4 tried disallowed in 2 games. Only McGrath’s double-movement was clearcut. Just saying.

Team for next week:

Healy Cronin Furlong
Henderson Ryan
POM Conan Leavy
Murray J10
Stockdale Henshaw Ringer Earls
Kearney

Herring Jack Porter Beirne Jordi Cooney Byrne Larmour

Maybe we should start others at 9 & 15 just to go full bore at the developmental thang.

Win or lose next week, it has already been a brilliant series for developing this squad. Well done Joe and well done the Aussies. Hopefully it gives the sport a shot in the arm down under.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

If Healy ends up missing out, would Porter switch to LH?

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Scannell was subbed after 8 minutes in the 2nd half having

Messed up a clearout on Pocock 5 m from the try line(it was mostly Kearney)
Giving away a peno for maul entry
Throwing an offload to an Aussie

All in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

paddyor wrote:

Good counterpoint. I thought he did well in the first half, but I remember the wayward offload and the peno alright.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

paddyor wrote:

He adds plenty of power around the pitch and is a step up on Herring and Cronin in that regard. He has to iron out the mistakes but a run of games will help him do that.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

dropkick wrote:
paddyor wrote:

He adds plenty of power around the pitch and is a step up on Herring and Cronin in that regard. He has to iron out the mistakes but a run of games will help him do that.
There are at least 15 players for whom ‘a run of games’would be the answer, but it doesn’t work like that does it?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

backrower8 wrote:
dropkick wrote:
paddyor wrote: Scannell was subbed after 8 minutes in the 2nd half having

There are at least 15 players for whom ‘a run of games’would be the answer, but it doesn’t work like that does it?

Every player needs a run of games to hit their peak.
Scannell hasn't had a run of games this year. His season has been blighted by niggly injuries.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Next week is our best approximation for a RWC quarter final that we’ll get. Let’s see what they can come back with.

We should only rotate if we’re planning on rotating for the RWC crunch games.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:Next week is our best approximation for a RWC quarter final that we’ll get. Let’s see what they can come back with.

We should only rotate if we’re planning on rotating for the RWC crunch games.
What???

Seriously- we should just do whatever is required to win the series. Having got this far, the win is now paramount- above any other goal.

The first two games offered all the chances necessary for experimentation. If you can test points and prove systems in winning- well be our guest. But win first!

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

dropkick wrote:
paddyor wrote: Scannell was subbed after 8 minutes in the 2nd half having

Don't agree. I see him and Herring as neck and neck at this point with Herring edging it for his lineout. Scannell was good up until the 2nd half when he was yanked.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

I thought ringrose was brilliant. Nothing flash but it was like he’d watched nothing but bod post 2009 videos all week. Animal in defense.
Pom was also excellent.
Sexton did well not to get creamed. Added lovely variety.
Looking forward to next week.