Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by blockhead »

IRFU finacials:
IRFU INCOME FOR THE YEAR ENDED 30 APRIL 2017
Schedule 1: Representative matches
2016/17 2015/16 2014/15
€ € €
International rugby income 37,933,469 39,610,945 36,790,118
Commercial income 10,478,441 9,161,895 8,566,907
Deferred ticket income 14,276,951 12,937,133 15,129,752
Provincial competition income 10,375,341 10,585,728 9,707,983
73,064,202 72,295,701 70,194,760
Schedule 2: Other income
2016/17 2015/16 2014/15
€ € €
Other rugby income 365,469 294,957 337,280
Revenue grants 2,674,043 2,810,680 2,639,843
Other income 482,119 708,674 972,310
3,521,631 3,814,311 3,949,433
Senior Men’s Player and Management Costs:
2016- E34.965M
2017- E36.801M
(According to the IRFU’s Annual report 2016/17)
sorry for the mess
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

blockhead wrote:IRFU finacials:

sorry for the mess
Here you go - saved it as a jpeg for you

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Thanks Xanthippe.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

paddyor wrote:
blockhead wrote:Again, I know, its the mail but...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... tions.html
They made lorry loads of cash from the World Cup, didn't they? Where's it all gone?
They never accounted for the loss of income from the AIs during the RWC is one of the things. Think they also never budgeted properly for the home and away imbalance in the 6 nations. Really stupid stuff.
That is amazingly stupid
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Madser doing a Madser on it tonight so far for Bristol against Glos.

Some brilliant stuff, a lot of very average stuff, some stupid stuff.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The reaction to the red card in the wasps tigers game from some pundits and ex players is nonsense. What’s worse is BT pundits seemingly pushing an editorial line on it. Apparently if players can’t recklessly tackle people he game is finished.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I actually didn't think it was that bad (although have only seen the one angle of it that's doing the rounds on Twitter) but totally agree about the reaction. Geordan Murphy was very childish about it..."we'll have to start picking guys who are under 5ft" etc :roll:

I was disgusted by what he said about the Dippy incident last week. Claimed that Dippy was just winded and only looked confused because Leicester had lost a player while he was being treated. If you watch the clip it's as clear as day that Dippy should have gone for a HIA. I also find it a bit rich that he talked about the game going soft when he shied away from plenty of tackles himself.

I think there needs to be a grey area where guys are punished during a game but not necessarily banned afterwards. The George Smith example last week should happen more in the future.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

He did hit him in the side of the head with his shoulder.
I don't think it was intentional, but if the number of concussions is going to be reduced then
it's probably right that he was sent off.
The problem for me was that within minutes, another player appeared was hit in the head and
nothing, not even a penalty was given because on that occasion the TMO didn't bring it to the
ref's attention.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Nonsense stuff from Murphy ... declaring rugby has gone "too PC".

He's spent too much time around the great minds of Cockrill and O'Connor that he's now lost the ability to differentiate between political correctness and health and safety, and lost the decorum to not have petty rant about contact to the head in the same month of one of his own players enforced retirement due to concussion.

Perhaps he thinks Dom just needed to harden up and discriminate against a few more minorities?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

In terms of head shots the red card works as a sanction because the player is equally at risk regardless of intent or just honest poor/sloppy technique and the ref has to protect the players, players also have a duty to play with due care themselves so if you're intentionally illegal or just sloppy you need to work at that aspect of your game as you'll cost your team. It's simple and the easier move here for Murphy is to have his players work on tackle technique. I'm not saying they need to go as soft as he used to in certain attempted tackles mind.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

ChrisUppy wrote:Nonsense stuff from Murphy ... declaring rugby has gone "too PC".

He's spent too much time around the great minds of Cockrill and O'Connor that he's now lost the ability to differentiate between political correctness and health and safety, and lost the decorum to not have petty rant about contact to the head in the same month of one of his own players enforced retirement due to concussion.

