Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by neill_m »

neill_m wrote:Huw Jones to Tigers is the rumour. Article says he turned down £375k/year to stay at Glasgow. Offered more at Leicester.
Another source has the SRU offer at £230k/year with Tigers offering North of £300k/year.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

neill_m wrote:
neill_m wrote:Huw Jones to Tigers is the rumour. Article says he turned down £375k/year to stay at Glasgow. Offered more at Leicester.
Another source has the SRU offer at £230k/year with Tigers offering North of £300k/year.
That's mad because they already have Tuilagi and Toomua on the books(though Toomua could be off at the end of the season). Musn't have much faith in Tuilagi staying fit.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

paddyor wrote:
neill_m wrote:
That's mad because they already have Tuilagi and Toomua on the books(though Toomua could be off at the end of the season). Musn't have much faith in Tuilagi staying fit.
Toomua going back to Australia at season's end to play SR with the Rebels and get into RWC squad etc
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Rumours Tuilagi off to Racing
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

sunshiner1 wrote:Glasgow strike me the same as Connacht after they won the Pro14. A small club who did well and were then stripped of their assetts by bigger clubs. Victims of their own success
To a large extent yes. We can't compete with the English, French or Leinsters of the world.

Hogg was always going to go. Fair enough.
Jones doesn't exactly look like he wants to be in Glasgow too start with. Arrived early 2018 I think. Straight into the middle of the season with a team playing rubbish. He's then been injured. Not sure he's that much of a loss as we've barely seen him. The loss is what he has the potential to be.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Great try by McKinley!
Che 21-25 Ben 9mins to go.

BP for Cheetahs 28-25 5mins to go

Finished 31-25, Benetton looked bollixed at the end.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It's the high field init
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Watched Connacht this afternoon. Very good win, but the practice of same country referees needs to stop. It’s not that the referee necessarily did anything wrong, it’s the incredulity of the home commentators. Now far be it from me to tell Robie Kempson about scrummaging, but, as South African tv commentator he is trying to tell me that the Kings loosehead Mguca was being hard done by. The man was scrummaging with his left leg about a yard to the side of the scrum before the ball was going in. Connacht were marching them backwards anytime they tried to scrum legally, Robbie and his co-commentator were having a right go at the referee on it.

We also had situations were the commentators were incorrect in what they thought the referee had said but kind of holding that up as evidence of poor refereeing. It’s one eyed commentary, but in a multi nation league you are gonna get that. I don’t think it’s fair to hold a referee to that and it just also has a bad look. The casual observer leaves that game saying we wuz robbed. At least in those instances, they weren’t, but it’s still just a bad look.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Fan with smartphone wrote: Very good win, but the practice of same country referees needs to stop.
I'm being a bit contrarian, but is from outside the province or region not enough? What do they do in the premiership or the top 14? If toulouse are playing biarritz, does the ref have to be from Paris? Or just not from those cities or what? Can we not think of it in those terms.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

I take your point and it’s enough for me myself, but I think it’s working out a bit different in practice.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Watched Connacht this afternoon. Very good win, but the practice of same country referees needs to stop. It’s not that the referee necessarily did anything wrong, it’s the incredulity of the home commentators. Now far be it from me to tell Robie Kempson about scrummaging, but, as South African tv commentator he is trying to tell me that the Kings loosehead Mguca was being hard done by. The man was scrummaging with his left leg about a yard to the side of the scrum before the ball was going in. Connacht were marching them backwards anytime they tried to scrum legally, Robbie and his co-commentator were having a right go at the referee on it.

We also had situations were the commentators were incorrect in what they thought the referee had said but kind of holding that up as evidence of poor refereeing. It’s one eyed commentary, but in a multi nation league you are gonna get that. I don’t think it’s fair to hold a referee to that and it just also has a bad look. The casual observer leaves that game saying we wuz robbed. At least in those instances, they weren’t, but it’s still just a bad look.
Well if they understand the referee incorrectly, that's just as likely to happen with a Welsh or Scottish ref.
The commentators might in general just be a bit biased. They certainly disagreed with the ref giving Leinster scrum penalties in the Kings game.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Round 10 fixtures:

Friday November 30

7:35pm Munster v Edinburgh Premier Sports 2 / Eir Sport 1
7:35pm Ospreys v Zebre Premier Sports 1 / Eir Sport 2

Saturday December 1

3pm Ulster v Cardiff Blues Premier Sports 1 / Eir Sport 2
3pm Cheetahs v Connacht Premier Sports 2 / Eir Sport 1
5:15pm Dragons v Leinster Premier Sports 2 / Eir Sport 1 / TG4
5:15pm Glasgow v Scarlets Premier Sports 1 / Eir Sport 2 / S4C
5:15pm Southern Kings v Benetton Free Sports
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Glasgow 29-20 Scarlets. Cracking game. Watch it on Rugbylist.
Glasgow down to 14 men after 18mins.
Glasgow have found a nugget in Brandon Thomson, 24pts in the game, I think he's a saffer.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Crusaders assistant coach Brad Mooar will succeed Wayne Pivac as Scarlets head coach at the end of the season
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Really interested to read Hogg's comments that he chose Exeter for two reasons: a) his admiration for Rob Baxter and, b) the similarity of Exeter countryside to that of Hawick where he lives at present. Money was not a critical factor.
Oh FFS! That’s on a par for eye-rolling rubbish with Matt Williams’s claim that he stayed with us in the early Noughties because of the view he spied of the province from the plane window as he flew in to Dublin to the crucial meeting in the negotiation of his contract. That too, as I recall had a big bump.

I really wish they’d just say they moved for ambition or/ and money- or even family reasons. I don’t think we think any the worse of them. But the scenery! Jaysus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Dragons have parted company with head coach Bernard Jackman.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neill_m wrote:Dragons have parted company with head coach Bernard Jackman.
No surprise. Hope he can work his magic next with Munster. :lol:
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

No surprise. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
No surprise. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.
That's harsh, he made a huge difference at Grenoble [although much of that probably due to their attitude to training and S&C at the time].
He should look at the D2 league to continue his career IMO.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan