Techy advice needed

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Techy advice needed

Post by Oldschool »

I'm in the process of buying a new PC.
However before I do, I want to be able to run either a Windows or Android operating system as required.
Any pointers.
For example should I get an extra hard drive and install an Android op system on it and just from it as required.
Any recommendations on a specific android op supplier, don't mind paying for it as this is going to be a one off and Santa is smiling in my direction.
Can and android op system run Perl or if not another script language.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

A few things first.

1) Why android, over say Linux? Android is meant for tablets and phones. There are some laptop varients, but they aren't really that well supported.

2) By PC you definitely mean one that sits on your desk at home?

The answers will help with the answers we give you
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:A few things first.

1) Why android, over say Linux? Android is meant for tablets and phones. There are some laptop varients, but they aren't really that well supported.

2) First. PC on my desk at home.
1) I want to be able to run 4 perl scripts on my phone (android os) (when I'm abroad) on a daily basis and then transfer the results to my PC.
2) I also want to be able to run a couple of android apps on my PC (Modbro I've tried this on my phone and it's very useful when abroad. Showbox, I've heard this is good too but I'm wary of putting it on my phone tbh)

I wrote the perl scripts myself but I think I could manage to rewrite them in a different script language if it were more appropriate.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Linux sounds like what you want so.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:Linux sounds like what you want so.
Thanks I'll check it out.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschool wrote:
FLIP wrote:A few things first.

2) First. PC on my desk at home.
1) I want to be able to run 4 perl scripts on my phone (android os) (when I'm abroad) on a daily basis and then transfer the results to my PC.
2) I also want to be able to run a couple of android apps on my PC (Modbro I've tried this on my phone and it's very useful when abroad. Showbox, I've heard this is good too but I'm wary of putting it on my phone tbh)

I wrote the perl scripts myself but I think I could manage to rewrite them in a different script language if it were more appropriate.
Showbox isn't so good anymore. It has the best interface of any of those apps and it used to be great, but then their main server went (supposedly it got taken out in a storm) so they just have Torrents which don't seem to work as well, and often have shows/films up but nothing actually there.
I use Morpheus TV at the moment which is great. Unfortunately they don't have a 'recently added' list and you need to sign up for something to 'favourite' a show/film, so I still use Showbox to see what's new, and then watch it with Morpheus TV.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

If you specifically want to run android apps on a PC platform this might work:

http://www.phoenixos.com/download

You could partition 1 drive between the two operating systems - it shouldn't really cause any problems.

With the perl scripts though surely you'd be able to run that in Windows?
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:If you specifically want to run android apps on a PC platform this might work:

You could partition 1 drive between the two operating systems - it shouldn't really cause any problems.

Gotcha on the partition thingee.
I presume it would mean I'd have to reinstall the windows os or am I wrong.
I need perl or some other script language to run on my android phone when I'm abroad.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Thinking of upgrading the home cinema experience, anyone got any Bluray and 5.1 speakers system recommendations?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

TerenureJim wrote:Thinking of upgrading the home cinema experience, anyone got any Bluray and 5.1 speakers system recommendations?
https://www.harmankardon.co.uk/receiver ... S+635.html

This looks a good deal on the old black Friday in the UK. Don't know if the tech is any good though
Anyone But New Zealand
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

FLIP wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Thinking of upgrading the home cinema experience, anyone got any Bluray and 5.1 speakers system recommendations?

This looks a good deal on the old black Friday in the UK. Don't know if the tech is any good though
Yeah have to admit ignorance on that brand although based on a quick wiki seems it was big for audiophiles in the 70's
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote:
FLIP wrote:If you specifically want to run android apps on a PC platform this might work:

I need perl or some other script language to run on my android phone when I'm abroad.
I think you can resize the partition that windows is on within windows. However I'm not sure that phoenix os would have a boot selector installer with it. You might be better off running it off a usb drive instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUVYRJW5fA

See that for more detail.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

I think you can resize the partition that windows is on within windows. However I'm not sure that phoenix os would have a boot selector installer with it. You might be better off running it off a usb drive instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUVYRJW5fA

See that for more detail.
Thanks I think that will be just the job.
First install on a usb stick worked grand except for the language, my Chinese isn't great.
Will pay more attention next time.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
And questions, they made me think a bit more about what I want to do.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote:Thanks I think that will be just the job.
First install on a usb stick worked grand except for the language, my Chinese isn't great.
Will pay more attention next time.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
And questions, they made me think a bit more about what I want to do.
First rule of working in IT. Work out what the end user really wants to do. :lol:
Anyone But New Zealand
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

TerenureJim wrote:
FLIP wrote:

Yeah have to admit ignorance on that brand although based on a quick wiki seems it was big for audiophiles in the 70's
It is an upgrade option in BMW's this past number of years, plus they do a lot of PC speakers, didn't know they did home cinema stuff as well.
I have an oldish Sony Amp system, weighs a ton and takes up a shelf on its own but it can shake the house down through a set of Mordaunt Short 5.1 speakers
It's like anything in HiFi the sky is the limit if your pocket is big enough and it really depends on room size what you need, also neighbours need considered, mine are half a mile away so I don't worry !
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

There is always this type of system without the whole amplifier set
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-ho ... lsrc=aw.ds
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Curiosity question.
What/who are registered users bingbot Googlebot and other ????bots
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

I think they scan the site so it pops up on search results. Could be completely wrong though!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschool wrote:Curiosity question.
What/who are registered users bingbot Googlebot and other ????bots
They are search engine bots (Google & Bing) - they trawl the internet cataloguing content for search engine results. A website owner has an option of setting a "no index" flag on a website to avoid being captured by search engines
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ok so don't laugh but can anyone recommend a tech shop/service in town to upgrade a PCs from windows vista to Windows 10, I think it has to step to Windows 7 and then 10 as looking around online there's no one step move. The PC itself is fairly high end (well it was when purchased) and prefer to just update if possible rather than have to splash out on a new laptop although maybe I'm just kidding myself.

Also see rant thread