Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by neill_m »

Samu Manoa heading to Cardiff Blues from Toulon.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Wayne Pivac, the Scarlets coach to replace Warren Gatland as Welsh boss after RWC next year.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

neill_m wrote:Wayne Pivac, the Scarlets coach to replace Warren Gatland as Welsh boss after RWC next year.
Wow
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:
neill_m wrote:Wayne Pivac, the Scarlets coach to replace Warren Gatland as Welsh boss after RWC next year.
Wow
Really? That's been on the cards since May last year.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Yeah, no surprise there. More interesting is whether he takes Stephen Jones with him or not.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Might leave a Simon Easterby sized gap in Scarlets though. . . .
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote:
ronk wrote:
Wow
Really? That's been on the cards since May last year.
It's a good move for him. I suppose doing well with the Lions has helped Gatland get a job further away.

I probably fear Pivac more than Gatland from an international perspective.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The 3rd 1872 Cup game between Glasgow and Edinburgh will now actually be played at Scotstoun. It is a designated home game for Glasgow, but the SRU had originally scheduled it at Murrayfield to tie in with their "Silver Saturday" concept - a day where a lot of amateur finals are played etc.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

ronk wrote: Really? That's been on the cards since May last year.
It's a good move for him. I suppose doing well with the Lions has helped Gatland get a job further away.

I probably fear Pivac more than Gatland from an international perspective.[/quote]

Not sure I'd agree. He is an excellent coach but Gatlands Wales were very consistent and very hard to beat.

Glad to see the back of Sean Edwards, presuming he is leaving.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Pro 14 aiming to have the fixtures out by the end of the week. Draft ones are done, waiting for the clubs/broadcasters to suggest any final changes etc.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

neill_m wrote:Samu Manoa heading to Cardiff Blues from Toulon.
Excellent signing for them. The guy is a beast and versatile. I can the Blues making the play-offs in our conference, especially with Glasgow seemingly on the decline.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

neiliog93 wrote:
Excellent signing for them. The guy is a beast and versatile. I can the Blues making the play-offs in our conference, especially with Glasgow seemingly on the decline.
Blues aren’t in our conference , but yes I agree. They’re also getting increased funding.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Sam Warburton has announced his retirement
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

cormac wrote:Sam Warburton has announced his retirement
Ah jesus. That is tough. He's a player I despised because he was so good and not a hint of arrogance about him.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

paddyor wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
Blues aren’t in our conference , but yes I agree. They’re also getting increased funding.
Indeed. From 2 weeks ago. No change to the conferences for 18/19.

Q: Will it be the same format as last season or will you re-jig the conferences?
A: It will be the same two conferences, with teams playing the other sides in their section home and away and then teams from the other conference either home or away.
The one change is we will reverse the cross-conference fixtures.

From interview with the Pro 14 boss man.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Peg Leg wrote:
Ah jesus. That is tough. He's a player I despised because he was so good and not a hint of arrogance about him.
Sorry for Warburton - fantastic player and his retirement only goes to show the attritional nature of the demands on the modern back row player. Some international record to retire with at the age of 29.

Given the thread is about the Pro14 his retirement won't affect Cardiff. He barely played for them in the last five seasons and when he did he never (well very rarely) performed at the top of his game.
Four Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:
Yeah, the Elon Musk of rugby.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's sad news but at least he had a helluva career. Hopefully the fact that he got back training means that he's not in much pain or debilitated too much by whatever the injury was. A total pain in the arse to play against, seemed like there was more than one of him when at his best.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Suppose it's expected with his injury record. Thought he'd patch himself up for a run at the RWC.

He had some great days
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Pretty gutted for Warburton. He always comes across as a great guy – open, patient, honest and intelligent. Hell of a player too, and [like Jamie Roberts] reserved his best stuff for the biggest games. Best of luck to him in whatever he does next.