Anguished English Media is Comedy Gold

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Anguished English Media is Comedy Gold

Post by backrower8 »

Listening to the English rugby podcasts (The Ruck from The Times and 'lovely' Stephen Jones/ Full Contact by The Telegraph with Brian Moore/ BBCs Rugby Podcast with Ugo Monye & Chris Jones) these past few months has been pure comedy gold.

They have been respectful to Irish rugby, Ireland and Leinster but you can hear most of them grinding their teeth as they say it. Stephen Jones was back to sneering after the 1st Test defeat.

They grind even more when talking about England under Eddie Jones. During the 6 Nations and before the S.African tour they were obviously frustrated but a tad fearful of upsetting King Eddie. Now they are in full 'panic' mode!
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: Anguished English Media is Comedy Gold

Post by TrapperChamonix »

I find Eggchasers a more informed and thoughtful podcast. Interestingly they were predicting Englands #2018Downfall since the autumn internationals last year.
Ugo Monye and Chris Jones is pure bland muck
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

TrapperChamonix wrote:I find Eggchasers a more informed and thoughtful podcast. Interestingly they were predicting Englands #2018Downfall since the autumn internationals last year.
Ugo Monye and Chris Jones is pure bland muck
Thanks for the Tip
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Egg chasers don't even watch rugby. They are worse bullshitters than bluestalk.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

TrapperChamonix wrote:I find Eggchasers a more informed and thoughtful podcast. Interestingly they were predicting Englands #2018Downfall since the autumn internationals last year.
Tried them around the 6 nations. They knew alot about England, were confidently predicting our downfall throughout the tournament, but based that on very little current knowledge of the provinces. They clearly hadnt watched anythign apart from the HEC and internationsla. Nice guys but all felt a little limited to me.

Then again I like Monye and Jones :)
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

johng wrote:Egg chasers don't even watch rugby. They are worse bullshitters than bluestalk.
I actually find them good and very entertaining, they're quite consistent in that they're not huge Pro14 fans and dont rate the league but i'd take them ahead of many others.

Here's my rankings:

I enjoy:
The Molecast
The Hard Yards - really surprised at how good this one is.
Eggchasers

I endure:
The left wing - great guests, Luke needs to take a breath every now and again and let others speak
The Rugby Dungeon

If i'm stuck i'll listen to:
Rugby on Off the ball - but need to carefully filter out certain presenters and pundits
Second Captains - but only the rugby, not into the constant twitter references & simpsons quotes
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Harsh on Moyne and Jones, yes it's English and Prem centric but it's balanced enough and they come accross well rather than forced #bants
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

bamboozle wrote:
johng wrote:Egg chasers don't even watch rugby. They are worse bullshitters than bluestalk.
I actually find them good and very entertaining, they're quite consistent in that they're not huge Pro14 fans and dont rate the league but i'd take them ahead of many others.

Here's my rankings:

I enjoy:
The Molecast
The Hard Yards - really surprised at how good this one is.
Eggchasers

I endure:
The left wing - great guests, Luke needs to take a breath every now and again and let others speak
The Rugby Dungeon

If i'm stuck i'll listen to:
Rugby on Off the ball - but need to carefully filter out certain presenters and pundits
Second Captains - but only the rugby, not into the constant twitter references & simpsons quotes
JohnG may not like them, but its nonsense to say they don't watch rugby. For one on them its his job. They are definitely AP centric but they at least watch some pro 14 (one guy's family is from Ulster and he proports to be a fan). They definitely harp on about Pro14 resting players and AP plays all its superstars, but I cant think of 1 English commentator who doesnt have the same opinion.

In a wider sense I liked the 1014. Its based out of NZ with a Kiwi and a guy from Limerick. Its more a Youtube podcast and they try to do a bit of Murray Kinsella. But they haven't posted anything for months now and I think they may be gone to NZ TV. Certainly a lot better than Green and Gold which I've been listening to during the Ireland tour of Aus.

I'd agree with your list of others (especially James Downey on Hard Yards) but I can no longer listen to Luuuke. He seems to get great guests on and as you say talks over them and keeps telling us how great he was.

