Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Friday's rant

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not a rant but didnt want to start a new thread.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the letter to arrive once you're caught speeding? I have a feeling I was caught over the weekend and am afraid to check the post this week.
Can be up to 2-3 weeks.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I preferred John23's answer...but thanks for the replies!

I might be spending the next month waiting for the axe to fall so.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I'm just thinking. I was pulled over for my offense and given notice of the fine and points on the spot, so maybe that's different. It might be different if it was a van etc. IIRC there was a case a few years ago where someoone appealed a second offence because they never received notice between the first and second offences.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Watching Shane f%~king Ross trying to latch onto the hockey team's glory at their homecoming.

I thought he was bad when Analise Murphy medalled in Rio but that was peak Ross.

He's only to be seen when a pitch in his constituency gets built or when someone wins a medal despite his department giving them no money or support.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Watching Shane f%~king Ross trying to latch onto the hockey team's glory at their homecoming.

I thought he was bad when Analise Murphy medalled in Rio but that was peak Ross.

He's only to be seen when a pitch in his constituency gets built or when someone wins a medal despite his department giving them no money or support.
Ah you're one of the fools who bought that tweet about funding being cut by 100%. I'll keep that in mind.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Watching Shane f%~king Ross trying to latch onto the hockey team's glory at their homecoming.

That wasn't the case though - Hockey Ireland received nearly a million euro in funding over the last 12 months including core funding, its high performance grant, the women in sport grant and special payments to cover the mens and womens hockey world cups.

Is it enough? Probably not.

But then that goes for pretty much every sport, including the ones we actually care about year round. One thing I do know is that sport, like a lot of things in this half-assed state of ours, is something we want to have better funding but don't really want to have to pay to fund.
I have Bumbleflex
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Dave Cahill wrote: That wasn't the case though - Hockey Ireland received nearly a million euro in funding over the last 12 months including core funding, its high performance grant, the women in sport grant and special payments to cover the mens and womens hockey world cups.

Is it enough? Probably not.

But then that goes for pretty much every sport, including the ones we actually care about year round. One thing I do know is that sport, like a lot of things in this half-assed state of ours, is something we want to have better funding but don't really want to have to pay to fund.
+1 to that.
Four Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Tbf to Ross, I don't see why people complain about the minister for sport attending events like that. He quite clearly shouldn't be the minster for sport and lots of things about him are annoying (mixing up the Kearneys, and even just the fact that he wore a suit and tie to the game on Sunday) but people giving out about him jumping on the bandwagon or wasting expenses on trips is wrong IMO.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Tbf to Ross, I don't see why people complain about the minister for sport attending events like that. He quite clearly shouldn't be the minster for sport and lots of things about him are annoying (mixing up the Kearneys, and even just the fact that he wore a suit and tie to the game on Sunday) but people giving out about him jumping on the bandwagon or wasting expenses on trips is wrong IMO.
It's not that - did you see the setup for the reception. He was centre stage while the team were in a semi circle around him. It was all about him - it was like his homecoming that he had graciously allowed the team to join him on stage. Then he announces "he" has decided to give an extra €1.5mm (to audible gasps from the women who obviously thought it was for hockey) to all sports.

He makes it about him - every time. He should be at these events - but not to improve the image of Shane Ross (tm) - but rather to promote the game or sport in general
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I saw that and agree it was weird, but people weren't just giving out about that, they were giving out about him being at the match and the reception in town. It's the latter two that I think is stupid to complain about. Part of that criticism was based around him not funding hockey when that wasn't actually the case and that seems unfair to me. I was listening to second captains yesterday and they gave him both barrels for that press conference, which was totally deserved.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not a rant but didnt want to start a new thread.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the letter to arrive once you're caught speeding? I have a feeling I was caught over the weekend and am afraid to check the post this week.
Lucky you were not caught in Italy as they can send the notification up to 1 year after the offence.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Still in the clear so far anyway...fingers crossed.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

rooster wrote:Lucky you were not caught in Italy as they can send the notification up to 1 year after the offence.
Is it true that in Italy they also send you the picture from the speed camera with the passenger seat blacked out in case you're with someone you're not supposed to be with? :)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Germany too
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Don't they do that here as well? Court case where somewhere got caught speeding with his mistress.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

nc6000 wrote:
rooster wrote:Lucky you were not caught in Italy as they can send the notification up to 1 year after the offence.
Is it true that in Italy they also send you the picture from the speed camera with the passenger seat blacked out in case you're with someone you're not supposed to be with? :)
No idea as they have never caught me speeding, I was caught however in a restricted zone but it just showed the licence plate
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Having the word Mettle and the image of a blacksmith hurts my brain
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Peg Leg wrote:Image

Having the word Mettle and the image of a blacksmith hurts my brain
From the people that brought you 'Sexton's on fire' (presumably). Might have worked if they had the blacksmith pushing a coach full of OAP's up a hill to their bingo night.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Just saw Madonna's tribute to Madonna in front of a large image of Aretha Franklin to mark her passing on the VMA's. I never knew celebrities could be so narcissistic!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:Just saw Madonna's tribute to Madonna in front of a large image of Aretha Franklin to mark her passing on the VMA's. I never knew celebrities could be so narcissistic!
Wait people still watch the VMA's as if they're a relevant thing?