Mullet

Re: Celtic Cup

Post by D4surfer »

D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Leinster scorers:

Tries: Dave Kearney, Scott Penny [2], Bryan Byrne, Hugh O’Sullivan, Adam Byrne, Jimmy O’Brien
Conversions: Noel Reid [4 from 7]
Penalties: Noel Reid [1 from 2]

Munster scorers:

Tries: Jack Stafford, Sean French, Bill Johnston
Conversions: Bill Johnston [3 from 3]
Penalties: Bill Johnston [2 from 2]
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Bleyendal back after recovering from a long term neck injury.
Hope Murray's neck injury isn't of a similar nature.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Only saw the second half. Good to watch but Munster didn't bring much physicality at all. Just felt like we could score whenever we wanted so wasn't worried whenever Munster got close again.

The forwards all carried well, the subs had a really big impact in that regard, especially the Byrnes. Once they started to rumble Munster couldn't cope and it created loads of space out wide. Penny looks the business. He carried well, tackled well, and was strong over the ball...he's just got everything. We're obviously blessed with 7s and haven't actually missed Connors like we thought we would, but if we do end up short there later in the season I really wouldn't worry about Penny being thrown in. Usually I'd be hesitant because of his age but given the other options we have it's not like he'd be overworked and would be well able for a couple of caps. Doris got one beautiful pass away under pressure but also got stripped easily when trying to run back a restart and threw a risky offload that was knocked on. He's so good that I think it can lead to him being a bit casual at times, I'd rather he made sure to dominate physically before showing off his skills.

Vakh very impressive from what I saw. Reid's pass for his break was brilliant, picked the option really well under pressure. Reid looked pretty good to me. Not the hardest game to play at ten for but he looked comfortable in traffic and ran the attack very well. Midfield defence seemed a bit ropey but that seemed to be more around the 13 channel, was hard to tell at times though.

HOS's passing was very sharp and he did well to pick the right option when a few were available. His pass to Sylvester was excellent but we should have scored from it. Sylvester could be brilliant if he improved his passing and ability to finish overlaps, nearly always seems to hang onto it for a split second too long.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Wasn't really a match for the Munster management, more of a shopping trip.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

cormac wrote:Wasn't really a match for the Munster management, more of a shopping trip.
[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Only saw the second half. Good to watch but Munster didn't bring much physicality at all. Just felt like we could score whenever we wanted so wasn't worried whenever Munster got close again.

The forwards all carried well, the subs had a really big impact in that regard, especially the Byrnes. Once they started to rumble Munster couldn't cope and it created loads of space out wide. Penny looks the business. He carried well, tackled well, and was strong over the ball...he's just got everything. We're obviously blessed with 7s and haven't actually missed Connors like we thought we would, but if we do end up short there later in the season I really wouldn't worry about Penny being thrown in. Usually I'd be hesitant because of his age but given the other options we have it's not like he'd be overworked and would be well able for a couple of caps. Doris got one beautiful pass away under pressure but also got stripped easily when trying to run back a restart and threw a risky offload that was knocked on. He's so good that I think it can lead to him being a bit casual at times, I'd rather he made sure to dominate physically before showing off his skills.

Vakh very impressive from what I saw. Reid's pass for his break was brilliant, picked the option really well under pressure. Reid looked pretty good to me. Not the hardest game to play at ten for but he looked comfortable in traffic and ran the attack very well. Midfield defence seemed a bit ropey but that seemed to be more around the 13 channel, was hard to tell at times though.

HOS's passing was very sharp and he did well to pick the right option when a few were available. His pass to Sylvester was excellent but we should have scored from it. Sylvester could be brilliant if he improved his passing and ability to finish overlaps, nearly always seems to hang onto it for a split second too long.
They were much more competitive in the first half; it was actually very tight for the first forty. A good contest and a pretty high standard of play, with some hard-hitting defense from both sides. Bill Johnson marshals them well - he makes good decisions up and down the pitch, has a sharp passing game, kicks the goals and leads the team. I was standing directly behind the sticks at the end of the first half when they conceded a series of penalties, then a yellow card and a try off a mauled lineout, and when he had his players around him before the conversion, I heard him saying to them: "this is our discipline - we're doing this to ourselves".

It was a good point, because it's a controllable feature and there were a number of the Munster pack who were sort of petulant and immature – mouthing off at the referee, trying to bully or put pressure on the touch judge by gesturing towards him and talking at him in breaks of play ... the sort of thing that some Munster fans bizarrely see as a kind of standard setting or not taking sh*t, and the rest of us see as counter-productive arseh*le behaviour.