My guilty pleasure is The Rugby Pod with Jim Hamilton and Andy Goode. They really are prats and its all about the #BANTS. That and so many other things mean you should'nt like them, but I keep deleting their podcast and then reinstating it. I think its like reading The Sun at the dentists. I know its bullshit and it has undefended opinions but you cant help picking it up.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

backrower8 wrote:Listening to the English rugby podcasts (The Ruck from The Times and 'lovely' Stephen Jones/ Full Contact by The Telegraph with Brian Moore/ BBCs Rugby Podcast with Ugo Monye & Chris Jones) these past few months has been pure comedy gold.

They have been respectful to Irish rugby, Ireland and Leinster but you can hear most of them grinding their teeth as they say it. Stephen Jones was back to sneering after the 1st Test defeat.

They grind even more when talking about England under Eddie Jones. During the 6 Nations and before the S.African tour they were obviously frustrated but a tad fearful of upsetting King Eddie. Now they are in full 'panic' mode!
It's said that "Practice makes perfect".
In the context of this thread , Stephen Jones and Ian Robertson are peerless in their critical appreciation of Irish Rugby. :roll:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

No love for Three Red Kings up in here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

Schadenfreude doesn't get much schadenfreudier than seeing England lose repeatedly while led by Eddie Jones.

But if they lose a couple more, am I the only one who's really worried about a scenario where the RFU fire Eddie Jones and then poach Andy Farrell from us to replace him?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

bonzo wrote:Schadenfreude doesn't get much schadenfreudier than seeing England lose repeatedly while led by Eddie Jones.

But if they lose a couple more, am I the only one who's really worried about a scenario where the RFU fire Eddie Jones and then poach Andy Farrell from us to replace him?
Can't see them doing that. Baxter or Richards are probably being lined up as Jones' successor.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

jimbobjoe wrote:
bonzo wrote:Schadenfreude doesn't get much schadenfreudier than seeing England lose repeatedly while led by Eddie Jones.

Can't see them doing that. Baxter or Richards are probably being lined up as Jones' successor.
Or they could try and poach one of the Welsh candidates. I suspect at least two of them would love the challenge .....and I don't mean Pivac.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It was being talked about before the 6 nations that Eddie Jones is a 2 year coach. His previous teams performed very well for 2 years and in the third year their form falls off a cliff.

It must be something to do with the energy he brings. It's like he can give a team an artificial high but when that wears off there is a hell of a trough.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

In what was otherwise a very sensible and grounded interview, Stephen Larkham on OTB gave a stoic defence of Eddie Jones saying that he would not worry about the recent results for England as Eddie is a great long term planner and there is great value in having a sticky patch this far out from the RWC. He said there is no point hitting the skids during the RWC and not knowing how to deal with it - better that it happens now and seemed to suggest that Eddie might even be deliberate in overseeing this barren run!

Hard to see anything other than blind loyalty in that.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Rival coach thinks England should stick with coach who has lost dressing room...
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

ronk wrote:Rival coach thinks England should stick with coach who has lost dressing room...
Maybe if he was talking to the BBC/Telegraph/The (Sunday) Times. Not so much OTB
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

He's in a minority. Most Sh commentary on him I've seen say that after initial success he runs teams into the ground in training before the wheels come off. It also runs counter to history.
Under Jones, Australia won the 2001 Tri Nations. Australia entered their home World Cup in 2003 as third favourites behind New Zealand and England. They managed to upset the All Blacks in the semi final before losing to England in the final in extra time through a last minute drop goal.......

In 2005, the Wallabies suffered a spate of injuries, losing seven games straight. At the end of their European tour they lost eight of the last nine matches, with the scrum in particular struggling. After a 22-24 loss to Wales at the Millennium Stadium, on 2 December 2005 his contract was terminated as the Wallabies head coach
Apparently they'd a decent first season with the reds.
Just over a month after Jones was relieved of his position as Wallabies head coach, he signed a three-year deal with the Queensland Reds to take over as head coach after the 2006 Super 14 season. In February 2006 he joined Saracens in a consultancy role until the end of the season to help them after they were struggling near the bottom of the league.[9]

Jones endured a torrid season at the Reds in 2007, who finished bottom of the Super 14 table, only managing two wins the entire season
Apparently the Japanese players were happy to see the back of him.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Just heard that 2 of the lads from egg chasers have a love island podcast.

Why am I not surprised?
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Have to say I'm enjoying Big Jim and Fatty Goode's pod.