Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by paddyor »

FLIP wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: Right, so I felt a bit dirty not being able to give a source or write FACT to my comment, so continued the research.
Take a look at this extremely informative piece from Reuters Graphics.
Reuters Graphics
I think the video footage at the end shows why a sub could have been considered a useful device.
The very section that talks about the narrowness of the cave also shows divers using tools to expand the width of the cave. If required the same thing could have been done to permit the use of the device. There's also very few measurements of height, merely width. If it was needed, they could have made it work in my eyes.
Do you know the geology of the cave or are you just guessing?

I do btw. It’s limestone with lots of fissures in the rock.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

paddyor wrote:Do you know the geology of the cave or are you just guessing?

I do btw. It’s limestone with lots of fissures in the rock.
So very easy to manipulate to allow passage? :lol:
paddyor wrote: Seriously? This is shameless self promotion right down to to the “rocket parts” in the sub. You get the impression es pissed they didn’t use him.

Im a hater btw. Went right off him when he started sickin his followers on critics. Then his getting all pissy with journos who question. Remember he went full trump about fake news? The icing on the cake was that “monorail” he’s been trying to sell to Chicago with tech that doesn’t exist yet.
The rocket parts are using available SpaceX parts, which they know the existing parameters of, to create a solution rather than creating new ones and increasing lead time in a potentially emergency situation. But sure, using them is self promotion. I'll tell you what, every time you do anything good right now I'll be there telling you that you're only doing it because you get some benefit from it.

I feel he has a right to stand up to his detractors. After all, his companies have done some extremely good work with him at the helm. He's right to call out fake news from major agencies when it is fake - but then you think the graun is a worthwhile source so what would you know. :mullet 3:
Last edited by FLIP on July 11th, 2018, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ah no FLIP, Elon Musk recently referenced a Keith Reniere news site as being a good news site.... he is not a good judge of real/fake
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote:Ah no FLIP, Elon Musk recently referenced a Keith Reniere news site as being a good news site.... he is not a good judge of real/fake
When it comes to news about his products and companies he might actually be right - although I've no idea who Keith Reniere is.
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Ah no FLIP, Elon Musk recently referenced a Keith Reniere news site as being a good news site.... he is not a good judge of real/fake
When it comes to news about his products and companies he might actually be right - although I've no idea who Keith Reniere is.
Have you ever heard of a guy named Keith Raniere? You may have heard of his cult, 'NXIVM' which has been in the news a lot lately. In Episode 8, Robert is joined by writer/comedian  Anna Salinas (badcomixbyanna, John Baxte) and they discuss Keith Raniere who describes himself as the 'conceptual founder of NXIVM, a group that focuses on the overarching philosophy of companies focusing on increasing joy and ethics in the world.' BUT we now know that is complete cr@p and   NXIVM is actually a creepy sex cult that forced women to brand each other.

https://www.behindthebastards.com/podca ... ndship.htm
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So all the people taken in by brass eye. Who didn't realise it was a comedy programme should be added to your list too?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

FLIP wrote:
The rocket parts are using available SpaceX parts, which they know the existing parameters of, to create a solution rather than creating new ones and increasing lead time in a potentially emergency situation. But sure, using them is self promotion. I'll tell you what, every time you do anything good right now I'll be there telling you that you're only doing it because you get some benefit from it.

I feel he has a right to stand up to his detractors. After all, his companies have done some extremely good work with him at the helm. He's right to call out fake news from major agencies when it is fake - but then you think the graun is a worthwhile source so what would you know. :mullet 3:
Or parts, as they're also known. Is a calculator part "super computer" because it contains real "super computer" parts?

He is of course entitled to challenge journos for shoddy work. But sending twitter follwers after people isn't that. And there are real questions about Teslas delivering on targets. Not to mention the fact that this guy has publicised the fact that he's run things down to the wire before, so of course people are going to ask difficult questions when it looks like things are heading south!

