Scarlets v Leinster Sat 8 Sep 19:35 (Eir/TG4)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Scarlets v Leinster Sat 8 Sep 19:35 (Eir/TG4)

Post by johng »

Samson Lee came off at 39 mins for yellow. And was ready to come back on at 44mins
Injury time should not count off the clock
Anyone else notice?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:Samson Lee came off at 39 mins for yellow. And was ready to come back on at 44mins
Anyone else notice?
it does count though, the clock went several minutes past the 40 before Lowe scored
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

alanair wrote:And please don’t forget how Nahle coughed up the ball to create Scarlets last try
After giving them the penalty to get them into our 22 in the first place
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Peg Leg wrote:
alanair wrote:And please don’t forget how Nahle coughed up the ball to create Scarlets last try
Yep, I fear the Ian Nagle experiment may have run its course after tonight. Strange to think that it's only 2 years since he started against Munster at Lansdowne Road.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

joooooe wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Yep, I fear the Ian Nagle experiment may have run its course after tonight. Strange to think that it's only 2 years since he started against Munster at Lansdowne Road.

to be fair to the guy - apart from being the root cause of what was the losing of the game - I thought it was by far his best performance in a Leinster shirt. I'm actually hopeful for his future here if he can stop sending in the sick notes and get a decent run of games
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: to be fair to the guy - apart from being the root cause of what was the losing of the game - I thought it was by far his best performance in a Leinster shirt. I'm actually hopeful for his future here if he can stop sending in the sick notes and get a decent run of games
Don't think it's injury that's been costing him getting a run of games. He played fairly regularly last season between league and Leinster A appearances. There's a real gap between our first three second-rows (Toner, Ryan and Fardy) and the next three (Molony, Kearney and Nagle). At least with Molony and Kearney (to a lesser extent) you could argue they still have age on their side. Nagle will be 30 next month and I'm not sure there's much improvement left. To my mind he's replaced Tom Denton in the squad in every aspect.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

cormac wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote: to be fair to the guy - apart from being the root cause of what was the losing of the game - I thought it was by far his best performance in a Leinster shirt. I'm actually hopeful for his future here if he can stop sending in the sick notes and get a decent run of games
Don't think it's injury that's been costing him getting a run of games. He played fairly regularly last season between league and Leinster A appearances. There's a real gap between our first three second-rows (Toner, Ryan and Fardy) and the next three (Molony, Kearney and Nagle). At least with Molony and Kearney (to a lesser extent) you could argue they still have age on their side. Nagle will be 30 next month and I'm not sure there's much improvement left. To my mind he's replaced Tom Denton in the squad in every aspect.
well if we're to judge on last year's performances I'm not sure I'd fancy any of Molony, Nagle or Kearney
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
cormac wrote:
well if we're to judge on last year's performances I'm not sure I'd fancy any of Molony, Nagle or Kearney
Molony looked a real prospect in his first full season (2015/16) but hasn't kicked on at all since then. He's only 24 though so you'd hope he can improve. Mick Kearney hasn't really showed much in his time at Leinster either. As I said, there's a big gap at the moment between our first-choice locks and the rest. Fardy and Ryan were a big reason why we went from pretenders in 16/17 to champions in 17/18. Second-row went from a real weakness to a serious strength.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

in full agreement with you there Cormac
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:
johng wrote:Samson Lee came off at 39 mins for yellow. And was ready to come back on at 44mins
Anyone else notice?
it does count though, the clock went several minutes past the 40 before Lowe scored
Really? I could have sworn it didn't
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Fao wixford: i never wrote that paragraph about kicking stats and standards etc so u may have been dreaming that one up. Oh well....maybe have a day off mate?
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

johng wrote:
cormac wrote:
Anyone else notice?
Really? I could have sworn it didn't
Yep, it does. In a 6 nation's match last year between France and Wales a player got a yellow card after theb80 minutes and there was so much added time that he came back on before he match was up.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Fair enough. Dunno where I got that so.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

I think all things considered, it was a decent result, 4-1 on match points, missing a whole rake of players and I thought in certain aspects we looked superb, very impressive for this stage of the season. Other aspects let us down, the half-backs were poor, we were destroyed at the breakdown, as good as Ruddock, Conan and Connors (and later on Deegan) are, none are renowned jacklers, we were badly outmatched in the back-row. The good news is, we have an army of world class talent to come back in that position, with O'Brien, Leavy and Ven Der Flier all missing, they would make a massive difference.

In the second row, I agree that Nagle and Kearney and sad to say it, but possibly Molony too are just squad fillers really. Line out for the A team and be cover for the first squad if needed. It's a testament to how much we've struggled to produce second-rows, although James Ryan was worth the wait, it would be good to see a couple more come through.

Ah, overall I'm not too concerned, I really enjoyed the game, I thought it was a cracker, it's an early season result, there's a long way to go, I'll take it.

One or two of the younger lads will learn a lot from this.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Yeah, the result last week kind of took the pressure off. Frustrating not to snatch it but there were some encouraging signs for down the road. 2 home wins and that will be a decent start to the season.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

cormac wrote:Anybody see why Dooley went off? Healy came back on for him about five minutes from the end of the match.
Commentary on Premier Sports said it was a blood replacement.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

An observation Sam Warburton, while, commentating, made, and which I agree with, was that we might have gone wide a bit more or at least varied our attack; too often it was one out runners trucking it up a few metres from the last breakdown. We rarely - an exception being Ferg's try - put much width on the ball.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

riocard911 wrote:An observation Sam Warburton, while, commentating, made, and which I agree with, was that we might have gone wide a bit more or at least varied our attack; too often it was one out runners trucking it up a few metres from the last breakdown. We rarely - an exception being Ferg's try - put much width on the ball.
And another time we went wide it almost ended with a try for ROL but the pass from Larmour was judged to have been forward
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

COYBIB wrote:I think all things considered, it was a decent result, 4-1 on match points, missing a whole rake of players and I thought in certain aspects we looked superb, very impressive for this stage of the season. Other aspects let us down, the half-backs were poor, we were destroyed at the breakdown, as good as Ruddock, Conan and Connors (and later on Deegan) are, none are renowned jacklers, we were badly outmatched in the back-row. The good news is, we have an army of world class talent to come back in that position, with O'Brien, Leavy and Ven Der Flier all missing, they would make a massive difference.

In the second row, I agree that Nagle and Kearney and sad to say it, but possibly Molony too are just squad fillers really. Line out for the A team and be cover for the first squad if needed. It's a testament to how much we've struggled to produce second-rows, although James Ryan was worth the wait, it would be good to see a couple more come through.

Ah, overall I'm not too concerned, I really enjoyed the game, I thought it was a cracker, it's an early season result, there's a long way to go, I'll take it.

With Dunne and especially Baird joining the Academy there is definitely a line of talent coming through.
Last edited by TrapperChamonix on September 10th, 2018, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

COYBIB wrote:I think all things considered, it was a decent result, 4-1 on match points, missing a whole rake of players and I thought in certain aspects we looked superb, very impressive for this stage of the season. Other aspects let us down, the half-backs were poor, we were destroyed at the breakdown, as good as Ruddock, Conan and Connors (and later on Deegan) are, none are renowned jacklers, we were badly outmatched in the back-row. The good news is, we have an army of world class talent to come back in that position, with O'Brien, Leavy and Ven Der Flier all missing, they would make a massive difference.

we haven't struggled to develop second rows - Alan O'Connor at Ulster, Tadhg Beirne at Munster and Gavin Thornbury at Connacht.

now why they are at other provinces and not leinster..