6 Nations (Women)

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: 6 Nations (Women)

Post by blockhead »

Ireland looked a little better last night than they did in the World Cup, just a little. Lots of changes in the squad, 9 newcomers. Although the handling in general was better it fell apart anytime they got into the redzone. Our fullback Flood, had a bad game and let in a least 2 of their tries.
Englands title to loose.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

You have to admire the chutzpah of the IRFU. Less than a fortnight after the release of the Women in Rugby Action Plan they announce that Ireland's opening (home) 6 Nations fixture, against the English, will kick off at 5pm on a Friday - thus severely limiting the amount of people who can go and equally limiting the ability of those who can't go to watch the game.
I have Bumbleflex
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Dave Cahill wrote:You have to admire the chutzpah of the IRFU. Less than a fortnight after the release of the Women in Rugby Action Plan they announce that Ireland's opening (home) 6 Nations fixture, against the English, will kick off at 5pm on a Friday - thus severely limiting the amount of people who can go and equally limiting the ability of those who can't go to watch the game.
Any idea why that time? Is it a double header with the u20s or anything?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Under 20 matches are being played in Cork
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote:You have to admire the chutzpah of the IRFU. Less than a fortnight after the release of the Women in Rugby Action Plan they announce that Ireland's opening (home) 6 Nations fixture, against the English, will kick off at 5pm on a Friday - thus severely limiting the amount of people who can go and equally limiting the ability of those who can't go to watch the game.
I'd imagine that this is so both the womens game and U20's can both be shown on TV. It's likely that the 20's will draw a much bigger TV audience.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Well by playing it at 5 they've ensured it will. Few will be able to watch it and fewer will be able to go.

Then the next time the women get uppity the Union can say 'sure no one watches or goes to your games'. Its the Leinster women's replica kit stratagem
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote:Well by playing it at 5 they've ensured it will. Few will be able to watch it and fewer will be able to go.

Then the next time the women get uppity the Union can say 'sure no one watches or goes to your games'. Its the Leinster women's replica kit stratagem
That decision was out of the IRFUs hands, something to with Scotland doing a solo and not consulting with their celtic cousins on scheduling. Record crowd BTW for that game last week in Donnybrook, well done the IRFU :clap: .
And they shown the Womens tonight but not the U20s, and after last week I'd say a lot of people would have liked to see the U20s.
As for the game tonight, good win, a loss would have been a very worrying against a side that got hammered by Italy last week. Molloy and Griffin were quiet by their usual standards, Claffey at 12 looks good and makes yards everytime she gets the ball.
Caplice got POTM and deserved it. Our 9, Hughes, you just never know where the ball is gonna end up after it leaves her hands. We still haven't got anyone who can kick points unless its in front of the posts. Pack is good, backs are a disjointed rabble. Eng v Fra on Sunday could be a classic.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

blockhead wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Well by playing it at 5 they've ensured it will. Few will be able to watch it and fewer will be able to go.

That decision was out of the IRFUs hands, something to with Scotland doing a solo and not consulting with their celtic cousins on scheduling. Record crowd BTW for that game last week in Donnybrook, well done the IRFU :clap: .
And they shown the Womens tonight but not the U20s, and after last week I'd say a lot of people would have liked to see the U20s.
As for the game tonight, good win, a loss would have been a very worrying against a side that got hammered by Italy last week. Molloy and Griffin were quiet by their usual standards, Claffey at 12 looks good and makes yards everytime she gets the ball.
Caplice got POTM and deserved it. Our 9, Hughes, you just never know where the ball is gonna end up after it leaves her hands. We still haven't got anyone who can kick points unless its in front of the posts. Pack is good, backs are a disjointed rabble. Eng v Fra on Sunday could be a classic.
Ireland won 22-5 btw BP win.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Wasn't able to see most of it but last night's conditions were truly awful.
Well done ladies.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Italy 3-3 Wales. Now that's a real game of rugger.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

First start for Old Belvo and Ulster Scrum half, Kathryn Dane, possibly destined for all sorts of stardom:

https://c2.thejournal.ie/media/2019/02/ ... 90x285.jpg
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote:First start for Old Belvo and Ulster Scrum half, Kathryn Dane, possibly destined for all sorts of stardom:

https://c2.thejournal.ie/media/2019/02/ ... 90x285.jpg
She's highly rated. Perfect opportunity to give her a first start. Hughes passing was awful in the last game, killed any attacking threat we had.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Very exciting match, and Dane has been outstanding
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

She really was, every single pass seemed to be spot on and she kept it up until the very end.

Pity abut the result but that was the best international game I watched this weekend. Not convinced by Ciara Griffin, and Fowley isn't great, but if they could improve in those areas and midfield defence then they'd be a much better side, lots of talent elsewhere. I assume Lyons and Claffey will miss the last two games though and they're important.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Her speed to the breakdown was great as well, she always seemed to be there in the nick of time even when she had to crawl over the debris in the way! Super performance
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah and when you consider that it was her debut and the match was really fast it was even more impressive to keep going to the end, she looked like she barely broke sweat.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:She really was, every single pass seemed to be spot on and she kept it up until the very end.

Pity abut the result but that was the best international game I watched this weekend. Not convinced by Ciara Griffin, and Fowley isn't great, but if they could improve in those areas and midfield defence then they'd be a much better side, lots of talent elsewhere. I assume Lyons and Claffey will miss the last two games though and they're important.
I don't claim any particular knowledge or research into the Women's game in Ireland but the latest 6N performance against Italy suggests that Coach Adam Griggs and his Assistants have got this Squad playing a game that suit their skills and those skills are improving all the time.

In the first game against England I was very impressed by Coffey & Niupu at centre and the full-back. Yesterday, scrum-half and back-row were excellent and Lyons was, as always, highly effective. Well done ladies on your work-rate. And well done Coaches on your development work and keep at it. Passes out front. Tackles low and hard ( except from full-back) and lots of good ball placement and snappy passing. Great to see despite the result.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Claire Molloy taking a break from rugby to focus on her medical career in Wales. That's a huge blow.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Claire Molloy taking a break from rugby to focus on her medical career in Wales. That's a huge blow.
World Class player.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Today sees the Return of the Goose
I have Bumbleflex