Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:The account was 2012 and theirs some speculation that she did it premeptively as Kavanagh was the frontrunner for GOP nominee from then -it's quite the conspiracy. But then Kavangh was the guy who stirred up the Vince FOster conspiracy theories about Vince Foster(suicide) being murdered in the Clinton impeachment scandal.

Article on him here. Kind of funny seeing him railing against smear campaigns. Whether he's guilty or not, him franing a former classmate(as school teacher) last week makes him seem like a real POS.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i ... ncna907391
Yeah 2012 is the first account with a councillor after an argument with husband insisting their redeveloped home have 2 frint doors. Didn't name BK until 2016 though.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Well her inspirational appearance yesterday is totally irrelevant now. The Republicans weren't interested in asking Kavanaugh any probing questions (and yet they said it was the Democrats who weren't interested in the truth) and some even used their time to state that they'd be voting for him, they kept saying they felt sorry for both Kavanaugh and Dr. Ford (which really makes no sense at all), gave out about the Democrats trying to influence the midterms when clearly the midterms were more important to them than getting the truth, wouldn't even speak to Dr. Ford directly yet were happy to grandstand for Kavanaugh, kept going on about the timeline despite Feinstein explaining how it happened, and didn't even allow other key witnesses to testify. Utterly depressing to see these scumbags in action, hard to believe it's real life at times.

The Democrats did a really poor job at interviewing him as well but even if they had a video of the assault you'd imagine the Republicans would have written it off somehow.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Even including F1 and the Grand National, is there any major sport in which the venue could claim to be the most significant aspect in victory and defeat.

Step forward Le Golf National in Paris which staged the Ryder Cup and through its layout and preparation stripped the American favourites of their major advantages, their length, and produced a fascinating contest enjoyed by the average golfer because of the spectacle.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The will of the people in action.
Supreme Court judge appointed to office by the elected representatives of the people.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:The will of the people in action.
Supreme Court judge appointed to office by the elected representatives of the people.
That's a bit sickening
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
That's a bit sickening
You should move to Russia.
The will of the people doesn't matter there.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sh1t. Someone should move to Russia cause they don't approve of some right wing kont who may or may not have assaulted a woman many years ago and whose response was to attack with privilege rather than be classy?

Be a long list of us heading East if that was enforced.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:Sh1t. Someone should move to Russia cause they don't approve of some right wing kont who may or may not have assaulted a woman many years ago and whose response was to attack with privilege rather than be classy?

That's the whole point, right there.
You don't have to move to Russia and nobody will force you to.
Why? Because you live in a democracy, warts and all.
Or konts and all if you prefer.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
johng wrote:Sh1t. Someone should move to Russia cause they don't approve of some right wing kont who may or may not have assaulted a woman many years ago and whose response was to attack with privilege rather than be classy?

A particular type of democracy though. Jus. BK was nominated by a president who lost the popular vote.
Whilst I get the need for parties to double down on their choice, I don't like that the judge they picked is wholly aligned with the republican party and that he behaved in the most un-judgelike manner during the process. I don't like that the supreme court judges are lifelong tenants, or in choosing an appointee for a lifelong position that they (of the 24 on the shortlist) couldn't choose 1 that didn't have allegations of sexual assault over his head.
Daniel Sullivan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The US Senate isn't particularly democratic though. Wyoming (pop of 579k) has the same number of senators as California (pop of 39.5m).
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

And the states that vote a certain way are getting more populous. Wyoming (which has more electoral college votes than escalators in the state apparently) not so much.

Add into that the wide scale voter suppression and heavy gerrymandering in the US and you can see why the country isn't really rated very highly. The EIU for example downgraded it from full democracy rating to flawed.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

A particular type of democracy though. Jus. BK was nominated by a president who lost the popular vote.
Whilst I get the need for parties to double down on their choice, I don't like that the judge they picked is wholly aligned with the republican party and that he behaved in the most un-judgelike manner during the process. I don't like that the supreme court judges are lifelong tenants, or in choosing an appointee for a lifelong position that they (of the 24 on the shortlist) couldn't choose 1 that didn't have allegations of sexual assault over his head.
I'm sure you are familiar with the PR system that operates in this country.
A government can be elected with an overall majority and yet only receive as little as 44% of the vote.(a lot less than Trump received for example)
And yet PR is regarded as one of the best electoral systems in the world.
Based on a system that has been in place for quite a while and which has been used to elect many presidents, Trump was elected.
But then you all know that, when was the last time you all bellyached about the election of a US president.
The thing that surprises me most is that some of you guys are obviously well educated and quite smart and yet you can't see that the Democrats have been a disgrace.
Supreme court judges are political appointments and that's a fact of life.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:And the states that vote a certain way are getting more populous. Wyoming (which has more electoral college votes than escalators in the state apparently) not so much.

