Podcasts

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Podcasts

Post by The Doc »

Dave Cahill wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Time is very, very long, space is very, very large, the speed of light is a constant.

Did I mention how big space was, just how giant the distance between stars and galaxies?

The average span of existence of a mammal species on earth is around a million years, we're near that, and we've been communicating in a way visible to others for what, .01% of that time? enough time to reach the tiniest, absolutely unmentionably small percentage of the known universe with the weakest signals.

What would be a paradox, or at least an event of unimaginable unlikeliness based on what we know now, is if anyone showed up and got back to us.

I don't see any paradox in the vastness of space (and the only recently confirmed existence and proliferation of exoplanets), the likely reproducability of evolution (and the seeding of planets with organic matter from comets) and the fact that we have never met aliens.
Did I mention that time is very long? This planet is what, 6 billion years old and we've been around for on six thousandth of that and emitting radio for one 10 thousandth of that...
...reminded me of...
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Do we all have our towels?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I think someone needs a go in the total perspective vortex
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:I think someone needs a go in the total perspective vortex
(a) assumes we are sentient - debateable
(b) you think we need a sense of perspective on a rugby forum? - may I redirect you to GWLAD or The42 - or any Welsh regional forum

:D
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Only Zaphod can survive it
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dave Cahill wrote: ...reminded me of...
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Because that's where I learnt the meaning of liff.
Peg Leg wrote:Yeah, the paradox arises from that statement. Life developed very quickly here, it should have done so closer to the centre of the universe, ergo other civilisations should have come and gone and we should be picking up signs of their existence even if they are extinct. This planet emits radio waves across a huge frequency range. We have launched satellites that have gone interstellar. Surely they have too and should have done so from multiple solar systems millions of yrs ago.
Well borderline interstellar, and only one so far I thought though another might be soonish (I read reports of changes in the radiation environment over the summer). But that won't help as it's attempting to beam directed signals at us and won't be leaking anything willy nilly. As an aside I love Carl Sagan's response to the question "why didn't you have Bach on the record rather than Beethoven so that aliens could truly appreciate what we can do" - because that would be boasting.

I don't know if it's true, but I'm believing it anyway as it's so good.

Anyway, to your perspective on it. If I accept what you say as being true (and I don't necessarily) we would also have to be looking for the tiniest neutrino needle in the largest haystack on something like an NSA scale of investment ramped up to deal with the vastness of space.

And we just aren't. We'd need to redesignate those hypothetical aliens as "terrorists" or "illegals" before that would happen.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Peg Leg wrote:The end of the world with Josh Clarke is fab. It's about existential threat and life in our universe. FAB
Ep4 AI has scared the sh!t out of me and I will now commit myself to hunting down those who work to develop it.
The episode described as an example how a self improving AI designed purely for the manufacturing of paperclips could result in the end of mankind and many other risks, explanations etc.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The Daily from the NY Times. 30mins well produced news.
Daniel Sullivan
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

I was listening to the thisiscriminalpodcast last night,the episode about the streaker, Mark Roberts. he once streaked at the 2004 superbowl the same one where Janet Jackson's boob escaped. Anyway apparently a programmer frustrated at not being able to get a clip of Nipplegate started youtube as a result as a place for people to share video clips.
All video clips courtesy of youtube, viewer discretion advised.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

OTB have an interview this week "Trevor Ringland: Life and rugby during the troubles" on their Highlights section. Interesting interview
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The RTE Rugby Podcast seems to have fairly randomly popped back up, for a so called national broadcaster they just don't give a sh!t about the sport only giving coverage around major internationals, ill informed would be putting it mildly in terms of some of the contributions to it, Wes Liddy? what's that all about.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Yet another high-grade rugby discussion on the Molecast #25. Three lads who know their rugby and analyse the prospects and reports without bias. 50 mins plus of intelligent analysis without ego.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RTE's Brexit republic. Was put onto it by a 5* review on politico.
Daniel Sullivan
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Peg Leg wrote:RTE's Brexit republic. Was put onto it by a 5* review on politico.
If you want Brexit related stuff - Remainiacs is a good weekly podcast (from an obvious point of view). If you want to hear from the other corner, the Telegraph have "Choppers Brexit Podcast" - I listen to both though through gritted teeth for the latter
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Yet another high-grade rugby discussion on the Molecast #25. Three lads who know their rugby and analyse the prospects and reports without bias. 50 mins plus of intelligent analysis without ego.
Big fan of the Molecast. If I had one recommendation, it would be for a slightly shorter pod. The guys are super knowledgeable but it was down to, say, 35-40 mins, the content would be unreal. I usually find that after the 40 minute mark I start to lose focus
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Michael Lewis has a podcast series out called "Against The Rules" about 'refereeing' in sport,finance, art and other industries. I've listened to a few and it's very good
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Laighin Break wrote:Michael Lewis has a podcast series out called "Against The Rules" about 'refereeing' in sport,finance, art and other industries. I've listened to a few and it's very good
Same. I usually don't trust a podcast when it's been snuck in like this was on the back of Revisionist History but it's really good. I particularly enjoyed the first episode.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:Michael Lewis has a podcast series out called "Against The Rules" about 'refereeing' in sport,finance, art and other industries. I've listened to a few and it's very good
Same. I usually don't trust a podcast when it's been snuck in like this was on the back of Revisionist History but it's really good. I particularly enjoyed the first episode.
In fairness Malcolm Gladwell has some involvement with the podcast
I wouldn't have found out about the podcast otherwise if it wasn't piggybacking on other podcasts. I found as it This American Life played the first episode on one of theirs.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I meant that most others that have appeared in my feed like that have been sh!t, not that I don't think they should do it.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

suisse wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Yet another high-grade rugby discussion on the Molecast #25. Three lads who know their rugby and analyse the prospects and reports without bias. 50 mins plus of intelligent analysis without ego.
Big fan of the Molecast. If I had one recommendation, it would be for a slightly shorter pod. The guys are super knowledgeable but it was down to, say, 35-40 mins, the content would be unreal. I usually find that after the 40 minute mark I start to lose focus
So do we!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

hugonaut wrote:
suisse wrote:
So do we!
I'm the opposite - I prefer the depth and details that a longer podcast allows. There is enough 20-30 min froth out there where half the time is taken up by the questions because the interviewer likes hearing his own voice (I'm looking at you Newstalk)