RWC 2019 Draw

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: RWC 2019 Draw

Post by dropkick »

The match is up on YouTube. The ref was a farce and got worse the longer the game went on. The Spanish were robbed.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clOx3DkheMk

Here is a ref reviewing the Romanian refs performance. Worth a watch.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A query for the viewers. I met a man at the match who is now starting his planning to drive to Japan. Anybody heard of any other lunatics with mad schemes to get there?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Considering doing the Trans-siberian railway from Moscow to Beijing and then flying from China. That's if I can get more than two weeks off work.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:A query for the viewers. I met a man at the match who is now starting his planning to drive to Japan. Anybody heard of any other lunatics with mad schemes to get there?
I know a lad who drove around the world in a Subaru Forrester. Drove right across Russia to Vladivostok and IIRC shipped it to South East Asia(don't think he drove into China). Think he had a blog of it, will see if I can find it.

Here's the forum

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... ndex3.html
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:A query for the viewers. I met a man at the match who is now starting his planning to drive to Japan. Anybody heard of any other lunatics with mad schemes to get there?
I know a lad who drove around the world in a Subaru Forrester. Drove right across Russia to Vladivostok and IIRC shipped it to South East Asia(don't think he drove into China). Think he had a blog of it, will see if I can find it.

Here's the forum

Many thanks. Info passed on.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Here's the forum

Many thanks. Info passed on.
FYI, he never came home
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Peg Leg wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote: I know a lad who drove around the world in a Subaru Forrester. Drove right across Russia to Vladivostok and IIRC shipped it to South East Asia(don't think he drove into China). Think he had a blog of it, will see if I can find it.

Here's the forum

FYI, he never came home
Spoiler Alert!!!!
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Hong Kong join Canada in the repechage tournament. Kenya looking set for it also with Germany looking set to join them.

Hong Kong 51-0 Cook Islands (77-3 over the 2 games)

Kenya 38-22 Uganda.

Namibia currently top in African qualifying. Africa 1 and the repechage side go into the NZ, SA and Italy group.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Samoa play the return leg of their playoff v Germany on Saturday with the Germans needing a miracle. Germany likely to drop into the repechage tournament which will be held in France. Round robin format played during the November test window. Kenya likely to complete the line up from the African qualifying section.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What, if anything, are the current contingency Plans for holding RWC 2019?

Looking at the current Japanese floods, if the RWC was being held this September, it would possibly require two alternartive Venues.

Presumably there are contingency Plans?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

One assumes that just like in NZ they just cut out those stadia/cities that can't host, Japan is big enough that they can move a game.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote:What, if anything, are the current contingency Plans for holding RWC 2019?

Looking at the current Japanese floods, if the RWC was being held this September, it would possibly require two alternartive Venues.

Presumably there are contingency Plans?
Query repeated, as coverage of the current Typhoon makes landfall in Japan today. Significant damage in Osaka and Kobe and nine cities currently subject to compulsory evacuation orders. How would you run a Rugby World Cup in such circumstances?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was over there when there was one in early July, not sure if there's a typhoon season or if the World Cup will run into it. It was on the west coast and that's where we were heading (had no choice despite seeing the floods on TV just before we left Tokyo), trains weren't a problem and when we got to Hakata it was fine. Obviously we were lucky and the worst areas were close by but didnt affect us, but my point is that the trains kept running and the place didn't shut down.

I've also got caught in one when trying to go from Shanghai to HK. Flights were cancelled for a day or so but apparently HK was actually operating fairly normally once you actually got there.

I know this sounds like it's on a larger scale but my own experiences would put me at ease a bit.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I was over there when there was one in early July, not sure if there's a typhoon season or if the World Cup will run into it. It was on the west coast and that's where we were heading (had no choice despite seeing the floods on TV just before we left Tokyo), trains weren't a problem and when we got to Hakata it was fine. Obviously we were lucky and the worst areas were close by but didnt affect us, but my point is that the trains kept running and the place didn't shut down.

I've also got caught in one when trying to go from Shanghai to HK. Flights were cancelled for a day or so but apparently HK was actually operating fairly normally once you actually got there.

I know this sounds like it's on a larger scale but my own experiences would put me at ease a bit.
Good to hear, as we approach 53 weeks from the start of RWC 2019. Looking at the extensive coverage on CNN, their crew were certainly surprised at the impact of this Typhoon on those they spoke to in Osaka. Airport inundated with water and closed; major bridge link to motorway system partially dismantled by collision of an 80m tanker.

Clearly the Japanese make extensive plans for major weather events but two this year - floods and heatwave - have now been followed by the most violent Typhoon in 25 years. That certainly tests the infrastructure
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Ireland's RWC 2019 Warm-up games:

v Italy (Dublin) August 10
v England (Twickenham) August 24
v Wales (Cardiff) August 31
v Wales (Dublin) September 7
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

I forgot how much I dislike RWC warm-up games. The likes of Geordan Murphy, Tomas O'Leary and David Wallace might think similarly. By and large, the games are only good for eliminating certain fringe players from selection for the final squad.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

enby wrote:I forgot how much I dislike RWC warm-up games. The likes of Geordan Murphy, Tomas O'Leary and David Wallace might think similarly. By and large, the games are only good for eliminating certain fringe players from selection for the final squad.
Indeed anyone who is likely to feature in the starting XV in a RWC must dread them as they aim to avoid injury before the tournament actually starts.

Money makers for the unions.

And of course there was the genius idea back in 2007 to play Bayonne in a warm up game with France in the group :roll:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

So a year out and Scotland are stronger than they've been since 1990, the Japanese are progressing (and will be at home obviously) and when you look to the quarter finals SA are improving rapidly under Erasmus and NZ might be better than ever. This draw is looking pretty unfavourable, to me anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Twist wrote:So a year out and Scotland are stronger than they've been since 1990, the Japanese are progressing (and will be at home obviously) and when you look to the quarter finals SA are improving rapidly under Erasmus and NZ might be better than ever. This draw is looking pretty unfavourable, to me anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And Ireland are arguably better than they've ever been. No team will roll over in the RWC and I'm sure the team will be planning accordingly.

Also, I've got to keep positive on our hopes as I've got tickets for the QF and SF!