The Byrne brothers made a big impact when they came on at halftime – they're just such good players, they do so many things well. Intelligent, competitive, skilful ... they were quality players coming into the Leinster system, but they're really serious pros at this stage. Ross Molony was very, very good throughout and did everything well: super in the lineout, loads of carries, good tackling, some nice handling and good leadership from the front. Mick Kearney had a dreadful knock-on that directly led to one of their tries, but was tough, very physical and hard-working throughout. Scott Penny is a super openside - another two tries [seven in the last three games], a really nice line break where he beat three men, and a huge work-rate. Dooley demolished Jerry Loughman in three scrums in the first half, and Vakh Abdeladze put in a 70 minute effort that was highlighted by a super line-break and skillful inside pass for Hughie O'Sullivan's try.

The pick of the backs for me was Dave Kearney - every single thing he did, he did well. He was particularly outstanding in the air, but his pick-up and finish for the first minute try was great too. Adam took his try well, but Reider was probably the next back up behind DK ... his place-kicking wasn't good, but I thought he controlled our attack well from No10.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Leinster website wrote:It was Peter Smyth’s young Leinster ‘A’ side who kept up their winning run to set up a final trip to Wales to face the to-be-confirmed Welsh Conference winner (scarlets)
Pain in the hole that it's in Wales
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks for the added info, Hugo.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Scarlets play Dragons today and any kind of win would confirm them as our final opponents.

Cardiff got a bp win over the Ospreys and will be the opposition if Scarlets can't do the business.

Presume they will announce the final venue then.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

VENUE CHANGE | Due to hazardous playing and travel conditions @llandoveryrfc caused by yesterday's adverse weather Scarlets A v @dragonsrugby A will now be played at Ystrad Mynach at 18:00 this evening. https://t.co/DzbTnqwpwC
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Scarlets won 58 12 so it’s them in the final in Wales.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Went along on Friday and it was great. Really love watching rugby in Donnybrook.

My take on the game.

Munster were meaner from 1-8 but Leinster were considerably smarter and more skillful. Showed incredibly good D on our own line and held them out for a lot of phases. Unfortunate to concede the try and yellow, but the tackling was very impressive. Munster did well to wear us down.

Ross Molony is a real leader, Marshalled the lineout well and overall had a very good showing. It's clear he is above A level rugby.

Vakh is absolutely huge. He picked a brilliant line straight through the middle and I was impressed with his pace (Reid picked him off beautifully to be fair) really threw his weight about for 70 minutes. I am sure he will have difficulty against some wily looseheads at scrum time given his age. But he's ready for pro rugby. Am I correct in saying he missed out on the academy initially?

Kelleher was decent. Clearly a good ball carrier but totally overshadowed by a very impressive Brian Byrne. Real benchmark performance that Kelleher will have to match if he wants to see senior rugby soon.

Scott Penny is unbelievable. Hard to believe he sat his leaving in June. Seems to have a brilliant all around game. Technically excellent tackler, great eye for a turnover, lovely hands and turn of pace. I don't have stats on him but at a glance he looks a little small currently? Presumably he has 2 seasons at Under 20s but if he keeps playing like he is, I'd fancy him for a senior Leinster cap this season. Maybe for a throwaway game against a lesser team like Kings at home or Wasps away.

What I noticed about both our 9's, who I was keeping a close eye on, is they seemed more focus on pass speed rather than pass accuracy. They both have absolute bullets but there was a lot of checking to catch it from the first receiver. Will both improve with experience.

Reid was good. Tough day for placekicking and he did well enough. Didn't take it to the line a huge amount but when he did he looked dangerous. had some lovely passes. But could have exploited their centre channel a lot more - Shane Daly was completely at sea at 13.

Was interesting to see Frawley come on only at 70. And I think he went to 12. Really was expecting him to get more game time at 10 in this part of the season.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Penny is 100kgs and 1.82m according to the info provided by Leinster. He's 19 so only has this season at U-20.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

cormac wrote:Penny is 100kgs and 1.82m according to the info provided by Leinster. He's 19 so only has this season at U-20.
Hmmm. Maybe a tad on the short side. Smaller than all of the senior back rows.

Although to be fair, Chris Cloete is shorter than him.

Looking forward to seeing him at U20
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Kelleher was decent. Clearly a good ball carrier but totally overshadowed by a very impressive Brian Byrne. Real benchmark performance that Kelleher will have to match if he wants to see senior rugby soon.
Absolutely agree with you on Kelleher, and I'm a big fan of his. But the two Byrne brothers were simply outstanding when they came on.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Penny has only 1 year at u20.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

How did we go at centre. Not seeing any comments on the O’Briens.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

molloyjh wrote:How did we go at centre. Not seeing any comments on the O’Briens.
Didn't notice a huge amount of O'Brien.

Munster rarely moved the ball out that way.

We certainly made a lot of hay down their 13 channel and I think JOB played a part in that, but I didn't see too much of him

Daly was at 12 and similarly was ok. Industrious in tight carries and made some hits but didn't see too much of him