Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by rooster »

johng wrote:Jaysus Ulster are badly stuck if they are relying on Eddie O'Sullivan for loose head. It's been many years since he played.... And he was a winger then.
Well in all seriousness it is Eric O'Sullivan ex Leinster age grade and Trinity college player, seems a decent prospect
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

gotta say I'm excited to see Baloucoune and what he can do. wonder will he make the transition
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

rooster wrote:
johng wrote:Jaysus Ulster are badly stuck if they are relying on Eddie O'Sullivan for loose head. It's been many years since he played.... And he was a winger then.
Well in all seriousness it is Eric O'Sullivan ex Leinster age grade and Trinity college player, seems a decent prospect
I knew that! :mullet 1: It's less fun though. Never saw Yerman Balcony in action. But he sounds like he could be exciting
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

5 pointer for Ulster and another try for Shanahan. The turnaround continues.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not saying I think he's top class but I never got the hate for Shanahan, always seemed decent to me.

Ulster really are a very stupid team, so many idiotic penalties over the last few games. The set piece is a disaster as well and the combination of the two just puts them under so much pressure.

I know they won last night and played some good stuff but the Dragons can't defend and there's no way they'd have got away with so many inaccuracies against a better side. There were so many occasions where a forward was in the way of the halfbacks, a pass was dragged back way too far, or players were isolated but had the ball flung to them anyway. They're better when play breaks up but they really need to sort out some basic stuff.

Marty really does look much better around the pitch than he did at Wasps but I wonder if slimming down has ruined his scrummaging? I'm not blaming the scrum issues on him but he was certainly struggling.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Chris Henry is the latest player to retire.......

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2018/11/chr ... to-retire/
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

They actually look like they could do with a couple of short-term signings in the pack for the rest of the season. That's Pete Browne, Jean Deysel and Chris Henry all retired in the last month.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

cormac wrote:They actually look like they could do with a couple of short-term signings in the pack for the rest of the season. That's Pete Browne, Jean Deysel and Chris Henry all retired in the last month.
And Bowe, Payne, Trimble, Marshall at the end of last season, Piatau gone too not to mention Olding and Jackson!
Henry was a fine player on his day, when Ireland called he was not found wanting.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Henry was a superb player. He unfortunatley always seemed to get injured around the time of the international call-ups which means his cap tally isn't as high as it should be. An amazing player and a huge influence up in Ulster.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote:Henry was a superb player. He unfortunatley always seemed to get injured around the time of the international call-ups which means his cap tally isn't as high as it should be. An amazing player and a huge influence up in Ulster.
Agree and he had to contend with Kidney's period in office regarding winning caps.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Ah You moves to Newcastle with immediate effect.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/46260660
Anyone But New Zealand
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Getting game time for the World Cup?

Remember someone on here thought that Les Kiss would get him fit and get the best out of him? :lol:

Despite being so wrong before, wouldn't be shocked if Richards managed to get something out of him for a short while. What a waste though, really talented player.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Ulster are down to only two LH props you wonder if there isn't a need for a medical joker
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

sunshiner1 wrote:Ulster are down to only two LH props you wonder if there isn't a need for a medical joker
2 fit and registered LHs for Friday's game in Llanelli. There are 3 players still registered in the Euro Squad who are no longer at the club (Ah You, Henry and Deysel)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

O'Sullivan is starting and McCall is on the bench.

There's a lot to like in that Ulster side but you just never really know how they're going to perform, especially away from home. I'm hoping that Henderson and Jordi can drag that pack to a performance and if they do then they have a chance. Jordi has been in really good form recently, thought he was a class above last week.

Burns is probably the key though. I don't rate him but he does have talent so fingers crossed he can deliver. I'd expect a big performance from Cooney as well. I felt his form dipped a bit when he was wearing the headgear and I think it suits him better to be the main man rather than his role for Ireland which was more about playing the system and just playing for his tens. That said, I didn't think he was bad against the US, got a lot of criticism but I thought he was fine.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

4 homegrown ulster men in starting XV
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Burns is cr@p

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ulster team to play Scarlets:

(15-9): L Ludik; H Speight, W Addison, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; B Burns, J Cooney;

(1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Best (captain), M Moore, I Henderson, K Treadwell, S Reidy, J Murphy, M Coetzee;

Replacements (16-23): R Herring, K McCall, T O’Toole, M Rea, N Timoney, D Shanahan, J McPhillips, D Cave.

5 Leinster guy's in the 23
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Stockdale!
What a player.
3-8 to Ulster 15mins gone
Stadium half full, all BODs fault.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ulster making a fair first of this. Good game.