Perhaps he thinks Dom just needed to harden up and discriminate against a few more minorities?
It's not like Geordan Murphy to talk some awful shite when his team has lost / are losing
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What was that? I've a vague recollection of something but can't think of it at all.

Always think it reflects really badly on a coach when he gives out about something like this. I'm not saying that coaches can't feel hard done by or complain, but this was something that was actually in Leicester's control and was quite clearly a red card under the laws. The laws won't have changed when they got back training on Monday morning, so would it be better to have the players all thinking they were robbed, or to do a couple of tough sessions where the ball carrier is upright and the defenders have to get their technique right? What if happens again next week? Would he complain about a poor decision again despite what the laws say?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What was that? I've a vague recollection of something but can't think of it at all.
He gave a pretty snarky in-game interview in Nama Park last year when "Munster" were handing Leicester their asses on a plate, blamed the ref for the colour of the grass etc
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That rings a bell alright, had a feeling that it was something similar to my rant about him blaming external factors instead of fixing things. Thanks!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What was that? I've a vague recollection of something but can't think of it at all.

Always think it reflects really badly on a coach when he gives out about something like this. I'm not saying that coaches can't feel hard done by or complain, but this was something that was actually in Leicester's control and was quite clearly a red card under the laws. The laws won't have changed when they got back training on Monday morning, so would it be better to have the players all thinking they were robbed, or to do a couple of tough sessions where the ball carrier is upright and the defenders have to get their technique right? What if happens again next week? Would he complain about a poor decision again despite what the laws say?
Well we have the shining example of the Welsh management cheerled by the English media on how to deal with this.

Obviously Sam Warburton dealt with his sending off in the world cup with dignity, but he was pretty much alone in England and Wales. Wales kept tip tackling, as they were coached to, and whingeing enough that they seemed to have refs a touch cowed. Given that the English media seems (from my limited view of it) to have rowed in behind Geordie...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Tightening up on the high tackle is going to affect some teams more than others.
The Pacific Islanders are prone to high tackles.
Internationaly, NZ(of the leading nations) will be one of the most affected teams.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

The Doc wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:Nonsense stuff from Murphy ... declaring rugby has gone "too PC".

It's not like Geordan Murphy to talk some awful shite when his team has lost / are losing
The same Geordan who publicly praised the PL referees compared to the poor standard rest of Europe in last season’s ERCC- because the latter dared allowed a fair legal contest at the breakdown? No- not at all like him.

Let’s face it he may be an ex-Ireland international and a former very good player, but he’s long been a nob- in terms of taking the PLR soup.

Disgraceful hardly covers his comments and his attitude to player welfare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
He gave a pretty snarky in-game interview in Nama Park last year when "Munster" were handing Leicester their asses on a plate, blamed the ref for the colour of the grass etc
He claimed in terms that the ERCC refs (by clear implication just the non-RFU ones) were not capable of reffing the breakdown. This because the English clubs were found out in the first rounds by their surprise that not every team had adopted their league’s non-competitive attitude to the breakdown.

That familiar mix of arrogance and ignorance is chilling in a young Irish coach. That tendency, along with his egregiously slighting comments on us before the 2009 final means I don’t want see him ever involved with Leinster.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

I vaguely remember his press quotes prior to the 2009 HEC final. But what I do vividly recollect watching him limp off in that same final and saying oh drat what shocking bad luck.
artaneboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
He claimed in terms that the ERCC refs (by clear implication just the non-RFU ones) were not capable of reffing the breakdown. This because the English clubs were found out in the first rounds by their surprise that not every team had adopted their league’s non-competitive attitude to the breakdown.

That familiar mix of arrogance and ignorance is chilling in a young Irish coach. That tendency, along with his egregiously slighting comments on us before the 2009 final means I don’t want see him ever involved with Leinster.

“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Just saw this
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3633568

Shocking amount of Leinster players there...