Super Rugby

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Super Rugby

Post by simonokeeffe »

Sad irony is Force will be axed when Melbourne Rebels were the franchise too far

Japanese team has been handled badly

They made a mess of expanding trinations too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

James Lowe involved in incredible try last week, Scott Fardy heavily involved in one this week.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fan with smartphone wrote:James Lowe involved in incredible try last week, Scott Fardy heavily involved in one this week.
gave it to the quicker man to exploit a break nice and early
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From the Sydney Morning Herald
It's over: Super Rugby is dead and Australia should go it alone
By Paul Cully 18 May 2018

Once upon a time when Australians were interested in Super Rugby, the Joe Moody-Kurtley Beale incident would have been a big story.

Now it's just a metaphor for the competition: an Australian cops one off the ball, Australians complain and Australians get told to suck it up.

And it's not much more than that. This competition is dead in Australia. Finito. Over. The golden goose became a turkey and it's now a dodo.

For months I have have been weighing up whether to write that, which was once unthinkable. But as I swayed one way and the other it dawned on me that I was completely missing the point.
Advertisement

The punters have already decided: they aren't going and they aren't watching any more.

A grand total of 48,000 viewers watched the Waratahs v Crusaders game on Saturday on Fox Sports, according to MediaWeek.

​This is what a crisis looks like. Super Netball, with its FTA deal, gets twice as many eyeballs.

And half of Super Rugby's viewers are probably Kiwi expats. We can guess that because the Blues v Hurricanes game on Friday, at 5.30pm, pulled in more than 50k.

Indeed, based on my understanding of Super Rugby pay TV audiences in the UK, there may be more watching the Sky Sport UK broadcasts than Wallabies fans in Australia.

The Brumbies v Rebels game, on at the prime time 7.30pm slot, attracted 44k on Fox Sports and fewer than 6000 in person. How many will turn up in Canberra to watch the Brumbies play the Sunwolves in July?

Therefore, it is not a case of even wanting to stay in Super Rugby, Australia just can't afford to.

And SANZAAR can't do anything about it. A jointly controlled organisation is no match for rugby's rival codes. It is as powerless to stop them muscling into rugby territory as it is stopping the weak rand that sends so many South Africans to Europe.

Australia must regain total control of its own future to even stand a chance of getting itself out of this mess.

It needs to rap on the door of Channel 10 and say: "You need content and we have an untapped demand [which I believe still exists] so let's shut the door and not open it until we can do something about both."

If Australia goes it alone, it will create winners again. In a 10-team national competition, five sets of fans get to go home happy every week. Do not underestimate what that would do. Even better, they would get to watch their side in time slots that suit humans, not possums.

There will be worries about the quality of such a product. And they would be justified. Recently we wrote that improving the quality of Australian rugby will be a slow process. In a national competition there would be some games praised as wonderful that are, in truth, less than that.

But it would not matter. Indeed the preferred status of the sports fan is blissful ignorance, wilful self-delusion. The NRL runs on the stuff. It is the feelgood fuel that gets Blues fans back to Origin every year and would get more than 55,000 to turn up to watch a Bledisloe in Sydney.

Put simply, Australian rugby fans want to feel nice again. Is it too much to ask?

People ask me about Rugby Australia's appetite for such drastic change.

Two weeks ago, Raelene Castle said the key thing for any new competition would be that it "has uncertainty of outcome".

Does that sound like an endorsement for Super Rugby, or even a trans-Tasman competition with the latest count at 39-0 to the Kiwis?

Also, this may be one of those times when the appetite within Rugby Australia can be shaped by your appetite.

So get in touch. Castle is quietly building a reputation as someone who fronts up and actually listens. She's easily found on social media. Tell her what you want. Start a conversation. Do you want in or out?

In fact, the most important part of her job right now is listening. When it comes to Super Rugby goes she has to judge if the music has stopped.

And all I'm hearing is the faint, final few bars of The Party's Over.
I know its just one mans rant, but things are in a mess down there.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I usually only catch the facebook highlights videos but from what I've seen Aussie teams are mostly boring. S.A. teams are a lot better to watch, especially the Sharks this year
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

"If Australia goes it alone, it will create winners again. In a 10-team national competition, five sets of fans get to go home happy every week. Do not underestimate what that would do. Even better, they would get to watch their side in time slots that suit humans, not possums."

Both points above are a good summation as to why the pro14 should keep away from the US until they have developed national foothold.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Surprised to see RO'G in back-row of Crusaders Coaching box for semi-final v Hurricanes. Certainly doesn't look like Scott Robinson's right hand man from those shots. With Crusaders having 400 plus caps in their pack, the role of Back's Coach looks more like what the job entails in Munster - teach your backs how to take tries when the forwards have finished with the ball.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Surprised to see RO'G in back-row of Crusaders Coaching box for semi-final v Hurricanes.
Nobody puts baby in the corner