Leinster's 2nd Row options

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Post by TrapperChamonix »

A lot has been said about the production line of talent coming from St Michaels College through to professional rugby. But the more extraordinary element is the production of 2nd rows from Michaels. If we accept that there are a very small population of people who are 6'6" and above its even more surprising that they have produced Ross Moloney, Oisin Dowling, James Ryan, Jack Dunne & Ryan Baird within about a 6 or 7 year period.
If I cast my mind back a number of years Leinster were scouring the country for teenage talent who had never played rugby but who were over 6'6" when all they needed to do was walk 10 min down the road :D . AFAK (I'm pretty certain) all of the 5 listed above were not targeted / poached by the school. Must be something in the water!
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Baird starting attending Michaels in 3rd year. IIRC.

6 successive age groups they produced an academy player 6'5 or taller
1994 - Ross Molony(6'6)
1995 - Josh Murphy(6'5)
1996 - James Ryan(6'8)
1997 - Oisin Dowling(6'5)
1998 - Jack Dunne(6'7)
1999 - Ryan Baird(6'6)

They don't have anyone in the 2000 age group, who is a prospect and that size, so that looks like it will end.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

TrapperChamonix wrote:A lot has been said about the production line of talent coming from St Michaels College through to professional rugby. But the more extraordinary element is the production of 2nd rows from Michaels. If we accept that there are a very small population of people who are 6'6" and above its even more surprising that they have produced Ross Moloney, Oisin Dowling, James Ryan, Jack Dunne & Ryan Baird within about a 6 or 7 year period.
If I cast my mind back a number of years Leinster were scouring the country for teenage talent who had never played rugby but who were over 6'6" when all they needed to do was walk 10 min down the road :D . AFAK (I'm pretty certain) all of the 5 listed above were not targeted / poached by the school. Must be something in the water!
I've wondered about this too. I'm not being funny but I wonder if there's a link between height and wealth? I heard a stat a while ago that the vast majority of CEOs are men who are over 6'5" or something like that. Now obviously there's a whole range of things that feed into that but I'm curious about it all.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:http://www.the42.ie/devin-toner-leinste ... 1-Sep2018/

Good article about Dev.
His unassuming nature is admirable. Loved the bit where he said his low injury profile is cos he can't run very fast!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

there probably is something to that, he isn't exactly a quick twitch athlete.

will be a great presence to have around for next 5+ years, where he will hopefully break the 300 cap mark for Leinster
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Good article about Dev.
The Toyota Hilux of the squad (not letting this analogy go).
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

riocard911 wrote:

Good article about Dev.
His unassuming nature is admirable. Loved the bit where he said his low injury profile is cos he can't run very fast!!!!
The magic he has worked on his ability (in attack) from point of tackle impact in the last 3 yrs is massive. There was a stage when he made contact he was stopped exactly where he was hit and could not use his body to gain momentum, he makes contact so much lower now and consistently gains ground. But the hands, the use of those ATAT leg-like arms has been a revelation either for presentation meters away from the tackler or in getting the ball away to a support runner.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

riocard911 wrote:

Good article about Dev.
Made a bit of a liar of himself tonight. Loved his charge down, chase and pick up - it that had been Larmour the commentators would have been beside themselves.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Xanthippe wrote:
riocard911 wrote:

Good article about Dev.
Made a bit of a liar of himself tonight. Loved his charge down, chase and pick up - it that had been Larmour the commentators would have been beside themselves.
If Larmour had been caught like TTT he would have been slated. BFG needs to push those hammys harder.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Dev is a Leinster great, always there, endlessly dependable and has added so much to his game in the last 3-4 seasons. His ball handling is super now , couple of gorgeous deft passes v Edinburgh, the charge down, endless tackling. Deserves all the plaudits and none of the criticism.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

His sidestep last night was incredible.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

mildlyinterested wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:Is Cian Prendergast not still in school? I had thought he was a 5th year last year?
No 6th year i believe.

Told he was joining UCD.
Not that I ever doubted you, but I saw Prendergast playing for UCD U20 yesterday. He's gotten bigger.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

TrapperChamonix wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:Is Cian Prendergast not still in school? I had thought he was a 5th year last year?
No 6th year i believe.

Told he was joining UCD.
Not that I ever doubted you, but I saw Prendergast playing for UCD U20 yesterday. He's gotten bigger.
:clap: how'd he get on?

UCD defeated Trinity yesterday, anything to report?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ryan Baird made his Celtic Cup debut with Dowling going off injured.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Which two second rows do we start when everyone is fit? Do we start Fardy at 6? If so, who do we leave out in the back row?

For me, we have to start Toner & Ryan. Then Fardy at 6, Leavy at 7, and then O'Brien at 8. Ruddock and VDF on the bench. Conan just hasn't had the impact in 2018 that he had in 2017.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Fardy at 6 in case of many back row injuries. Otherwise just rotate dev Ryan and him through 4 5 and 19.

Too many back row riches for 3 spots never mind 2

Although you could have periods with all 3 locks on the field depending on tactics.

You could also do mad stuff like what I call 21s.

Have VDF Leavy and SOB playing. (3 x 7s)

The combinations of a back 5 of....

Toner Ryan Fardy Ruddock Leavy Conan VDF O'Brien are mind boggling.

With Deegan and Dorris and Murphy coming through fast
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

johng wrote:Fardy at 6 in case of many back row injuries. Otherwise just rotate dev Ryan and him through 4 5 and 19.

Too many back row riches for 3 spots never mind 2

Although you could have periods with all 3 locks on the field depending on tactics.

You could also do mad stuff like what I call 21s.

Have VDF Leavy and SOB playing. (3 x 7s)

The combinations of a back 5 of....

Toner Ryan Fardy Ruddock Leavy Conan VDF O'Brien are mind boggling.

With Deegan and Dorris and Murphy coming through fast
I suppose I'm looking forward to the European matches though. For the big big games, it's hard to call who is first choice.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Touch wood if everyone is fit I suppose you could go something like Dev, Ryan, Ruddock, Conan and VDF against Wasps with Leavy and SOB on the bench (no second row cover so Ruddock to move in there in emergency )allowing you to have Lowe in the team and RPG (whos importance to the 23 keeps growing) starting/sub.

Then away to Toulouse go Dev, Ryan, Fardy, Conan and Leavy with VDF and SOB on the bench (so Ruddock misses out) with XYZ.

Obviously there is gonna be a big decision about SOB which usually goes in his favour if he is fit, he was absolutely massive away to Exeter last year (as was Rhys) so there is a good chance they will start him in the Toulouse match I reckon but I think we have enough with the other players to bring him back slowly. Then again if he is fit then he is fit.

Then you have Deegan, Murphy and Doris chomping at the bit to be involved.

Some seriously tough selection meetings ahead, it is a great position to be in. Very tough on whoever is left out just like last season when Jordi only saw a couple of minutes of European action till after Christmas and then played such a crucial role in the knockouts. Keeping all the predators at bay will be a hard job over the next few months.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

CiaranIrl wrote:Which two second rows do we start when everyone is fit? Do we start Fardy at 6? If so, who do we leave out in the back row?

For me, we have to start Toner & Ryan. Then Fardy at 6, Leavy at 7, and then O'Brien at 8. Ruddock and VDF on the bench. Conan just hasn't had the impact in 2018 that he had in 2017.
Have you watched Conan's last two matches? He was good.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!