Believe it or not Flip, some charity/volunteer work is actually selfless. Like the heroes who actually saved the children without live tweeting the whole thing.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote:
FLIP wrote:
Have you ever heard of a guy named Keith Raniere? You may have heard of his cult, 'NXIVM' which has been in the news a lot lately. In Episode 8, Robert is joined by writer/comedian  Anna Salinas (badcomixbyanna, John Baxte) and they discuss Keith Raniere who describes himself as the 'conceptual founder of NXIVM, a group that focuses on the overarching philosophy of companies focusing on increasing joy and ethics in the world.' BUT we now know that is complete cr@p and   NXIVM is actually a creepy sex cult that forced women to brand each other.

https://www.behindthebastards.com/podca ... ndship.htm
I've not really heard of that, no. One mislead belief doesn't make Musk a monster though.
paddyor wrote:
FLIP wrote:

Or parts, as they're also known. Is a calculator part "super computer" because it contains real "super computer" parts?

He is of course entitled to challenge journos for shoddy work. But sending twitter follwers after people isn't that. And there are real questions about Teslas delivering on targets. Not to mention the fact that this guy has publicised the fact that he's run things down to the wire before, so of course people are going to ask difficult questions when it looks like things are heading south!

Believe it or not Flip, some charity/volunteer work is actually selfless. Like the heroes who actually saved the children without live tweeting the whole thing.
If a section of metal tubing rated to X atmospheric pressure is used for a rocket, and can also be used for this bespoke one off solution, it's pretty fair to say it's a rocket part.

Does he actually say "Hey twitter followers, sick it on this guy"? No. So publicly responding to grief makers who post publicly doesn't count as sending twitter followers after people. Now, if he takes a private mail and exposes someones private information to his twitter followers to go after, that counts.

Tesla are a market leader in a very niche, cutting edge area - with no real competition. The fact that some things don't work and/or are delayed is a symptom of progress in a cutting edge area. Teething issues with new technology are not things heading south.

As for the view that there is such a thing as a truly selfless act, philosophers, social scientists and neurologists have all discovered: It's difficult to prove the existence of a truly selfless act. But that wasn't my point - my point was I should follow you around and point out how each of your good deeds aren't selfless. See how much you'd like it, and how quickly you'd choose to do nothing. Chasing people around decrying good deeds is narcissistic to a fault.
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:So all the people taken in by brass eye. Who didn't realise it was a comedy programme should be added to your list too?
What list? Elon Musk went after "fake news", told the world he was going to fix the fake news problem and create a website/app (called pravda) that would rank journalists credibility and fight fake news.
Whilst he was on his fake news soapbox and promising to be the new prophet of honesty and journalistic integrity, he highlighted an article on a website called www.theknifemedia.com as an example. That website is controlled by the NXIVM cult and is a drag net for recruitment.
A dragnet for recruitment of rich insecure young girls for Keith (who has ascribed himself an estimated problem-solving rarity of one in 425,000,000 and which makes him one of the worlds top 3 problem solvers, dontcha know) the paedophile, so he can have their groin branded with his initials and pay for the privilege.

Still on the fence. Elon has done so much to fill a void left by NASA r&d. He has brought together some group of genius's and has managed to generate enough credibility to get massive amounts of money to fund them (which is furthering humanity IMO) which is extremely worthy and something we should all be grateful for, so long as we can all recognise that he is first and foremost a great salesman and not infallible. He needs exposure to generate cash potential because so many of his projects are not profitable.
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

FLIP wrote:If a section of metal tubing rated to X atmospheric pressure is used for a rocket, and can also be used for this bespoke one off solution, it's pretty fair to say it's a rocket part.

Does he actually say "Hey twitter followers, sick it on this guy"? No. So publicly responding to grief makers who post publicly doesn't count as sending twitter followers after people. Now, if he takes a private mail and exposes someones private information to his twitter followers to go after, that counts.

Tesla are a market leader in a very niche, cutting edge area - with no real competition. The fact that some things don't work and/or are delayed is a symptom of progress in a cutting edge area. Teething issues with new technology are not things heading south.

As for the view that there is such a thing as a truly selfless act, philosophers, social scientists and neurologists have all discovered: It's difficult to prove the existence of a truly selfless act. But that wasn't my point - my point was I should follow you around and point out how each of your good deeds aren't selfless. See how much you'd like it, and how quickly you'd choose to do nothing. Chasing people around decrying good deeds is narcissistic to a fault.
Pretty sure that's against the terms of service. But there's ways around it. Piers Morgan likes to quote tweet people rather than "punch up" and respond in the replies. It's usally just singling people out and making insuations about their character. Also what "grief"? So journos can't question him about missed production targets, quality of the product and funding issues?

