The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by deco »

tomthefan wrote:
ribs wrote:Eh for the Irish rugby side, it is exactly that “prejudice “ that is required, unless they are project players
He was referring to project players in his remarks and pretty much targeting one in particular.
We should absolutely be playing local players over project players if they are of similar ability (which is the case in the back row). Given your support for "Munster", I wouldn't expect you to either understand or agree.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

deco wrote:
tomthefan wrote:
ribs wrote:Eh for the Irish rugby side, it is exactly that “prejudice “ that is required, unless they are project players
He was referring to project players in his remarks and pretty much targeting one in particular.
We should absolutely be playing local players over project players if they are of similar ability (which is the case in the back row). Given your support for "Munster", I wouldn't expect you to either understand or agree.
I agree with this. Can see a reasoning for having Aki there for the time being, Stander at a push, but with the likes of Roux and Herring, I'd definitely prefer an Irish lad in there.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Personally don't even know why it is an argument.

Joe Schmidt is a Rugby coach why should he choose one player over another player for anything but Rugby reasons? They are either qualified and willing to play for Ireland or not.

If there is a problem with the qualification process then change it (Oh wait! they have. Problem solved)
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

I have to agree that while it is preferable to have home grown Irish players representing the national team, sometimes imports will be selected when needed. These brought in players come in two categories project player who qualify by being resident and playing in the country for a defined period and the second group who qualify by having a Granny or Grandad who is Irish. Now this might sound odd maybe even crazy but I think the player who comes here and commits for 3 or 5 years is more qualified than someone who has never been here but has an Irish relative
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:Personally don't even know why it is an argument.

Joe Schmidt is a Rugby coach why should he choose one player over another player for anything but Rugby reasons? They are either qualified and willing to play for Ireland or not.

If there is a problem with the qualification process then change it (Oh wait! they have. Problem solved)
If (I don't know how one might prove it) the fall in Munster support (if I'm wrong about it falling then read no further) is due to too many non locals in the team then there is a problem.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

By the way unlike some posters I have no intention of making personal attacks against individual players
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Any player that qualifies to play for Ireland and manages to get capped for Ireland is an Irish player. It is that effing simple.

Until a test of the modh coinniollach and certificate of pre-famine bloodlines are required, we will make do with the same rules as everybody else. If Stander was a Leinster project would we be setting a higher bar than the rules require?
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

olaf the fat wrote:Any player that qualifies to play for Ireland and manages to get capped for Ireland is an Irish player. It is that effing simple.

Until a test of the modh coinniollach and certificate of pre-famine bloodlines are required, we will make do with the same rules as everybody else. If Stander was a Leinster project would we be setting a higher bar than the rules require?
Everyone knows the rule, just sharing opinions on it. Relax
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Laighin Break wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:Any player that qualifies to play for Ireland and manages to get capped for Ireland is an Irish player. It is that effing simple.

Share away
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

olaf the fat wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:

Share away
Hey! You seem fairly relaxed to me...... :P
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Xanax on draught :D
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Just for the record, as the way this discussion had gone is a bit tribal; my preference for Rhys or Seanie instead of Stander at 8/6, was in no way based on his lack of Irishness- or whatever. Nor was it incidentally based on he being a Munster player, and the two lads from this parish. I just rate both of them higher than CJ in the positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

I would say in all positions there are players who may be better in some aspects of the game than the player currently but the coach is probably looking from a slightly different perspective and while I wouldn't always be Joe Schmidt's greatest fan I have to admit he has got the vast majority of the calls right in his selection so far
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I like to think that the international team represents Ireland as it is now, not who was born here 20-35 years ago. Where Aki was born doesnt really matter to me, I think he's earned the right to be called a Connacht man. He represents the people of Connacht and does so well.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

An empty stadium and a load of South African rugby players, this must feel like a home game for Munster.

Their midfield defence is so poor at times, curious to see if the guys in the studio even notice that Arnold isn't actually the 13.

Bill Johnston looks brilliant already, hope he keeps it up.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:An empty stadium and a load of South African rugby players, this must feel like a home game for Munster.
Oh you DAWG!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Toyota branding too
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Wow 26-30 win for PFKAM having gone behind and recovered to lead, but IK missed conversion before getting a late penalty. They then finishing defending their line from the last play.

What struck me most, because they had the ref mike on full volume, is how much the Ref, Marius Mitrea, talked throughout the game. Mostly good intelligent stuff, but a lot of it.

Good win for a scratch team full of youth, by the time they finished.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Wow 26-30 win for PFKAM having gone behind and recovered to lead, but IK missed conversion before getting a late penalty. They then finishing defending their line from the last play.

What struck me most, because they had the ref mike on full volume, is how much the Ref, Marius Mitrea, talked throughout the game. Mostly good intelligent stuff, but a lot of it.

Fair play, the Cheaters beat the Cheetahs.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Wow 26-30 win for PFKAM having gone behind and recovered to lead, but IK missed conversion before getting a late penalty. They then finishing defending their line from the last play.

He’s becoming one of the best refs in European rugby. Clear communication and consistent decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"