Neil Francis

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

elephantman
Knowledgeable

Neil Francis

Post by elephantman »

Anybody know if Neil Francis has given up his media gigs?

He hasn't had a column in INM this season, at least not online. Don't buy INM papers so not sure if he has had columns in the paper itself.

He hasn't been on The Last Word this season yet either.

Has he been cut loose I wonder?
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Re: Neil Francis

Post by tomthefan »

Not much yet for him to get his teeth into?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

The Eamon Dunphy of rugby journalism.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

betty swallocks wrote:The Eamon Dunphy of rugby journalism.
Good but Not Great. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:
No, that's George Hook.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
No, that's George Hook.
Nah, Hook's experience is mostly about lost property, specifically dressing rooms.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He had a piece in yesterday's paper
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Like it or not he's one of the few journalists in Irish rugby circles who doesn't give a toss about his relations with the players or branch and is prepared to rock the boat. Sometimes he hits the nail on the head, sometimes he's funny, sometimes he's wildly off, sometimes he's just a tosser. But he's a necessary voice.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

neiliog93 wrote:Like it or not he's one of the few journalists in Irish rugby circles who doesn't give a toss about his relations with the players or branch and is prepared to rock the boat. Sometimes he hits the nail on the head, sometimes he's funny, sometimes he's wildly off, sometimes he's just a tosser. But he's a necessary voice.
I fail to see the necessity of a voice that says “the gays don’t play rugby because they’re too soft”. The man was a lazy sniveling coward on the rugby pitch and is now an ill informed commentator with a limited grasp of reality.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Like it or not he's one of the few journalists in Irish rugby circles who doesn't give a toss about his relations with the players or branch and is prepared to rock the boat. Sometimes he hits the nail on the head, sometimes he's funny, sometimes he's wildly off, sometimes he's just a tosser. But he's a necessary voice.
I fail to see the necessity of a voice that says “the gays don’t play rugby because they’re too soft”. The man was a lazy sniveling coward on the rugby pitch and is now an ill informed commentator with a limited grasp of reality.
When did he say that?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
When did he say that?
just about 2 weeks, IIRC, before he apologised to Nigel Owens on Newstalk. http://www.the42.ie/neil-francis-gay-sp ... 5-Feb2014/

I may have paraphrased - but that was pretty much the direction of his message
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: just about 2 weeks, IIRC, before he apologised to Nigel Owens on Newstalk. http://www.the42.ie/neil-francis-gay-sp ... 5-Feb2014/

“the gays don’t play rugby because they’re too soft” When did he say that? Or did he say it at all?

"I may have paraphrased - but that was pretty much the direction of his message" or maybe you're talking sh!te?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote: just about 2 weeks, IIRC, before he apologised to Nigel Owens on Newstalk. http://www.the42.ie/neil-francis-gay-sp ... 5-Feb2014/

“the gays don’t play rugby because they’re too soft” When did he say that? Or did he say it at all?

"I may have paraphrased - but that was pretty much the direction of his message" or maybe you're talking sh!te?
perhaps your reading and comprehension skills are shite?

EDIT or maybe your objection is that the snivelling apology to Owens was on Matt Cooper and not OTB ???
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Here's what Francis said:
http://www.the42.ie/neil-francis-gay-sp ... 5-Feb2014/

Not dissimilar to what OSS said he did.

The man is an utter tool. I'm all for contrarianism, but Francis, like George Hook before him, is best ignored.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Neil Francis has been signed up by The Sunday Times.

Does anybody know if Francis still contributes to The Last Word on Today FM after his Marcus Smith comments? Had to stop listening during the pandemic.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 11:28 pm
+1
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

“the gays don’t play rugby because they’re too soft” There’s literally two gay players in the Leinster squad so that isn’t true at all
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Lock9541 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 6:40 pm
“the gays don’t play rugby because they’re too soft” There’s literally two gay players in the Leinster squad so that isn’t true at all
Their business and none of ours. Let's not comment further.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Morf wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 6:45 pm
Lock9541 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 6:40 pm

Their business and none of ours. Let's not comment further.
Exactly
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I agree 100%