Add into that the wide scale voter suppression and heavy gerrymandering in the US and you can see why the country isn't really rated very highly. The EIU for example downgraded it from full democracy rating to flawed.
The EU are you for real?
Run by Germany for the Germans.
Check the history books, particularly WW1 and WW2.
I actually laughed at the thought that you would consider the EU as a paragon of democracy.
You sir are better than that, a lot better.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

EIU. Can you read? I picked a right wing source deliberately. Civil society groups have a lower opinion.

I didn't laugh at your ignorance. People like you vote.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:A particular type of democracy though. Jus. BK was nominated by a president who lost the popular vote.
I'm sure you are familiar with the PR system that operates in this country.
A government can be elected with an overall majority and yet only receive as little as 44% of the vote.(a lot less than Trump received for example)
And yet PR is regarded as one of the best electoral systems in the world.
Based on a system that has been in place for quite a while and which has been used to elect many presidents, Trump was elected.
But then you all know that, when was the last time you all bellyached about the election of a US president.
The thing that surprises me most is that some of you guys are obviously well educated and quite smart and yet you can't see that the Democrats have been a disgrace.
Supreme court judges are political appointments and that's a fact of life.
I would always be critical of the system first. Bush v Gore would be the last time I was pissed at the system but that was more in relation to the design of the polling card in Florida.
USA is a two party system so your comparison RE proportional rep doesn't hold much water, if you get 44% over there its because your opponents recieved almost 66%.
Again, the system is goosed over there red or blue, according to a number of senate retirees 66% their time is spent in the local rep. Or dem. Office telecalling for party donations. The democrats process for choosing new candidates up to last year (when I heard an interview with a dem that had the momentum but was not selected to run in a special election) was to "value" their phonebook i.e. there is a threshold for what you need to raise post election in order to be considered.

Yes the supreme court is a political appointment regarding the leanings of one member or the other, but interpretation of the constitution and the countries laws are or at least should be interpreted by someone with integrity and no public allegiance to a party. It also should not be a lifetime appointment, last week tonight (left wing cuckfest), aired an interview with a former supreme court justice secretary stating that they used to write legal responses based on the judges historical preferences, even overriding judges decisions because they had become senile and somewhat forgetful. Again, thats a system problem.

I don't think the dems have been a disgrace in this process, you have to view the timeline of B-Ford before making stating that, she reported it before he was nominated. You have to ask yourself the question why did they want to die on the Kavanaugh hill? Well for me it's because its the first thing since the border wall they've been able to mobilse their followers around and they played a blinder, with Flake (retiring at the end if his term) doing the no risk navel gazing etc. Their nominee has been rubber stamped by the FBI!

The republicans have embraced a false media narrative from Fox news who now work hand in glove with the current administration and feed the followers with propaganda and plain lies on a daily basis.

The country is a basket case at the moment, they have a military with numerous members overseas photographed with the Kekistan flag on their fatigues, a media that is majority owned by large corporations, hate speech protected, they have a prison system designed to keep the poorest tied into systematic incarceration, a legal and health system that rewards the wealthy and a now reprehensible record on environmental protection.

Trump made a huge play to help the coal miners of america, reopening all of the mines would have resulted in just 12000 jobs but more importantly it kept 5 large red donors very happy. Protecting JC penneys would have saved over 100000 without the environmental damage.

They are f%~ked... but I preferred when their media was freaking out bout Obama being a disgrace when he saluted a marine whilst holding a coffee.

I don't think you're wrong though, i just disagree with you. They don't call me Progressive Peg Inclusionist Leg for nothing.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:And the states that vote a certain way are getting more populous. Wyoming (which has more electoral college votes than escalators in the state apparently) not so much.

The 49 Senators who voted 'No' on Kavanaugh represent 181.8 million Americans.
The 51 Senators who voted 'Yes' represent 143.2 million.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Finally, I think democrats vote with their conscience and what they feel is right, sometimes that means voting republican. I think republicans vote for republicans or don't vote.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Lidl pumpkin patch halloween event.
Looks like a deadly event for kids to pick a pumpkin and a lot more.

All proceeds to National Centre fo youth mental health

https://www.lidl.ie/en/pumpkin-patch.htm
Daniel Sullivan