I think you're misunderstanding the philospophers etc. They weren't talking about about acts for the purposes of self promotion(solely or jointly). Who's chasing people around decrying good deeds? That's some straw man you have there. He's a shameless self publicist. He has no problems with it, you do?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Shut up all you people criticising thin skinned narcissistic billionaires! Those poor people carry the can for everyone else, for no benefit to themselves.

Shame on you applying critical thinking towards self professed good deeds. Those people deserve uncritical support. Like saintly Mother Theresa, imagine their were people complaining about her when she was alive but we conservatives aimed a constant barrage of abuse at them and shut them up. And Sir Bob Geldof, imagine those naughty French aid workers pointing out that his organisations approach led to the death of tens of thousands of people who might otherwise have lived. Or those lovely nuns providing jobs for those fallen women and homes for their children.

And on and on. It never stops.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Quoth the Raven (@QTRResearch) Tweeted:
Cave rescuer on Musk: “It was a PR stunt. It had no chance of working.” https://t.co/uPgRMQLkRx https://twitter.com/QTRResearch/status/ ... 49635?s=17
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote:Quoth the Raven (@QTRResearch) Tweeted:
Cave rescuer on Musk: “It was a PR stunt. It had no chance of working.” https://t.co/uPgRMQLkRx https://twitter.com/QTRResearch/status/ ... 49635?s=17
Vern Unsworth is not Richard Stanton. Vern Unsworth didn't lead the efforts of the rescue: from the same source no less https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/07/13/uk ... index.html

The people engaging with Musk were professional cave rescuers. Vern Unsworth was not one of the professionals but merely a caver who lived locally. Stanton would have a far better idea of what techniques would be useful.
Last edited by FLIP on July 15th, 2018, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

fourthirtythree wrote:Shut up all you people criticising thin skinned narcissistic billionaires! Those poor people carry the can for everyone else, for no benefit to themselves.

Shame on you applying critical thinking towards self professed good deeds. Those people deserve uncritical support. Like saintly Mother Theresa, imagine their were people complaining about her when she was alive but we conservatives aimed a constant barrage of abuse at them and shut them up. And Sir Bob Geldof, imagine those naughty French aid workers pointing out that his organisations approach led to the death of tens of thousands of people who might otherwise have lived. Or those lovely nuns providing jobs for those fallen women and homes for their children.

And on and on. It never stops.
Any more of a straw man and they'll make a Nic Cage movie out of it. Converse in good faith or don't at all.
Anyone But New Zealand
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Musk is calling him a pedo on Twitter now........of course he probably deserves that for giving musk grief.
You know what, don’t bother showing the video. We will make one of the mini-sub/pod going all the way to Cave 5 no problemo. Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it.
Last edited by paddyor on July 15th, 2018, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Quoth the Raven (@QTRResearch) Tweeted:
Vern Unsworth is not Richard Stanton. Vern Unsworth didn't lead the efforts of the rescue: from the same source no less https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/07/13/uk ... index.html

The people engaging with Musk were professional cave rescuers. Vern Unsworth was not one of the professionals but merely a caver who lived locally. Stanton would have a far better idea of what techniques would be useful.
So apart from that article adding nothing, you're not Musk, you have no clue as to whether the embattled CEO was trying to use the Thai situation for PR, neither am I and yet here we are.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Caver threatens lawsuit against Elon Musk who insulted him after he refused his offer of aid for Thai rescue http://jrnl.ie/4129834

The prosecution rests, y'rona
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

liz
‏ @ldrinkh20

The plan? Pilot a mini submarine built from spare rocket parts into an empty cave to prove that it theoretically could have rescued a youth soccer team that is already safe in order to show that one of the actual rescuers is a liar and pedophile
https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/10 ... 1334042624

from the replies

Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Can't we just send Musk down a very deep, dark cave somewhere, with a box of bits, and tell him to make his own way out. Then he can prove his theories. Simples.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".